Horseback Riding and Pregnant??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-03-2008, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, aside from the obvious falling risk, what is so bad about slow trail riding. My husband says go for it, im not dead, only pregnant. I also would love to go for a few rides. I just spent load of money getting my horse trained and ready for this huge parade for Mardi Gras, and I really want to participate. I even thought of riding my old horse that I have ridden every year in this parade. (riding him is no different than riding in a car)
My friends and some realatives say no don't do it. I've always wanted a baby, and this is my first pregnancy and im 28yrs old. If there is some other risk like the baby detatching or something like that please let me know.
Please don't be judgmental. I haven't made any definate decisions yet.... Just would like some view point. And is there anyone out there that still goes on slow calm rides while pregnant. I would love to hear from you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 01-04-2008, 12:24 AM

Saw this on new posts, not in your DDC.

From what I've read, if you miscarry from a fall off a horse, you would have miscarried anyway. Not that that would make you feel any differently about the loss. The only danger that I am aware of would be the fall or the off chance that you would get kicked. And in early pregnancy, the baby is very well protected by fluids and your pelvis structure before the uterus rises.

I fell off a horse when I was 5 weeks pregnant, he pretty much spun at a full sprint and I wasn't able to hold on. Knocked myself out and everything and never even spotted. My horse trainer has known more than one woman who rode throughout their pregnancies. It all depends on the skill of the rider and the training/temperament of the horse. I also wouldn't be doing major competitions, nor would I be comfortable riding in a parade, but a trail ride or a slow gallop around the pasture wouldn't phase me.

Mom to K (06.23.06) & A (09.13.09)
#3 of 8 Old 01-04-2008, 12:55 AM
Banned

I rode when I was pregnant with my first dd. I rode a green little belgian/warmblood mix who liked to spook and a gorgeous Clydesdale who was like riding on top of a VW minbus. My dd and I both lived to tell the tale.

I might not ride the green horse in the parade, but your old trooper should be fine. I think your partner is right - you're not dead, only pregnant. Your body will tell you what your physical limitations are when they arise. And, as this is the September DDC, that probably won't be until March or April.
#4 of 8 Old 01-04-2008, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

thanks guys. I appreciate the love. I belong in either the end of august or early sept ddc. I'm not quite sure which yet. My first appointment is Monday so i will know for sure then. I think im six weeks, but have no symptoms so might be earlier than that. I really want to ride my green horse, cause i raised her and have riddin her many times since she has been broke and has shown to be one of my best horses. Now in the big parade of horses at the end of this month, yes i think i will ride my older horse. He is use to the noise and all the commotion so he wouldnt spooke and run the risk of running off with me. I really feel better about all this. I have made up my mind and am going to ride in the mardi gras parade. unless my mother or mother in law tries to stop me...lol
#5 of 8 Old 01-04-2008, 06:04 AM

What I've been told is, "If you did it before you got pregnant, you can do it after you get pregnant too." Within reason, of course. Since you are an experienced rider, I see no reason to stop just because two will be riding instead of one!
#6 of 8 Old 01-04-2008, 06:30 AM

I intended to keep riding, at least for the first few months, but unfortunately I was so sick that all I wanted to do was throw up the moment I got on my horse.

You might find that when you do ride, you feel uneasy about it, but you might feel fine. I would have ridden my horse, because I know him so well and can predict his behaviour very well. I wouldnt have ridden an unfamiliar horse. I did get a surprise though that once I was pregnant, and even more so once I had my first child, my desire to do dangerous sports diminished. I can't even look at photos of the stuff I used to do (eventing) and you couldn't pay me enough to get me jumping solid fences now.

Maybe when the kids are older, but right now, whenever I ride, visions of past accidents and motherless children haunt me. It doesn't give me much pleasure right now. I"m not interested in plodding out on the trails, only in serious training, so right now I"m just not riding. For a while, I felt mildly - no, majorly - embarrassed, to be one of those wimps who gave up riding when they had kids. But now I'm honest with myself and recognise that you need to listen to your instincts, no matter what your views were prior to having kids.

You might feel fine riding, in which case I'd say to find compromises with your dp, so that he feels validated. But if you don't, listen to yourself. Only you know your comfort levels.
#7 of 8 Old 01-04-2008, 11:09 AM

Well, I don't know about horses, but I'm going to keep playing indoor soccer for a little while, anyways. Soccer is a contact sport. I could take a ball in the stomach (although not really the likeliest spot to get hit), or take a bad tumble. But, the baby is very well protected, so I think the real danger is slight even if that happens. It's much more dangerous to get in the car and drive each day, and nobody thinks twice about that.

I won't be playing soccer long because this session is almost over, and I'm not going to pay for another when I know I won't play the whole time (I'll get too uncomfortable to run before the session is over). But, I'd play for another month or so if I could.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#8 of 8 Old 01-05-2008, 01:10 AM

I say go for it. When I was in high school, one of the women I babysat for was working cattle when her horse stumbled and landed on her. She was four months pregnant at the time, and I babysat that totally normal baby until I graduated from high school

Tessa, mama to M (93) B(94) T (05) G (08) and waiting for the arrival of ? on 10/23

User Tag List