PAL Thread-Pregnant After a Loss - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 148 Old 02-05-2008, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Baby looked good, measured only 2 days different than my EDD (bought me two days ) and HB was 136-142. My experience with the NP and her nurse, while not BAD, was interesting, though. They have no concept of natural childbirth. When I said that I had Atley w/o anesthetic, the nurse was like "oh, you had a section?" If I'd had a section, wouldn't I have had anesthetic?!

SIGH. I have so many questions for my doctor. SO MANY, but he had the flu today, poor guy.

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#92 of 148 Old 02-05-2008, 12:39 AM

spotting

Chelsey Married to my Wonderful Husband Devin: Mama to James 9.7.08wild.gif , Joy 5.19.10 energy.gifTitus 3.37.12 biggrinbounce.gif10/07angel.gif  Macy dog2.gif : Expecting #4 belly.gif in August
#93 of 148 Old 02-05-2008, 12:55 AM

oh chelsea - i'm hoping and praying this is absolutely nothing

kati , wife to josh , mama to j&d (7.31.07) marion (9.18.08), feeder of nanuq and gracie lou
#94 of 148 Old 02-05-2008, 08:57 AM

i started spotting red this morning - it was only for a bit and has stopped now. i feel like i'm cramping up - but it's impossible to tell since i'm so freaked out and stressed now that everything feels tense. combine that with my m/s getting rapidly better over the weekend and i'm pretty sure this is over.

as soon as it gets to be a more respectable hour, i'm calling my doctor on the emergency line and seeing if i can't get in for an u/s today.

i'll keep you girls posted.

kati , wife to josh , mama to j&d (7.31.07) marion (9.18.08), feeder of nanuq and gracie lou
#95 of 148 Old 02-05-2008, 12:36 PM

Oh prayers for you both....remember - until its "flow" you could still be okay....thinking positive for you....

Wish I could type more....too much retching and vomiting right now....I will be sending lots of sticky thoughts your way....

Christine, wife to my dh since 10/03, mama to my three monkeys ~:-) ds1/6/05, dd9/9/08 and ds 8/3/10

#96 of 148 Old 02-05-2008, 02:03 PM

Oh ladies you will both be in my thoughts today. I hope that everything is fine. Kathi- if it makes you feel any better my morning sickness has been up and down like crazy the last week. One day I feel fine the next I am puking my guts out all day. I was getting really worried Sat because I had felt pretty good for 2 days then I spent all of Sun and Mon puking. You will be in my heart all day.:

AP crunchy homeschooling mama to Henning (1/4/03), Connor (7/1/05) and Elijah (9/21/08) Forever holding my 3 lost little ones in my heart.
#97 of 148 Old 02-05-2008, 03:00 PM

sending love to all the mamas in here
im still spotting but im not worried. im thinking positive positive positive!!
i should be somewhere around 9-10 weeks but still havent gone for any tests whatsoever. this week in chilly calgary, alberta temp is at 0 so im making an appt right now to get blood work
thinking sticky thinking sticky:
#98 of 148 Old 02-05-2008, 05:13 PM

we still have a heartbeat and baby has doubled in size - i'm so so relieved and excited and in love!!

u/s picture is in the u/s thread!

#99 of 148 Old 02-05-2008, 05:20 PM

Kati- so glad to hear things are ok!

AP crunchy homeschooling mama to Henning (1/4/03), Connor (7/1/05) and Elijah (9/21/08) Forever holding my 3 lost little ones in my heart.
#100 of 148 Old 02-05-2008, 05:47 PM

Katherine - I am so glad you and baby are ok! Phew!!

Chelsey - I hope that you are doing ok. You're certainly on my mind today.

Kimberly

Kimberly, mom & wife - blogging.jpg about pregnancy and birth
DD 2004; 3 angel1.gif babies 2007-08; rainbow1284.gif twin DDs 2009; DD 7/12/11 hospital uhoh3.gif VBAC bouncy.gifafter 2 cesareans!

