Period? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-27-2008, 03:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When is one supposed to start menstruating after birth?
I am REALLY enjoying having no period but am wondering when things get back to normal. I'm 10 weeks post partum.

Also, what type, if any, of health check up is done after birth?
MW did a quick check at 6 weeks & was great.
However am starting to feel my episiotomy scar suddenly and maybe I bounced back to fast to my regular tempo of life and now don't feel so good (or sleep deprived but it seems physical, mentally I am extremely happy with baby : but my body feels like it is going downhill suddenly). My abdominal strength is diminishing--it was stronger a few weeks ago but now I can barely get up off the floor let alone do a sit up which was possible before, but suddenly this week I can't do anything!) hmmm advice?.
#2 of 6 Old 11-27-2008, 06:03 AM

There really is no normal time to get your period back. If you are going all night without feeding, expect it sooner, as a general rule, but still every woman is different. You could get it tomorrow or in two years.

I have no idea when checkups typically happen over there but I just had one 8 wk pp and that's it.
#3 of 6 Old 11-27-2008, 04:24 PM

Yeah....the period thing really depends...and not only from woman to woman, but from baby to baby.

My first nursed every two hours, night and day, and it was a year before I got my first period.

#2...good sleeper at night..6 straight hours of sleep sometimes!! My period was back at 3 months!!! I was so disappointed, but I'll take sleep over having a period any day.

#3...almost at 3 months and no period yet. I'm crossing my fingers it'll be awhile yet!!! However, he does go awhile at night (I've turned the clock down so I have no idea how long.

Regarding the tiredness, no telling! Take it easy and if it gets any worse you may want to get checked out.
#4 of 6 Old 11-27-2008, 04:29 PM

Saw your message when I clicked on New Posts.

My periods have stayed away a long time with each of my three kids: 17 months, 26 months, and 20 months respectively. All three nursed around the clock freely (no night weaning, which I've read makes a difference). I think being on a restricted diet due to my second child's food allergies and having lost A LOT of weight may have had something to do with taking so long for my cycles to return that time.

Michele, mom of DD 5/01, DD 11/03, and DS 11/06

http://michelepixels.com/

#5 of 6 Old 11-28-2008, 08:37 PM

It just depends on you. I have no issues w/ my babes nursing and when my period came back. I have 4 kids (due w/ 5th in December).

I nursed on demand all the time , day and night and my periods come back around 8 weeks PP. I had my 2nd and 3rd sons a year apart so I'm pretty fertile right away Bf'ing is not a birth control for me and no matter what each time I get my period back that early. Sure it will be back by then in full swing by mid Feb. for me! When my dd was born I was tandem nursing (3rd son and newborn dd) and that still didn't matter...it was back at 8 weeks!

I think those of you who go so long w/out one are so lucky!
#6 of 6 Old 12-06-2008, 10:44 PM

I don't breastfeed and got mine back today, Sam is exactly 3 months.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page