Epidural Pros and Cons - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 56 Old 01-15-2008, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's a choice, and at the end of the day, healthy and happy mama and healthy and happy baby are all that matter.

Unfortunately, this is the same kind of logic that lots of docs use to justify myriad interventions. Every woman needs to be able to define "healthy" and "happy" for herself.

To the OP, one thing that helped me so much was to actually *see* natural childbirth through video. Reading books is great too, but I'm a very visual person. I encourage you to go to youtube and watch both homebirth (with no medical pain relief) and the *normal* hospital births that are posted there and use that info to help you make your decision too. Also, I think doing some research and looking at the science of it all might be helpful. Unfortunately, the long term effects of lots of interventions like epi and u/s, for example, have not been studied.

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 56 Old 01-15-2008, 05:40 PM

Thats what all the OB's I've had have told me. Including the one that tried to scare me into having a scheduled c-section. He said that what is important at the end of the day is a healthy mom and baby. So why go through a VBAC that could possibly kill my baby just because I want birth to go my way?
#33 of 56 Old 01-15-2008, 06:09 PM

There is a great button you can get to wear while pregnant which says "positive birth stories only, My baby is listening". can't seem to be able to find a link right now...
#34 of 56 Old 01-15-2008, 06:28 PM

I'll give you a good epidural story too:

When I was pregnant and before the discovery of MDC, I said "I will try it without the epidural, and if I "need" one, I will get it."
I had no birth classes, no doula...nothing
My water broke at 35.5 weeks and from 4pm until 11:00pm that day, I wasn't really having contractions. They gave me pitocin at 12:00am, and I started having some real painful contractions. I labored for 5 hours and was able to take a shower, walk, squat, etc. I made it to 6 cm, and something just made me panic about the pain. I don't know why.... DH was in the room, my mom, MIL and 2 SILs. I think I was too distracted by not wanting to moan, or cry or scream because I had an audience. (Next time it will be just DH and me).
I ended up getting an epidural and it really just gave me the ability to focus again on the task at hand, as I was no longer having this horrible panic attack. I made everyone leave the room except DH and the nurse. I rested but did not sleep. 2 hours later I was fully dialated and ready to push. I was able to feel pressure and some pain and know when to push- even when the monitor didn't "indicate" that I needed to push. An hour later, I gave birth to Kylie and 5 minutes later she successfully latched on to BF for 30 minutes.

I feel blessed that I was able to experience contractions and the pain associated with preparing to deliver a baby. I feel sad that I became so scared of the pain at a certain point, but am thankful that I was able to have an epidural. Next time may be different, but I LOVED my birth experience, as I would re-live that day, everyday of my life...that is how amazing it was. For me- it worked out perfectly.

Blessed with two BEAUTIFUL little girls: Kylie (09/06) and Maggie (4/09) :
#35 of 56 Old 01-15-2008, 08:44 PM

You CAN do it, but it helps to be very informed. There is a lot in common OB care that can stack the deck against going natural, so it really helps to be prepared. I recommend Henci Goer's book The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth. It really helped me have an unmedicated hospital birth with my first. She helped me avoid the induction trap when my baby was overdue. I've since met her and she's a very cool lady! I would also recommend hiring a doula. Indispensible in a hospital birthing situation!

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#36 of 56 Old 01-16-2008, 04:54 PM

I think part of the awful pain that encourages people to get an epidural is the "strapped down on their back" part. When I was in labor, I moved around A LOT and the one or two times I tried to lay down on my back for a rest, the pain instantly became so much more intense. As long as you are in the position to move around freely, your body is made to deal with this kind of pain. Giving birth naturally was an absolutely amazing experience for me. I felt every inch of pushing, I felt her head crowning (which to me was like "omg I'm almost done! I don't care if it hurts for another few minutes, she's right there!"), there was nothing to hold me back from doing what I needed to do. It was not as bad as I had prepared myself for and it turned out to be a lovely birth.

Divorced mama to baby girl (7/5/06) and baby boy (8/5/08) Into anything fun and creative!
#37 of 56 Old 01-16-2008, 05:38 PM

I have noticed that a lot of people I've talked to who have had epidurals, were also induced. That's what happened to me with dd1- pitocin does not like my body...

