Showing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-02-2008, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ok, so I was taking a gander at the July DDC belly thread and I noticed that many of the ladies have big beautiful bellies at 10-12 weeks!!!

When I was pg with ds, I didn't really "show" until 15 weeks. By 7 months, I was gargantuan, though.

I have heard that with subsequent babies your tummy pops sooner. Anyone have any experience? I'll be 4 weeks tomorrow. I have no real symptoms (tiredness, lack of appetite but nothing substantial) and am most certainly not showing.

I was hoping to be able to go until 12 weeks before we tell anyone. Am I being foolish?

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2008, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Oops - meant to post this elsewhere

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

Old 01-02-2008, 11:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree that you tend to show quicker with subsequent pregnancies. I'm 6-7 weeks (pg #4) and I've got the pooch going on already That was our plan, too, but seeing how it looks like everything's okay, we'll tell people as we see them. So I may be 5 months before some people know I've heard of Brewer's Diet, but not familiar with it. I'm going to stick by a GD diet as I seem to have trouble with my blood sugars, but it gives me good discipline practice

Meredyth partners.gif Travis, Mama to my boys J, L, E & my girl B
Bella Rose is here 07/29/10!
Always missing my angel1.gif
Old 01-03-2008, 12:08 AM

I've already got a good bit of belly going, and I'm 5 weeks!

I showed early (8 weeks) with my first, though. I'm short and thin and my belly has nowhere to go but OUT!

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
Old 01-03-2008, 02:38 AM

I am probably about 7-8 weeks, but my belly just looks like a beer gut. I can still suck it in if I want to.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:20 AM

I'm at about six weeks and I look like I did at 5 months with my dd1! Having a hard time hiding it and I really want to keep it from my family for awhile (we have two brand new babies in the family). Been keeping my coat on a lot....

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
Old 01-04-2008, 02:09 AM

I can't decide if I have just gotten fat or what. I have actually lost a couple of pounds but I could not button my jeans even last week. We are trying to hide #4 for a while. I already look pg though so I think our secret will be out as soon as my family sees me.

Wife of 20 years to my superhero firefighting DH. SAHM to 2 boys and 2 girls (3 babies in Heaven- Baby # 5 5/2010 & Baby #6 8/2011 & Baby # 7 2/1013). Cancer Survivor 2011 ( Persistent Malignant Gestational Trophoblastic Disease)

Old 01-04-2008, 10:12 AM

My jeans are tight already but my weight goes to the front anyway, so I don't think I look more pregnant than usual. It could just be Christmas bloat, anyway… *cough*
Old 01-04-2008, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

I can feel the muscles in my stomach stretching and my skirt was a little tighter than normal yesterday. I got on the scale and it says the same thing it did a week ago. Of course, I have quite a bit of padding around the middle anyway, so I guess for a while I'll just look like I had a big lunch.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:05 AM

I recently lost a lot of weight with weight watchers so I've been pretty attentive to how my tummy area looks and I feel like I"m pooching out already! This is #3 for me so that may be the case. With the other two and with this one also, I feel like I pooch out higher than I woudl expect. Before I thought it was becasue I was so overweight (65lbs heavier than now) but now I wonder if that's not just the way I start to carry- like my body is making room for my uterus to grow! I got rid of a lot of my bigger clothes and all of my maternity clothes are probably goign to be huge too... so that should be interesting....

Or it could just be my overactive imagination wanting to see a lovely pregnancy belly!
Old 01-06-2008, 08:27 PM

Well, this is my second, but with my first I didn't really show until after 20 weeks, so I am not expecting much this time. I am really thin too, she was just a small baby, still is! I do look forward to having a belly to rub again though!

Sarah
Mommy to three girls DD 6, DD 3.5,DD 8/2011 & new babe 3/2013, 2 angel.gif's 1/2008 and 8/2010

Old 01-06-2008, 08:32 PM

I already am quite bloated looking. I wonder when I'll start showing since its my 4th, if it will be about the same as with my 3rd which I think was somewhere around 12-14 weeks, or if it will be even sooner this time. If its any earlier we'll have to think about telling the family a bit sooner.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:49 PM

Just wanted to add, I guess I might look a little PG already, but no more then I did two weeks ago before the BFP. I just don't care to suck it in anymore! Too much work, I am tired!