#101 of 148 Old 02-06-2008, 01:50 PM

I am doing ok. I have an u/s today. I will let you guys know.

Chelsey Married to my Wonderful Husband Devin: Mama to James 9.7.08wild.gif , Joy 5.19.10 energy.gifTitus 3.37.12 biggrinbounce.gif10/07angel.gif  Macy dog2.gif : Expecting #4 belly.gif in August
#102 of 148 Old 02-06-2008, 02:32 PM

Well I thought I would update - I posted this on the hyperemesis thread but anyways....I went to my ob appointment yesterday and he was very concerned and offered to "juice me up in the back" - my ob has a way with words - he said I would probably only need 500ml of IV to feel better right away - he left the office and handed me over to another OB around 300ml's in - long story short - I left the office three hours later at closing time with 2 liters of IV fluids pumped in. I only peed a dribble before I left the office - the 2nd ob said I was lucky I wasn't in the hospital and that if he gave 300ml's to his secretaries they would be running for the toilet to pee. He couldn't believe I didn't have to pee after 2 liters of fluid. He said he wants me to drink 6-7 big bottles (thats the 32 oz ones) per day of gatorade until I get back on top of the dehydration because he was sending me home still pretty dehydrated....yikes....thats a lot of high fructose corn syrup to keep down...

I also found out I have a bladder infection which was caused by beta strep so now I am on penicillin (grrrr) and I am hoping my mw will still be okay with a homebirth after all this...although I think I have heard before that the beta strep is still okay with homebirth...I don't know...I asked about all the sugar from the gatorade being bad for the baby/bladder infection but the ob said that he would rather me get my calories from sugar than get no calories at all. Hmmm.....my mw is back in town on Sunday so I will be interested to see what she has to say....I guess I am grateful for now that I was able to get IV fluids in the office instead of the hospital....thats for sure....

On another note for all those women out there on progesterone or spotting...I just stopped spotting at 9 weeks (am at 10 wks now and still on Prometrium since 4 wks) and according to the ob I talked with yesterday most women who lose a pg due to low progesterone lose it between 6 and 8 weeks. He said the placenta takes over making progesterone between 8 and 10 weeks so by 11 weeks you are totally safe if you go off progesterone. He said obviously he can't guarantee that I won't lose the pg but if it occurs later than now, it would be for another reason. He said the tradition is to wait until 12 weeks to go off the meds, but there is no research out there to back that up - it just makes people feel more safe. On the flip side, he said taking the progesterone past 10 weeks can make pg women more nauseous and dizzy since the placenta is already producing it anyway...needless to say this is an opinion from the medical establishment viewpoint but I thought I would share...

Christine, wife to my dh since 10/03, mama to my three monkeys ~:-) ds1/6/05, dd9/9/08 and ds 8/3/10

#103 of 148 Old 02-06-2008, 03:16 PM

Christine, your post made me tear up in joy. I am 8 weeks today and haven't spotted at ALL. I was so nervous about not being tested for low progesterone, and now I feel so much better! THANK YOU!!!!

Chels, please do let us know. I'm concerned for you and pray that all is well.

I've been feeling rotten for the past couple of days. Maybe one of you can suggest something. Yesterday I woke up with a bad headache. Was feeling borderline migraine. Cancelled my classes and went back to bed. Went up for my afternoon sessions and then had opera dress rehearsal last night. Stomach was off, but I still ate. Went to bed with the headache. Woke up this morning with my head still hurting. I drank 2 cups of coffee (think DH made it 1/2 caff), and my head's feeling better. However, I've been kinda dizzy and off balance and really short of breath. Any ideas? I called my midwife but haven't heard back from her. Maybe I should call her cell phone.

I'm 8 weeks I'm 8 weeks I'm 8 weeks! Current fear is that I'm carrying around a dead embryo. Yeah, I'm psycho. It's just that I got so bloated in week 6 and then was showing by week 7. No real physical changes in the past week. Maybe that's being unreasonable . . . probably so . . .