I always told people that I really wanted to go natural and that I would be open to whatever I felt was best in teh circumstances. I still got hassled with the second when I said I wanted to go natural and I had had all the problems with the "wonderful" drugs! Now at least I can say that I've done both and people pretty much shut up about it.
#38 of 56 Old 01-16-2008, 05:43 PM

I Loved the epidural. I wanted to take it home in a backpack! I just wanted a pain-free birth and I got it with no side-effects and I was happy camper!
#39 of 56 Old 01-16-2008, 05:49 PM

Sometime I wish people would leave us pregnant people alone! Honestly I don't think it matters. When I went in to my labor I had patosin (SP?) which induced my labor because I went past my due date. I was very determined not to get an epidural but when it came down to it the patosin kept me from being able to relax and I was not progressing. I guess the bottom line is every one is different and all women are strong no matter how they decide to give birth. You will know what is best for you when the time comes.

saynovax.giffamilybed1.gifintactlact.gifwaterbirth.jpgcd.gif

#40 of 56 Old 01-16-2008, 10:35 PM

I had an epidural and I think it caused me to have migraines. I never had them before and now I get them all the time. They are really bad ones too... like I have to take excedrine and tylenol and go to bed. I plan on having a home/water birth this time... if I can get dh to go along with it. Hope this helps you, but don't feel like you're a wuss if you end up feeling you need one. Everyone is different, you do what you feel is the right thing to do.
Elizabeth

Elizabeth wife to Matt , mom to Logan (2/21/01) , and little man Desmond (9/23/08)

Mourning the loss of her father: Robert Edward Dillon 5/31/52 - 01/03/2011

#41 of 56 Old 01-16-2008, 10:37 PM

My epidural was totally worth it. I don't have anything negative at all to say about it.
#42 of 56 Old 01-16-2008, 11:57 PM

I resolved to not get an epidural and ended up with pitocin....and I had the epidural. That pitocin is the nector of the devil and I was willing to do almost anything to get away from the pain. For some it works wonderful, for a lucky few like me, it doesn't. After agreeing to one thing then they start bombarding you with more and more things. Before long I was hooked up like a science experiment. The epi only worked for about an hour and the only thing I got out of it was confinement. I had a bladder catheter, internal preasure catheter, and scalpel electrode on the baby's head. That's a hospital vbac for ya I'll go ahead and add the constant blood pressure monitor on one arm and I.V. in the other for good measure.

I guess I'm of on a tangent but remember that with an epidural your confined to your bed. So when they bombard you with interventions it's impossible to run in the bathroom and hide (make sure to take someone in the bathroom with you to help catch the baby before it drops in the toilet)

But, it's your own choice. Just do your research and don't jump into anything your not sure about. You'll make the best decision for you

In love with the Hubs (6-03) & : Kookie Pookie Girl (c/s 5-05) & Bouncy Big Boy (vbac 2-07) & : Miss Cheeky Cheeks (hbac 11-08) 100*90* 100lbs = Las Vegas : Almost there!
#43 of 56 Old 01-17-2008, 12:12 AM

Some research shows epidurals can cause a dysfunctional suck (and hence difficulty breastfeeding)for a baby for up to a month.....a baby with a dysfunctional suck or low weight gain gets lots of interventions too...
#44 of 56 Old 01-17-2008, 01:48 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I say go with how you are feeling at the time. Be informed before hand.

I had an epidural and it went wonderfully. I had a vaginal birth with no further interventions. It had no effect on me or my son.

I don't like when people use scare tactics for either side of the "argument" it's really your choice.

Don't let any rude comments get to you. Just make sure those around you at the birth are positive & encouraging. If you want to try to do it drug free make sure that nobody offers you any meds because it can be harder to refuse at that point.

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#45 of 56 Old 01-17-2008, 01:55 AM

I'm scared of them and have never had one. Both my cousin's have had those spinal headaches after their epidural's and my friend's was so bad she had to go back and be admitted for them to fix her headaches. The only thing I can say is don't get demoral. I was pretty uninformed with my oldest and got that it was a nightmare. The last two were drug free because of it.
#46 of 56 Old 01-17-2008, 10:55 PM

I think one of the reasons women rave about their epidurals is because of all the hospital rules and routines. If you are forced to have continual monitoring and an IV, and yelled at not to get up because it disrupts the strip, you are not allowed to eat or drink, and you have no real hands-on, continuous labor support... then yes, labor is hell and an epi can be seen as a lifesaver. Add pitocin onto that... and the majority of women get pitocin at some point... and it is no wonder the epi rate is 80-90% in most hospitals.

Really, I think it would take superhuman powers to resist an epi without first resisting all the "routine" interventions. If you are strapped to a bed on your back with an IV in one arm, a blood pressure cuff on the other, a pulse monitor on your finger, an EFM strapped to your belly, and now even a probe in your cervix monitoring dilation... most likely you will want and need that epi. Who wouldn't?

