Ovulation, BDing & Gender - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-12-2008, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just curious...how many of you used ovulation predictors and ended up with boys? Seems like all my friends that used them did, and was wondering if this was coincidence. I know that there is a method to try to get the gender you want that has you timing BD with times in your cycle (can't remember now what it's called and I'm too lazy to google - also talks about different foods) This seems to be in line with what I've seen. ANy insight?

Just remembered: Shettles Method
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2008, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I read the book it was interesting. Dh and I did take a break from caffeine for a while...more likely to conceive a girl with less caffeine.

Any way a was a charting machine when I get pg with #1 and swore he would be a girl because we happy danced on the 1st of August and I Ov on the 5th of Aug. He would make a pretty girl but he is ALL boy!

Ds#2 I am pretty sure we HD'd and Ov the same day just based on when I got a bfp. No charting then. This time I am not sure I a pretty sure we had about a 3 day lapse between HD and Ov. Mostly because of when I finally got a bfp.....took many tests several days in a row. So well see in 6mo what gender was made from that

:K mama of 3 boys
Old 02-12-2008, 09:09 PM

The only thing I have heard is that male sperm tend to be faster swimmers, but more fragile whereas female sperm are slower swimmers, but much hardier. So, if you want to increase the chances of having a girl, then DTD a couple of days before O (female sperm will be more likely to be around when the egg comes down). If you want to increase the chances of having a boy, then DTD on your O date.

We DTD 2 days before O, so we'll see what happens. We didn't do that on purpose to try for a girl, it's just the way it worked out. I know we DTD on our O date with ds2. I was not charting at all with DS1, so I have no idea how the timing worked on that one.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
Old 02-12-2008, 10:45 PM

Yeah, according to the Shettles method (very roughly, having never read the book and having no particular expertise) if you have sex on the day or the day before O, you are more likely to have a boy. That's what would happen with an ovulation predictor kit. If you have sex 3 or more days before O you're more likely to have a girl.

My son was conceived the day before O, my daughter was 3 days before. Tihs baby was on a last-ditch almost 5 days before O fling, so I'm thinking according to that it should definitely be a girl.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well, we BDed when I was ovulating, so I guess I'll be able to confirm for myself whether there is any truth to it! I'm tempted to find out the gender, simply to see if the theory holds any water. I also had a dream the morning after I conceived that a little boy ran into my room and jumped onto my belly. But I don't like to tell people that because if it ends up being a girl I don't to come off as disappointed. Curious though. WOuldn't that be funny?
Old 02-12-2008, 11:45 PM

With DD we BD'd every day for 4 days before and including the day of O. With this one we BD'd every day for 3 days before, the day of O and the day after O. We clearly weren't trying for one gender or another - we were just trying to get knocked up :

Mama to two wonderful DDs (10/06 and 09/08) and expecting a DS 1/1/11!

User Tag List