And of course I'm heartbroken for SIL and BIL. SIL was diagnosed with carrying "fragile x syndrome". She has a 50% chance of passing a mutated gene to her baby that will likely result in a special needs baby. She's due in September as well.

~ Kimberly

DD 2004; 3 angel1.gif babies 2007-08; rainbow1284.gif twin DDs 2009; DD 7/12/11 hospital uhoh3.gif VBAC bouncy.gifafter 2 cesareans!

#104 of 148 Old 02-06-2008, 03:28 PM

chels - love and prayers mama!

christine - i'm so sorry you are going through this all right now. it's hard to be thankful when you are so miserable. i hope you find something that works for you soon.

kimberly - woot for eight weeks!

#105 of 148 Old 02-06-2008, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

The OB's office called yesterday with my progesterone results. I ASKED them to re-check it because they told me to STOP taking it entirely after it was 40+ at 6w3d. I didn't stop taking it, but did drop down to 200mg/day instead of 400mg/day. Well, Monday at 7w1d, it was 10.1. Needless to say I'm back on the 400mg, but I'm totally freaked out that it was that low and worried that it might be too late . I'm not spotting at all, though, which is good, I guess...

Christine, I'm sorry you've been so sick and are having a hard time staying hydrated. I think the Gatorade is more for the hydration than the nourishment, but I agree that *some* calories are better than none. Remember to keep eating, even if it always comes back up, because if you can keep something (anything!) down for 15-30 mintues, you and baby get *some* nourishment from it.

Chele, I'm thinking of you.

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#106 of 148 Old 02-06-2008, 07:56 PM

Update ladies!
Well, I didn't do the ultrasound. I had an appointment, but after serious contemplation, I cancelled it. I chose to wait and see what other kinds of reassurance I could get. I did get the first day's blood test back, my HCG was 118,000- for my hospital's test, thats in the range for 12-16 wks, and I am only 9 weeks! So I guess thats good! My progesterone was only at 17, up from 13 since I started supplementing. I am increasing my progesterone, and my midwife and my kiniesiologist would like to see me stay on it well into my 2nd trimester, and wean gradually. As soon as I increased my progesterone (I was doing 20mg of cream) to 80mg, I puked an hour later. My first real sign of morning sickness! Woo-hoo!
Now my kiniesiologist has me on 40 mg of cream a day and 44 mg of a liquid sublingual progesterone for a total of 84mg per day.
So another thing my kinisiologist did for me is test the health of the baby 98% healthy! Woo-hoo! Hoping the other 2% is nothing big.
And she muscle tested for the sex of the baby! A girl!
And she tested me for the best sources of protein for my blood type and how often to eat each source. (for me lots of fish, dairy, and red meat, so much for being mostly vegetarian, my body doesn't process nuts and most beans too well, blood type b pos)
I am so happy to have my answers! I will know more after I get my HCG test redone, my m/w says after 8 wks, it takes longer to double, so I will go in tomorrow for that.
Best wishes for all of you, hugs to those who are spotting, sending out sticky vibrations!
GEM
I feel happy enough with my kinisiology results and the 1st HCG test to skip the ultrasound for now and am ready to travel with confidence!
#107 of 148 Old 02-06-2008, 08:00 PM

Christine:
Could you take Recharge, the Health Food Store version of Gatorade? I bet its not sweetened with HFCS and actually has some real juice in it too.
#108 of 148 Old 02-06-2008, 09:59 PM

Thanks again for all you thoughts. The ultrasound went great. We have a heartbeat. http://www2.snapfish.com/thumbnailsh...26/t_=94108126

Little Blue Bird is chirpping (sp?)!!!!

The doctor think everything looks great. The spotting has stopped. He is not worried about the fever right now. He agreed to recheck the prog. and if it is going down anymore he will put me on prog. I am so relieved. DH is so excited. He started crying during the u/s.

#109 of 148 Old 02-06-2008, 11:52 PM

Chels2000!
Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#110 of 148 Old 02-07-2008, 12:14 AM

Chels so glad to hear it. I have been thinking about you and the little blue bird and hoping that all was well. So glad to hear that things are great!