So, the best way to avoid an epi is to:
A) REFUSE ALL INDUCTIONS. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO SHOW UP IF THEY SCHEDULE YOU AN APPOINTMENT. BEING "OVERDUE" IS NOT A GOOD REASON FOR AN INDUCTION. HAVING A "BIG BABY" IS NOT A GOOD REASON FOR AN INDUCTION.
B) Don't show up until you are WELL into labor. Hire a doula who will come to your house and labor with you, and can help read emotional signposts to give you a good idea about when to go to the hospital.
C). Do not let them tie you down. Make sure your doc is on board, and have him/her write prescriptions for no IV, intermittent monitoring rather than continuous. Make sure this is spelled out ahead of time. Don't assume that the hospital will let you make those choices once you get there.

I think the epidural can also give women a false sense of security. Many women seem to have the idea that they can go in and get the epi as soon as they set foot in the hospital, and they will have a painless birth. Well, that's often not true. They like you to be progressed a bit (with good reason) before you get the epi. Even if you have Pitocin. So, many women undergo hours of agonizing hyperstimulated contractions on Pitocin before they are allowed to get an epi. And, it is a drug. There may be side effects. It may not work. They may need to turn it way down in order for you to push. Preparing for a natural birth can do you no harm whatsoever... chances are you'll need some relaxation techniques at some point whether you ultimately choose an epi or not.

The problem is not really with an epi... the problem is with the whole way birth is "managed" by the medical system.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#47 of 56 Old 01-18-2008, 03:37 AM

I had an induction with gel, followed by a long, back labour. I had planned to try to avoid an epidural, but was open to it. I remember consciously thinking at the time that the contractions were not that bad, but when it went on and on and on, I couldn't handle it at the time and had the epidural. I felt no pain getting it, but it only half worked and I had the shakes and vomited a bit too.

Having said that, I was very happy at the time to have significant pain relief. I ended up with a C-section and breastfeeding problems though. But I know many women who also had epidurals, C-sections and still breastfed with not one single problem, so I couldn't say if my problems were from the interventions or not

This time around, I will also plan for no epidural, but will be planning far more pain management (first time, no one helped me with any active labour, etc, and I was ignorant) like hypnosis, doula support, water, hopefully no induction. But when the time comes, if labour is again long and I don't feel I am coping, I am open-minded to the epidural (but as a last resort).
#48 of 56 Old 01-18-2008, 11:26 AM

I've been reading a great book about maternity care in America, and came across this section about pain in childbirth and epidurals which made me think about this thread. So as not to get this thread off track, I posted it for general consumption on the Birth and Beyond board.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...0#post10319080

#49 of 56 Old 01-18-2008, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
From the start of my pg w/ dd I knew I wanted an epidural. I was induced at 39 weeks (not sure why... but I was afraid of her getting too big so I was fine with it... I wa afraid of everything about childbirth) and had the epidural. I have to admit, I had a very easy, painless labor and delivery. It wasn't until after dd came out that there were problems. My recovery was long and painful, though I am not sure if that had anything to do with the epidural.

This time around I am considering going natural b/c I think it's best for the baby. I just have to get past my fears.... We'll see.

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mom to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), two angel babies. 
#50 of 56 Old 01-18-2008, 04:13 PM

I haven't read all the posts, but I would recommend for the OP and anyone else who is interested in becoming educated about their choices and the potential affects of interventions such as epidural to take a Bradley class:
http://www.bradleybirth.com/
Dh and I took the classes while pg w/ds, and I found them to be informative and empowering.

sarah, mama to e & j 8/08, and big brother 8/06
#51 of 56 Old 01-18-2008, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarbear View Post
I would recommend for the OP and anyone else who is interested in becoming educated about their choices and the potential affects of interventions such as epidural to take a Bradley class:
http://www.bradleybirth.com/

Bradley classes, although biased towards "natural childbirth", will give you a very thorough education in all the choices and how to ask for the experience that YOU want.

Also, I haven't read the whole thread, but it's not an either/or choice. Like either you get an epi OR you go completely natural, no intervention. There ARE other pain management options in between, just FYI.

I wanted to go completely natural with my first, but I didn't have the right support system and i had a looooong transition. I ended up with a half-dose of a narcotic to get me through. I have no regrets—we made the best decision we could, given the circumstances. This time around, my mw will be there (she left town 5 days before dd1's birth!) and I think I can do it, so we're planning a homebirth.
#52 of 56 Old 01-18-2008, 09:05 PM

Like Karina, my epidural had no negative effects (except having the hep lock in my hand; that was annoying) and I'm very glad I had it. I was in severe pain before getting it, and the relief really allowed me to relax and focus on my birth. My labor progressed beautifully (I was pretty dilated before the anesthesia) and the baby was born alert and latched on like a very small piranha -- there was never anything lazy about her suck!

