Mothering Forum banner

Going Skiing...?

583 views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  labortrials 
#1 ·
So, my DH and I booked a week long ski vacation the week before I found out I was PG. We're definitely still going but I'm just not sure if I should plan on actually skiing this trip. I really wanna ski since this is the first ski trip I've been on since '05 (the year before I got PG w/ DD#1). We have day-care for 1/2 the day and everything. I'm thinking about just avoiding the moguls and not going "big". What do you think?

#2 ·
Ooh. Tricky. Are you a good skiier? Then maybe if you just stay on easy slopes it would be okay? I'm secretly hoping that's the right answer because we all have season passes this year and I was really hoping to ski during my first trimester (except I've been sick...maybe the universe is trying to tell me something?)

I know your balance is affecting by pregnancy. Just be careful and don't take any unnecessary risks. One of my friends who is an excellent skier skied during her last pregnancy. She just took it easy.

#3 ·
IMHO anything short of WWF wrestling is fine before 12 or 13 weeks. Until then your uterus is still inside your pelvis and so very very protected. Unless you had some sort of traumatic impact that went INTO your pelvis, even a hard fall wouldn't do anything.

I'll be skiing until 12 weeks for sure

#5 ·
I'm not skiing this season. I normally do a women-only group/class on Fridays, but not this year. I'm too aggressive a skier. Perhaps if I hadn't had 2 miscarriages last year (totally not exercise related, of course), I would feel so wimpy. We might go skiing in a couple of weeks since DD is 3 now. I'd probably be ok skiing intermediate stuff w/o too much worry. Then again, my balance is already feeling "off", so maybe not. Dunno.

I agree with the others, it's probably just fine. Just take it easy and don't push your cardiovascular system too hard.

#7 ·
Thanks for the input, I was pretty sure I'd be fine but with all the cautionary "advice" about exercise (they make it sound like walking and prenatal water yoga are the ONLY things you're allowed to do while PG). I figured I'd post for a reality check. The only thing I'm worried about is the fatigue. All I wanna do right now is nap.

#10 ·
Probably the biggest reason I won't ski this season is the fact that I'm having "twinges" in my lower abdomen. It's probably either ligaments stretching or adhesions breaking away. Regardless, if I move too quickly (or just WRONG), it "stings".
Grr!

#11 ·
Glad to hear other may be skiing. I've only gotten a few days in thus far, and we just got a ton of snow and I would love to get out there again. So til 12 weeks seems ok? That should get me to the end of ski season. I did some Cross Country and that was great exercise. But women, I am so tired with this one. But you've got to spend energy to have some right?

#13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by labortrials View Post
Probably the biggest reason I won't ski this season is the fact that I'm having "twinges" in my lower abdomen. It's probably either ligaments stretching or adhesions breaking away. Regardless, if I move too quickly (or just WRONG), it "stings".
Grr!
Wow... me too! Now I know i'm not just crazy. lol. If I stand up too fast on my own... or if I try to get up without pushing myself up I get a twinge that really stings. I usually have someone help pull me up from sitting down low... or grab onto something now.

#14 ·
I had a LOT of that "twinge" stuff with my DD's pregnancy . . . but it started up much later on. I know that my pelvis was not in good alignment, and it got really bad in the 3rd trimester. I'm pretty sure I suffered from symphasis pubis disorder (SPD) with her and won't be surprised if it's somewhat a problem with this pregnancy too. I do go to a chiro regularly, and she's really helping me with round ligament tightness.

I'm so jealous of you skiers. I'm hoping we can get out next weekend. Otherwise, maybe we can do some snow shoeing. I need to start walking this week. I'm feeling oozy. Yuck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.