ultrasound vent - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 02-13-2008, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I showed up for my ultrasound today early arent I the bestest?
but little did I know that you are not allowed to bring kids with you
( Ive had tons of other ultrasounds and no one has ever said anything about no kids )
So the receptionist calls my name and then on my way in ( yes she didnt tell me no kids until I was on my way in!!)
and then tells me I will have to leave my kids out in the waiting room. I was totally taken back but thought ok this could work so I tell my son who is 7 to watch his little sister (23 months) for a little while and if he needs me just to YELL FOR ME!

My daughter starts to cry as soon as I leave her sight. I tell the technician that this is the first time I have ever had to abandon my children for an ultrasound and she replies..
If you have a problem miss then take it up with the management NOT ME!
She told me that this was a professional medical office and she needs to concentrate!The woman was wearing a shirt that her bra was showing right through for petes sake!!!!!!
SO im in the room for about 30 seconds when I get upset at her .. I told her Look lady, You may think a professional medical office abandons children and makes the patients feel like SHIT but I DONT AND I GUESS NOW BECAUSE OF YOU I CANT SEE MY BABY!

holy moly eh I think it really IS the red hair!
She told me that I would have to leave because she didnt have to deal with my attitude.......
So yah, I took the train across the city with 2 kids , spent money on lunch, snacks, water etc.. and all for NOTHING! I dont even know how far along I am!
Sheeeeeeeeeeesh woman!
And you know what really sucks?
I cant find my phone to call into her boss and tell them what a horrible experience I just had at their stupid clinic..If they are going to suddenly change the rules to NO KIDS ALLOWED shouldnt they at least put it on requisition form????

ahh sorry This is all written horribly and Im so bitchy but damn I needed to vent!
#2 of 23 Old 02-13-2008, 07:08 PM

That is SO effed up!!

I hope you find your phone pronto, because her boss needs to hear every detail of how insulting that lady was.

That is such a bizarre policy!!
#3 of 23 Old 02-13-2008, 07:13 PM

That's awful. She could have at least tried, and then if it wasn't working she could have explained why (ie. kids being too noisy) and rescheduled. I find some people have very little compassion or tolerance for mothers who are doing their best. I understand children can be a distraction, but at least TRY for God's sake! I had an emergency ultrasound done with my daughter in the room crying because she thought they were hurting me and they spoke soothing words to her and congratulated me on my healthy little babe in-utero. No one spoke a word about the presence of my daughter, except to comment on how cute she was.

I would definitely complain. She lacked compassion for you and your children.
#4 of 23 Old 02-13-2008, 07:39 PM

Ugh the nerve of that woman!

At my u/s the tech drew pics with my son while I was undressing behind the curtain and even printed him an extra picture for him to carry around of his new sibling....

Good for you for standing up for yourself! I second pp to call her boss and give them another piece of your mind...

Christine, wife to my dh since 10/03, mama to my three monkeys ~:-) ds1/6/05, dd9/9/08 and ds 8/3/10

#5 of 23 Old 02-13-2008, 07:42 PM

I'm so sorry you had to deal with that!! Truly messed up. You'd think a place that is giving a service to mothers would be more accomodating to children. That is, after all, why we are there in the first place.

I hope you get a chance to properly tell them off, and find a new and better doc. Good luck!
#6 of 23 Old 02-13-2008, 07:43 PM

I have had a crazy day too, but I think yours trumps mine. I would be so mad at them for not making that policy known UP FRONT, at the VERY LEAST!

I can't imagine not letting siblings in the sonogram room, but people are just really anti-child sometimes and it doesn't surprise me.

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#7 of 23 Old 02-13-2008, 08:14 PM

That's ridiculous. I've had 4 U/Ss now while holding my DD. (3 during my last miscarriage.) They always get one of the nurses to offer to hold her but she usually screams bloody murder, so I just hold her next to me. That is just ridiculous. They can't possibly expect everyone to have access to childcare.

Mama to two wonderful DDs (10/06 and 09/08) and expecting a DS 1/1/11!
#8 of 23 Old 02-13-2008, 08:56 PM

That's ridiculous. They are performing a SERVICE for you. YOU are the CUSTOMER. You definitely need to complain to the supervisor and the head obstetrician. I would even send them a bill for the amount of petty cash you are out as a result of their inflexibility and unprofessional mysogenistic behavior. Now, I'd be out of the practice too . . . because even having a desk person tell me I couldn't take my kids in with me would be enough to send me over the edge.

I'd be pretty suspicious of the entire practice, actually . . .

Kimberly, mom & wife - blogging.jpg about pregnancy and birth
DD 2004; 3 angel1.gif babies 2007-08; rainbow1284.gif twin DDs 2009; DD 7/12/11 hospital uhoh3.gif VBAC bouncy.gifafter 2 cesareans!

#9 of 23 Old 02-13-2008, 09:00 PM

Oh how mean! I told my husband about your story and he said if that ever happened to me he gives me permission to say "F*ck you B*tch!" and leave. He said if it had been him he would have punched the lady. lol. He gets so worked up over these things sometimes...

Rachel lady.gif, in love with my baby girl Abigailenergy.gifborn 9/17/08!
#10 of 23 Old 02-13-2008, 10:56 PM

Oh for heaven's sake! It's *their* fault, sorry, if they're let you come with your kids all the times before then how would you know it was going to be different today??