I would never tell someone ahead of time "Oh, you need the epidural" because obviously, a lot of women don't! But for me, having the option of the receive it was wonderful.
#53 of 56 Old 01-18-2008, 11:46 PM

This is why we are here on this crunchy site, because many of the moms we hear from in our walking lives had and loved the epidural, which is great for them, but I want to birth without it and I want to surround myself with voices of women who went without it to assure myself that THAT is what is normal and natural and I CAN do it. I wanted to go w/o the 1st time, made it to 8cm and got the epidural, it took, I felt better but everything slowed to a snails pace and my temp rose, yadda yadda yadda - dd ends up getting her first round of antibiotics on her 1st day of life outside me. I want to avoid it this time because my personal experience was that it was not best for me or babe. I know that my body will be experiencing the same impact whether I feel it or not and I want to feel it so I can do my best to work with it. I plan to coach my husband better this time so he can coach me when I can't think for myself - I know now that I want to be told what to do by the one who knows what I really want and is also as protective of the babe as I am. I had a doula before that was new and sweet - I want a loving bossy micromanager this time. Get up, try this, try this, try this, try this...!!! I should add though that she latched on like a pro - no neg there.
#54 of 56 Old 01-19-2008, 11:32 AM

If you really want to get a feeling for where the moms are coming from who think ncb is crazy, I would just ask them to tell them about their births. Maybe subtly find out some of the following points.

A) Did you have IV fluids?
B) Did you have continuous EFM?
C) Did you have unlimited movement or were you attached to cords?
D) Did you have continous trained labor support (doula or mw who stayed by you)?
E) Were you able to labor in water?
F) Did you have any Pitocin augmentation?
G) Did you have AROM? (they broke your water)
H) How many vaginal exams did you have?
I) Were you allowed to eat and drink to thirst/hunger?
J) Did you stay out of the bed?
K) Was the lighting/atmosphere to your preference? (dim lights, dark, candles, or whatever is best for you)

I think there is definitely a place for an epidural. I know my best friend labored for hours and hours without it, and then it finally gave her a rest and probably prevented a c-section, for instance. And most hb transfers are due to ftp, where an epi can help them have a successful vaginal birth.

But I think when you hear a lot of women say "labor was hell until I got my epi," etc. I don't think you're getting the whole story. Yes, I'm sure their labor was hell... but maybe it wouldn't have been if hospitals were more mother-friendly. Epis would be needed a lot less if women were "allowed" to have normal, physiological births rather than all the unnecessary routine interventions most women in a hospital are "required" to have. Pain that may have been unbearable while tied to a bed may have been manageable in a hot tub of water, for instance.

#55 of 56 Old 01-19-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11yrsNoKid View Post

No right now in my mind, body, and soul, do not want one, but is for some unknown reason I change my mind, I want that to be okay too.

I do have one friend that has 5 kids, and she had everyone of them natrual. She calmed me somewhat when I talked to her. She told me that I can do it, just stick to my guns and don't ask for it.
Not in your DDC, but just wanted to offer some support- I went through the same thing with my first. I hate, hate, HATED people being condescending to me and acting like there was NO WAY I could go natural. That's one reason I decided on a homebirth- there's no option for pain drugs unless you want to transfer to the hospital. That's a big deterent. In the course of my 20 hour labor if I had been in the hospital and people were asking me "do you want the epidural now?" I would have said "yes! please!" when I was about an hour away from the birth, but when you're at that point you're almost done and its better to just push through it and have your baby!

To me the biggest downside to an epidural is not feeling what's going on down there or not feeling the full sensation while pushing. I'm not afraid of pain, but I am afraid of hurting myself because I can't feel if I'm stretching or need to slow down or need to change positions, etc. With ds if I had been numb I think I would have ripped in half, the pain had a purpose, it made me push REALLY slowly during crowning and right before and I had not one single tear- even my midwife was a bit surprised because I am a very petite person.

Epidurals have their place and no one should feel guilty or like less of a woman for having one, but they definately shouldn't be the default option it seems like they are today.

If you want to avoid the epidural, stay out of bed, use a birth ball (that helped me so much), use warm water in a labor tub to relieve pain, have a GOOD support person their with you who will make you remember what you want when you can't, may sure you go into it thinking "there may be pain, but I can do this even when I think I can't"

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

#56 of 56 Old 01-19-2008, 03:15 PM

I don't know if I could have had a vaginal birth had I gotten an epidural with my last baby. He had a large head/was on the big side and he wasn't descending at all after I had been pushing for a while. The problem with the epidural is that it is a lot harder to get into different positions when you don't have full feeling in your legs. Even squatting wasn't getting it done. When I let my body go into the position it was most comfortable in, it made all the difference in the world. I got on my knees with a really wide spread and leaned over some pillows and boom, finally the pushing was effective. With an epidural, worse case would have been c-section and best case scenario would have probably been vacuum or foceps with an episiotomy. Instead I didn't tear at all!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page