Sarah
Mommy to three girls DD 6, DD 3.5,DD 8/2011 & new babe 3/2013, 2 angel.gif's 1/2008 and 8/2010

Old 01-06-2008, 09:19 PM

Well as you should gain 2lbs the whole first trimester we should NOT be showing you know

But if this is like last time that I looked 4-5 months 3 months in I'll be annoyed LOL
Old 01-06-2008, 10:19 PM

We better start taking some pictures so we can track the bellies!!

I'm not showing at all, which is strange. With #2 I popped out a little almost right away, but then didn't show tons till around month 4 or 5. I def feel "fuller" around my pelvis and my boobs are starting to overfloweth, but that's it. My DD is around the 5th, so I think I'm 5 weeks?
Old 01-07-2008, 03:20 AM

Same here, Sarah! I just stopped sucking it in!
Old 01-07-2008, 09:00 AM

I guess I'm considered thin, I'm 5' and I wear a size 6, but I'm 130lbs. I really don't care about such nonsense. I'm more concerned about being healthy. I have a birth defect in my low spine that prevents me from doing anything that could make my tummy flatter, so I'll always have a little pooch.
But lately my little pooch seems a bit more poochier. My pants seems a little tighter but I keep saying it can't be. I'm only 4 weeks. I can't be showing already. It must be me just sticking my stomach out without realizing...
Old 01-07-2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoshMama View Post
Well as you should gain 2lbs the whole first trimester we should NOT be showing you know

But if this is like last time that I looked 4-5 months 3 months in I'll be annoyed LOL
WOW! I've never heard this before! I heard 2/3of a pound per week for the first 20 weeks and then 1 lb a week for the second 20 weeks.

The thing with me is, I really think stuff starts to get shifty down there and that's where some of my pooch comes from. I also agree with the pp that I just don't care to suck it in as much
Old 01-07-2008, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I don't know how much of "showing" actually has to do with weight gain. I weighed the same for most of the 2nd trimester, but my tummy kept a-growin'!

Old 01-07-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet729 View Post
WOW! I've never heard this before! I heard 2/3of a pound per week for the first 20 weeks and then 1 lb a week for the second 20 weeks.

The thing with me is, I really think stuff starts to get shifty down there and that's where some of my pooch comes from. I also agree with the pp that I just don't care to suck it in as much

I have been doing research on this since last time I gained WAYYY to much (thyroid prob didn't help)

In the UK they don't even say you need extra calories the first trimester as the baby is so small. Mama will gain about 2 lbs from increased breast size and such
Old 01-07-2008, 02:48 PM

I definitely think you DO neeed more calories the first trimester, especially if you tend to be a light eater normally. The metabolism gets higher and everything kicks into high gear, so I think that when we're ravenous the first trimester, it's because we NEED the nourishment. :::

But that being said, this time, I will be much more careful. I'm exercising five mornings a week instead of three (well, at least now....ask me again in 2-3 months!), and I'm not going to pig out as much. Damn, I HATE having 30 lbs to lose after the baby is born, and I'm not crazy about having 9-10 lb babies either. (I do not have gestational diabetes during pregnancy.) I may not be able to do much about the baby's weight, but I can at least be more careful about my own this time! I won't obsess, but I WILL be sure I'm doing my spinning (stationery biking) and swimming every day. I HATE being overweight. I am currently 145 starting this pregnancy, and I should be 130. I had been working on losing the weight and had lost 10 lbs already!

As far as showing, well, I'm a bit bloated and my skirts are snug. Not too snug, but I can tell that they are more snug than normal. I have not told anyone yet, not even DH because I'm waiting until this weekend to surprise him, and no one would guess by looking at me, that's for sure! Oh, this is number five for us.....and our last baby, I think.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:48 PM

Quote:
In the UK they don't even say you need extra calories the first trimester as the baby is so small. Mama will gain about 2 lbs from increased breast size and such
I'm not sure if it's amusing or scary that different countries can't agree on simple aspects of pregnancy. It's not like pregnancy is new. I just read that in France, the gestation period is 42 weeks. I highly doubt that entering the borders of France makes your fetus decide to stick around longer. Why would this be different?