#111 of 148 Old 02-07-2008, 02:27 AM

Great news, Chelsey & GEM! Yay yay yay!!!

GEM, that's so much information. Crazy! Tell me more - how did they get so much information on your pregnancy, like health and sex, this early on??

My lower ab is definitely rounder and firmer all of a sudden today. Yippeee!

#112 of 148 Old 02-07-2008, 01:51 PM

Well, my hk is a level 10 health kinisiologist and she basically just asked my body how healthy the baby is, asked the baby what the sex was, and asked if it was one soul or twin souls (only one) and muscle tested me for the results. If you've never been muscle tested, its probably hard to believe/understand, but every single thing I've ever been muscle tested on has been accurate. So if you have your arm up and a skilled hk pushes on it after asking your body a question, you try to hold resistance, if the answer is yes you will hold strong, if its no you will not be able to hold resistance no matter how hard you try. It also works for percentages, dosages, etc. Thats how we got my progesterone dosage. It just works! I know chiros and acupuncturists who use it in their practices also. Its a somewhat controversial practice that has been labelled as a pseuodscience by critics, but all I know that is works and I have a VERY skilled practitioner who has helped me spiritually, emotionally, physically, and mentally to have healing I never thought possible.
Here's a link that my further explain it
http://www.kinesiology.net/sk.asp
Labortrials I will PM you the link to my practitioner.
GEM
#113 of 148 Old 02-07-2008, 02:12 PM

Charmie - thanks - and by the way the OB I have been seeing says that for Progesterone anything over 10 is good - I had levels of 60 something at 5 or 6 weeks and then 21 at 7 weeks even though my dose of Prometrium hadn't changed so things could still be okay....postive thoughts for you

Chels2000 - Congratulations!!!!!

GEM - COngratulations as well!!! And fwiw, I actually have tried Recharge as well as the homemade electrolyte drink I make for ds when he has vomiting or diarreah and both made me gag. The aftertaste of gatorade is awful and I hate the food coloring and HFCS - I never eat like this!!! GRRRR!!!! But I have been able to sip more of it than water - I have been trying to switch off between gatorade and water - I am still having a hard time drinking enough though....Its weird its like I can't force myself to gulp anything down - even if its cold or through a straw or whatever - I can only do tiny sips - I am trying to get over that but my gag reflex is so strong right now and I think I have a real fear of vomiting that makes it hard for me to overcome anything I know would lead to vomiting more....

Thanks for the positive words and thoughts mamas - hope you all don't have to go through this....

#114 of 148 Old 02-07-2008, 05:56 PM

I have a question for you guys. I just got off the phone with my OB. He said that my prog went down again. Here is what it has been
4wks-25
5wks-26.7
6wks 2days-22
6wks 4 days-21

He said he is going to put me on supplements once a day and just 100mg. Does that seem like enough?

I am worried that it may be to late since the numbers are already dropping.

#115 of 148 Old 02-08-2008, 12:56 AM

Chels
I think your doc has a good idea. My m/w wanted me to take between 50-100 mg and I settled on 84 after doing only 20 mg for several weeks with not too much improvement. I feel pretty good on 84 mg.
I think 100 is enough, although some women certainly have luck with more, but your levels aren't extremely low to begin with, although they are dropping, I think supplementing will help. I doubt its too late, they haven't dropped so low as to cause miscarraige, as far as the limited progesterone knowledge I have gained during this whole thing!
Now off to finish packing...
GEM
Will catch up in 10 days or so!
#116 of 148 Old 02-08-2008, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabella View Post
GEM - COngratulations as well!!! And fwiw, I actually have tried Recharge as well as the homemade electrolyte drink I make for ds when he has vomiting or diarreah and both made me gag. The aftertaste of gatorade is awful and I hate the food coloring and HFCS - I never eat like this!!! GRRRR!!!! But I have been able to sip more of it than water - I have been trying to switch off between gatorade and water - I am still having a hard time drinking enough though....Its weird its like I can't force myself to gulp anything down - even if its cold or through a straw or whatever - I can only do tiny sips - I am trying to get over that but my gag reflex is so strong right now and I think I have a real fear of vomiting that makes it hard for me to overcome anything I know would lead to vomiting more....
Whenever I feel sick like that I eat Pediapops. Pedialite tastes quite nasty as a drink, but I swear the Pediapops are yummy. Maybe give those a try? You poor thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chels_c2000 View Post
I am worried that it may be to late since the numbers are already dropping.
I know you must be so worried. I think it's great that the progesterone deficiency has been caught. Hopefully the supplementation will help you. You're doing all you can. Remember that!

