Mothering Forum banner

stupid questions

521 views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  starparticle 
#1 ·
I'm feeling pretty nervous and anxious about labor and delivery because at this point it looks like I'll be having a hospital birth again. My first birth was ok- but I know more now and a natural birth is really important to me.

So, when should I begin taking birthing classes? When should I start interviewing doulas? Is there anything I need to do now?

#3 ·
my reading list:

birth, a curious history of how we are born (i'm done with this and it was excellent.)

pushed: the painful truth about childbirth and modern maternity care

the thinking woman's guide to a better birth

birthing from within

i think all of these books will give me a good view of what is and isn't medically necessary and help me formulate what i want to refuse, etc.

i'm going to start around month five - as we're planning on touring two hospitals and taking both bradley and hynobabies classes to find what best fits us.

#5 ·
Classes depend on what you're taking and how long they last. If you call the places where they are having the class, they will probably tell you when the best time to take them is.

As for doulas- I don't think you can start too early with this. The good ones may fill up fast and you may want to interview early. I have worked with three different ones and they were VERY different from each other. THe first one I don't think I could have predicted how bad she turned out to be, the other one that was at my first birth was a student and was very calm and good to have around even if she was inexperienced and the one for my second birth had experience, is an RN and was awesome! I would ask other people who have doulas what they liked about their doulas

#7 ·
Is there a birth network or birth circle in your area that you could join? We have one here and they are a wonderful resource for information about classes, careproviders and Doulas.

fyi... http://www.azbirthnetwork.com/

One thing that I would reccomend if you are giving birth in a hospital is to take CBE classes both independent from and within the hospital. The independent class will teach you about your choices in birth and the hospital class is good for letting you know what hospital protocol will be...

#8 ·
Thank you!! I'm sure I'll think of more...

I'm reading Having a Baby, Naturally (the Mothering book) and The Thinking Woman's Guide. I've heard good things about Birthing From Within, so I think I'll pick up a copy.

I'm not sure which class I want to take. I was thinking about taking either Hypnobirthing or Hypnobabies. Both DH and I will go. We're also going to both read a Bradley book, too. I don't think I'm going to bother with a hospital based class- took one with DS, it was useless, and I'm sure my mw can go over hospital policies with me. I will take a tour though. I know I can do that separately.

I have been looking at doulas in the area. I have a few numbers and emails. Guess I should just call? Do I interview them first? What do I ask? How will I know if one is right??

What is a birth circle?

#9 ·
We took Bradley classes with dd1 and they were AWESOME.

By the end, I felt VERY knowledgeable and empowered about the science of birth, my body's abilities, and all my choices, including my choices about interventions, should they become necessary.

Bradley recommends starting the 12 week class in month 4 or 5, I think. Fairly early. The idea is that you have the last couple months to practice the various relaxation techniques with your partner. I'll admit, this was the best part: dh's job was to give me massages on demand!!
:

The book written by Dr. Bradley ("Husband-Coached Childbirth") is kind of a waste of time, though--some birth stories and ideas about the philosophy behind it, but not much by way of the practical and important *how to manage* in childbirth...the class and class literature is much much better.

Some of my fave birth books: Birthing from Within and anything by Sheila Kitzinger. The Bradley workbook-that you get during the class-is FANTASTIC. By far the BEST literature we got about childbirth.

And damn if I didn't throw my away a couple years ago, after dd1 was born, thinking "I'm not going to have another one."
I could throttle myself....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.