My breasts haven't increased size HALLELUJAH. They are bloody big enough already. 2 more lbs of breast?! YIKES!
Old 01-07-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Mama will gain about 2 lbs from increased breast size and such
OH NO! : my boobs are gonna get bigger! : : I'm still nursing #2 and they're plenty big, thank you very much
Old 01-07-2008, 06:59 PM

Well it is odd that in the US and UK have different guidelines for weight gain and calories , I wish I had looked more into the first time cause I thought I was SUPPOSE to eat loads and now know I didn't have to eat really anything more.

The first trimester baby is so tiny still, after that the baby does gain weight quickly and mama does need an extra 200-300 calories a day.

And I don't need bigger boobs either, they are already too big
Old 01-07-2008, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcyone View Post
I'm not sure if it's amusing or scary that different countries can't agree on simple aspects of pregnancy. It's not like pregnancy is new. I just read that in France, the gestation period is 42 weeks. I highly doubt that entering the borders of France makes your fetus decide to stick around longer. Why would this be different?
All I can think of is that if labor begins spontaneously, the average length of gestation for first babies is something like 41.5 weeks. : I think having the 42 week mindset might make one a bit less antsy at 40 weeks. But I could be wrong . . . .

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

Old 01-07-2008, 11:37 PM

I don't pay too much attention to "guidelines" when it comes to weight gain. I gained 35 lbs with DD (she was 10 lbs) and it was gone within a week! (and yes, that's without nursing) Then I actually started losing too much weight and had to try to gain some, lol! I'm starting this pregnancy off about 25 lbs lighter than I did that time. I feel I'll just gain what I'm going to gain, eat healthy and eat enough, and try to keep this baby around.

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
Old 01-08-2008, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganCupcake View Post
All I can think of is that if labor begins spontaneously, the average length of gestation for first babies is something like 41.5 weeks. : I think having the 42 week mindset might make one a bit less antsy at 40 weeks. But I could be wrong . . . .

I gather this is the reason, they like things natural in France
Old 01-08-2008, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah2881 View Post
I just don't care to suck it in anymore! Too much work, I am tired!
YEAH THAT! And it feels so good to eat!

Quote:
HA!!!!That's just funny.
I don't and didn't really pay attention to what I gain. I eat what I want - but also high protein, and lots of whole foods and let my body do it's thing. I think I gained about 35 lbs with ds and it was all gone and then some within 6weeks. I think healthy eating is a MUCH more important thing to monitor that pounds gained. Someone could not be gaining much but eating total crap.

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
Old 01-08-2008, 03:18 AM

With my 1st I didn't start to "show" until about 5 months. All my clothes fit fine till then and such. Total I gained about 18pounds with him (lots of morning sickness). My 2nd I started showing about 12-16 weeks and gained about 30 pounds. My 3rd pregnancy I mc at 8 1/2 weeks and I had just started wearing maternity clothes a few days earlier. This is my 4th pregnancy and I am just about 5 weeks. I pulled out the maternity clothes this weekend. I still fit in my pants but they feel yucky and uncomfortable and the truth is I would rather be comfortable than stylish. I haven't gained any weight (according to my scale I am down a pound) i just feel (and look) really bloated.
Alyssa

AP crunchy homeschooling mama to Henning (1/4/03), Connor (7/1/05) and Elijah (9/21/08) Forever holding my 3 lost little ones in my heart.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:07 AM

Not sure how early I'll show (this is #3) but I've had some days where I thought I was showing a little but it was just bloat and it went away so maybe avoid things that make my more likely to bloat. I'm hoping my boobs will get bigger this time...they never seem to. I can't find any nursing bras small enough and it is really hard to nurse without them (for me).

User Tag List