Anemia, yayy! LOL - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 02-08-2008, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well I went back today to see how my tests went and apparently I have anemia I guess not that surprising since I don't eat meat and I'm a super pale redhead but still I'm going to have to take the iron supplements because I have been eating very well for a vegetarian and still have really really bad iron levels...( i've tried the liquid natural supp before but it was not working for me.)
It all makes sense now.... The sleeping all day long thing
The iron pills make me soooo constipated though and I'm already barely pooping as it is!!!!!
but yah, other than that I don't have anything wrong with me so I guess thats a plus
does anyone know a good natural laxative I can take with these darn iron pills?

My first u/s is valentines day
#2 of 15 Old 02-09-2008, 02:31 AM

I'm totally on the anemia boat too...here's what's worked for me:

I switch between Floradix (herb based) and a iron pill (heme based) supplements, every other day. When I take the pills I also take psyillium so it doesn't totally clog me up

It's important to get both sources of iron to balance out absorbancy...

This little routine kept my iron up and up and up through my last pregnancy, hopefully it will work this time too, since I'm starting out slightly anemic.
#3 of 15 Old 02-09-2008, 03:39 AM

I've heard of addressing anemia not from the "add more iron" perspective but from the "retain more iron" perspective. I don't know the specifics but an herbalist or homeopath or the like might be able to point you to something other than the iron pills. Good luck!
#4 of 15 Old 02-09-2008, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

yah i think im going to try the anemia and the pills one day liquid the next. sounds like a better idea for my tummy thanks star
#5 of 15 Old 02-09-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby_baby_mommy View Post
I've heard of addressing anemia not from the "add more iron" perspective but from the "retain more iron" perspective. I don't know the specifics but an herbalist or homeopath or the like might be able to point you to something other than the iron pills. Good luck!
Vitamin C is essential to absorption of iron. I would recommend taking ascorbic acid to help with iron absorption.

Tessa, mama to M (93) B(94) T (05) G (08) and waiting for the arrival of ? on 10/23
#6 of 15 Old 02-09-2008, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

yes vit c is important for sure! Ive been making my own home made OJ here for my vit c ...mmmmm
i think my body is messed right now! I keep craving meat..like bloody red meat!!!:
If I knew a nice organic local farm I might even eat my first piece of meat in decades
but for now Im going to try the pills and take them with my OJ
#7 of 15 Old 02-09-2008, 07:09 PM

Not from your ddc but-

You shouldnt take iron within 2 hours of calcium. (Even if its broccoli)

It doesnt absorb as well.
#8 of 15 Old 02-09-2008, 09:52 PM

I am unfortunately the queen of pregnancy induced anemia, I do the same as the pp, Floradix and then also Energizing Iron which is a liquid liver capsule. I also did alfalfa with my last pregnancy, which is supposed to help with absorbency and retention and like someone else said vit c. I hadn't had a chance to get into a good routine before m/s took over and I haven't been able to take my vit/supplements as often as I should. I'm definitely feeling the effects
#9 of 15 Old 03-07-2008, 09:53 PM

Just got my blood tests back, and I'm in the anemia club. Not really news to me, though, because I have Thalassemia minor and it always shows up that I'm anemic. But I don't want to have any trouble on top of that.

I just went to the store and got some Floradix, but I think I might do what some of you are doing and try alternating it with another iron supp. That sounds like a great idea.
#10 of 15 Old 03-07-2008, 10:14 PM

Colace should help. Sorry you are anemic. Hope it gets better!
#11 of 15 Old 03-08-2008, 03:57 AM

I too bear the anemia label. My OB prescribed prenatal vits with a super dose of iron. I found in my previous pregnancy that colace worked the best for constipation.

So in : with E and G...give the ultimate gift:
#12 of 15 Old 03-08-2008, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippyLongstocking View Post
does anyone know a good natural laxative I can take with these darn iron pills?
My nurse told me to take stool softener (docusate sodium) 3 times a day and that's worked well for me so far. You can also take Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide). Also add psyllium husk and flax seed meal to your diet, that helps a lot as well. I've had a lot of experience, (unfortunately), especially during my first pregnancy with constipation. I got severely constipated during my first pregnancy and I've experienced it other times as well, I just seem to be prone to it despite eating a high fiber diet.
#13 of 15 Old 03-08-2008, 11:49 PM

I don't have advice on the iron supp. but I wanted to mention that your body is not messed up for making you crave red meat. It's actually doing what is should be doing. Your body's iron levels are too low and your body is trying to tell you so by making you crave a food that your body instictively knows has a lot of iron in it. Aren't our bodies so marvelously smart? They are simply amazing! Some women will actually crave dirt during pregnancy and the reason for that is because they are deficient in minerals! Funny huh?
#14 of 15 Old 03-11-2008, 12:15 AM

Me too and taking Floidex. It is really helping. I am starting to feel normal again. I also started taking a powder magnesium which really helps with the nausea.
I use good old fashion prunes, eating one day.
#15 of 15 Old 03-12-2008, 11:51 AM

One sneaky way I get iron into my diet is by cooking everything on cast iron.. I'm vegetarian as well, and my iron levels are on the very high side. I think that it has a bit to do with the fact that we cook everthing on cast iron pans and even muffin tins.

Oh, and as for craving meat - I too have been craving meat. I went to my local organic small farm, got some stew beef and DH made me a yummy beef broth. It got rid of my craving and I got some good stuff in me too. I hadn't eaten meat in over 2 years before last week. I basically figured that if i started craving something in particular, that I would eat it (not Cheetos, though!), because that meant that my body needed whatever it was. Follow your body's lead...

hippie.gifWife to blowkiss.gifJames , treehugger.gifMama to Saraenergy.gif and Robbie bouncy.gif
knit.gifread.gifgeek.gifgd.gifh20homebirth.giffamilybed2.gif  398/2013, 2/200, 4/52

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page