Some people just don't understand that sometimes we have to bring our kids with us, even if it would be more convenient or better in some ways not to, that's just not the way it goes sometimes.

Bleh, I'm sorry you had such a bad time! I would be sooo disappointed too.
#11 of 23 Old 02-14-2008, 12:02 AM

I'm so sorry that you had to deal with something so ridiculous! I don't think I would be able to leave my kids unattended in the waiting room ever! Well until they're much older at least like preteen or something. If anything, I would have said that I'll have them wait outside the door of the room I'm in while the tech does the ultrasound. I would definitely complain!
#12 of 23 Old 02-14-2008, 12:26 PM

good for you to say something right away though! I hope you get a hold of someone and chew them a new *one*

We changed ins and the new clinic says no kids! ugg! I want them to see the baby on the us too it is a family affair. At least though I knew upfront. They had it in big bold type at the top of the page of the "to do" list. The said "Please DO find someone to keep other children busy as they are not allowed in the US room" I thought that was nicer than your other kids are banned from the US room

:K mama of 3 boys
#13 of 23 Old 02-14-2008, 03:27 PM

Uggh I would have been so frustrated. I don't have someone who can keep my kids when I go to appts, they ALWAYS go with me. So they would just be out of luck, Im for sure not leaving a 3.5 yo and 11 mo in the waiting room alone...LOL

Hope you complained to someone, they definatly needed to hear it!
#14 of 23 Old 02-16-2008, 02:47 AM

I would have been FURIOUS! I just had an ultrasound and guess what? My baby was there too. And they were all gushing over her instead of being nasty bitches.
#15 of 23 Old 02-16-2008, 10:50 AM

With pregnancy #4 I only had one u/s and it was at 21 weeks. I had never been to this place before and when I made the appt noone told me I couldn't bring children. It was a middle of the day appt, so of course SAHM are going to have to bring other children.

I go in with a 4 y.o and a 2 y.o and they did the same thing, waited until I was called to come in the back to tell me I wasn't supposed to bring children. The u/s lady was a bit miffed at me at first for bringing them but she did let me take them back with me. I guess the receptionist didn't want to babysit....anyway, my kids were really quiet and good and the u/s lady warmed up to them but it could've been a horrid experience.

To me when you are dealing with 80% of your business is prenatal care, you should be family friendly. JMHO.
#16 of 23 Old 02-16-2008, 03:32 PM

That sucks. How frustrating. I've never heard of no kids allowed during an u/s.
#17 of 23 Old 02-16-2008, 05:26 PM

Stiiiinnky!
To be honest with you, I would have done the exact same thing.

Have you seen the movie Juno? If not, definatly go and see it b/c there is this really funny scene in the u/s room with Juno, her friend and her step-mom where the step-mom totally goes off on the u/s tech- for some reason your story reminded me of that. Great movie, it would make you laugh.

anyway, better luck next time. hopefully she wont be there.

Shane mama to three boys!! Wife to an amazing man.
#18 of 23 Old 02-16-2008, 05:32 PM

What the...
Aren't most ultrasounds "family affairs" with Dad and siblings there? What a dumb policy.

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#19 of 23 Old 02-16-2008, 10:03 PM

That is absolute ROT! What a crappy place. You don't have to go back there, do you? I've never ever had anyone tell me no kids allowed for an ultrasound. You are the paying customer, it's your bloody business whether your kids are there or not. Oh, like ultrasound is SUCH an exact science and requires SO MUCH concentration and thought....especially a dating ultrasound....roll eyes! Gimme a break. Stupid dumb woman! It is a 3-minute procedure and who gives a rip if your kids are there? She should have shut up and dealt with it! Absolute crap. Sorry you had to deal with that. Your baby obviously does not want to be looked at by stupid people! He/she prefers quiet and privacy! Smart babe!
#20 of 23 Old 02-16-2008, 10:54 PM

Unbelievable. Sorry you had to go through that. Some people are just mean.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#21 of 23 Old 02-17-2008, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

aww thanks mamas
I was starting to feel really guilty for acting like a bit of a freak out until I saw all of your responses

Im never going back there again! ( I dont know If I'm allowed back at that clinic now anyways )
I haven't seen Juno but want to see it
And I brought my kids because I bring them everywhere with me...In my eyes they are welcome anywhere I go! ( I never go anywhere rated over PG anyways )
and Yah I AM THE CUSTOMER! They will never get my business again!
If I had a few extra spare hours in a day I would hold a protest outsiode their stupid little clinic!
oh and good news..I just found my home phone today so I can finally call and complain!

does that tell you how messy and unorganized I have been lately?
My sister and mom came over today to help me clean...so sweeet!
Love you mdc mamas! You all rule!
#22 of 23 Old 02-18-2008, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So did you call and complain?? I hope they apologized profusely to you and admitted they were wrong!
#23 of 23 Old 02-18-2008, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

omg no!!!! I called to complain and got the usual runaround. They told me the manager will call me when he is back in town!!
hey also told me If I dont like their policies then I should try and find another clinic to do my tests at....DUH LADY! sheesh

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page