GEM, thanks for the PM.

Me - MDC is so slow and flakey it makes me crabby. Actually, I'm dead tired, so I'm crabby anyway. Our opening night was last night, and I had to schmooze at the gala so didn't get home until 11pm. 7am came fast and early this morning. I teach until 4pm then will probably nap on the floor (yay) in my office until I have to go back up for the opera. My ILs get in late tonight. DH better clean up the house this evening, cuz it's kind of a disaster. I'm so tired I could cry.

But I'm 8w2d, so that's good!

~ Kimberly

#117 of 148 Old 02-13-2008, 06:01 PM

DH and I BDed yesterday morning and I've been worried about miscarriage ever since. I'm nuts right? Did have maybe a teeny bit of spotting yesterday, and I don't feel crampy or anything. But I'm still worried.

#118 of 148 Old 02-13-2008, 06:33 PM

Kimberly - we BD'd too last night and in the TMI dept, I made Big Daddy pull out because I was scared his boys would induce dilation! I felt a big cramp kind of feeling after I O'd, but it went away and no spotting today, so I think I'm okay.

I'm just freaking out because my next u/s is Monday morning, and I'll be the same gestation as when we first found out we were having a problem with the twins. I'm really scared.

#119 of 148 Old 02-13-2008, 07:03 PM

:

I'm doing really bad. Mostly because I'm not showing (at 11 weeks)...we got to hear the heartbeat last week at 10 weeks with the dopplar and that was awesome. We have our big screening next week on Tuesday to check nuchal thickness (we are 25% carriers for her condition...which is lethal at birth. It's important for us to get the U/S...even though I don't know if I could terminate should we find out that our new baby has the condition), and while I'm looking forward to it I just have this feeling that the other shoe is going to drop and we are going to find out something bad. I just can't shake this feeling that something is wrong with this baby!

And that makes me feel so bad, to be doubting him/her

But yeah, DH is feeling the same way and we try not to talk about it much because we both just lose it. I guess my pregnancy is just so similar to my pregnancy with Luna that it is giving me a bad case of the willies.

Let's hope I'm just spooked and there isn't anything wrong!! U/S are so so terrifying for me, it was at an ultrasound at 36 weeks that we found out Luna would die at birth - I'll relive that room, the tech, the sounds & smells as long as I live. Just going into the U/S room makes me feel awful.
#120 of 148 Old 02-13-2008, 07:22 PM

starparticle: I am so sorry that you are struggling with fears and doubts....it is totally human to feel what you are feeling - especially if you have lived through a trauma which the human body cannot fully process all at once...I have suffered from PTSD in the past due to other trauma in my life but I think I have experienced a milder version of some of the symptoms going through a pregnancy after a loss...you might look up some of the signs and symptoms of it and see if you can relate...

For what its worth, I am 11 weeks, 1 day and I am *barely* showing - I feel like I was showing a lot a few weeks ago but then I had issues with HG, a UTI, a stomach bug and now the flu (we can't catch a break here - I better have superimmunity the rest of this pg) so maybe I was just bloated in the beginning and just letting my tummy hang out...who knows....maybe I lost weight....

I have an appt. on Friday to *hopefully* hear the heartbeat with a doppler which will make me feel a lot better - I have been nervous this week coming down to a half dose of prometrium - so far so good - no spotting - but I am not bold enough (or well enough) to even think of BDing yet - V Day will have to wait...sending lots of positive thoughts to all you other mamas as well....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page