Book recommendation thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-24-2008, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
So I'm brand new to all of this pregnancy/baby stuff and I'm reading as much as I can about it. I checked out 10 books from the library and some of them are really great; some not so great. I'm hoping you all might be willing to throw out names of your favorites so that I can track them down. I'm looking for anything relating to pregnancy - birthing, breastfeeding, what have you.

I'll start with what I think is an incredible book, just published last year, and my absolute favorite of all books I've looked through:

"Dr. Robert Greene's Perfect Hormone Balance for Pregnancy"
(Robert A Greene, M.D. and Laurie Tarkan)

It's a great book - deals with adjusting hormones naturally and with medication (if necessary) in order to stay healthy, feel good, and protect the baby.

lori

Vegan mama to DD (9/08), DS (9/11), and many rescued furbabies. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2008, 11:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My fav's?

birth books
Ina May Gaskin -- Ina May's guide to childbirth
England Horowitz --Birthing from Within (pieces and parts of this one)

breastfeeding book
LLL- The womanly art of breatfeeding. (My pages are thin in this one!)

Me. Full-time intactlact.gif,homeschool.gif,waterbirth.jpgx2 Momma. Part-time Doula & WAHM. Married to my bff USMC CWO2. Momma to the big M energy.gif11/06 -- the lil' superhero.gif C 09/08 and belly.gifexpecting our 3rd & last 12/12.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I LOVE Ina May Gaskin. If I could drive to Tennessee to have this baby I would! Great book, definitely check it out!

Henci Goer's
"Thinking Woman's Guide to a Good Birth" comes highly recommended, but I wasn't all that crazy about the way she writes.

"The Birth Partner" I found very informative and a great read for anyone that is going to be at your labor with you.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:32 AM

Ina May Gaskin's Practical Guide to Childbirth is one of my favorites too
Old 02-25-2008, 03:59 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks all, I'll totally check those out. I do have Ina May's Guide to Childbirth - looking forward to reading that.

In case you didn't see it, this article was on msnbc.com today:

Pioneering midwife touts 'orgasmic birth'
Some women can experience a sort of birth ecstasy and even reach orgasm, says pioneering midwife Ina May Gaskin.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23239361/from/ET/

Old 02-25-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristina47454 View Post
I LOVE Ina May Gaskin. If I could drive to Tennessee to have this baby I would!
That made me giggle! That is like a dream to me too. To drive to the farm like 2months before we're due and live the life there until 2-3 months post partum. AAAHHHHHH, the thought brings peace inside me. hehehe.

Me. Full-time intactlact.gif,homeschool.gif,waterbirth.jpgx2 Momma. Part-time Doula & WAHM. Married to my bff USMC CWO2. Momma to the big M energy.gif11/06 -- the lil' superhero.gif C 09/08 and belly.gifexpecting our 3rd & last 12/12.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:02 AM

Gentle Birth Choices - Barbara Harper (get the one that has the DVD)

Babycatcher - I can't remember the author's name, but an exceptional book that made me want to drop everything and train as a midwife.

Birthing from Within

The Natural Nursery

The Complete Organic Pregnancy - Amazing book that made me completely paranoid for days about everything in and outside of my house. Highly recommended reading for those of us who are trying to get as organic as possible, as well as tons of websites and resources listed.

That's all I can think of. I have a two page list of books at home that I'll try to remember to post tonight...

hippie.gifWife to blowkiss.gifJames , treehugger.gifMama to Saraenergy.gif and Robbie bouncy.gif
knit.gifread.gifgeek.gifgd.gifh20homebirth.giffamilybed2.gif  398/2013, 2/200, 4/52

Old 02-25-2008, 11:09 AM

I second everyone elses suggestions but I also really love Aviva Jill Romms pregnancy book. I cant remember the title...maybe someone else can help with that one. I have it on my shelf downstairs but I am lazy.
It is on amazon I am sure.

Joyful mama of 3.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:37 AM

One book I picked up during my 1st pg was The New Well Pregnancy Book. I was pretty soggy when I first got pg, but I did want a ncb. So, when What To Expect (bleh) wasn't cutting it for me, I read Henci Goer and was really disturbed by what she was saying, and was wondering how much bias was coloring her viewpoint. The New Well Pregnancy Book seemed a bit more balanced, and talked about the swing in popularity from NCB to epidurals, etc. without putting a value judgment on either choice. BUT, it also confirmed all the points Goer talked about in terms of evidence-based practices, including the negative side effects of epidurals and other interventions. Goer's book was much more practical in terms of helping me achieve the kind of hospital birth I wanted by letting me know what I might be up against, so it's a MUST read, but the other one helped me, too. Of course, if you're already a determined homebirther, you probably won't need it, lol!

One thing I neglected reading about with my first was actual baby care. I read all the pregnancy, birth, bf books, but I didn't actually open a book about BABIES until a couple of weeks before my due date. Then it finally dawned on me that I would actually have to take care of a newborn.

I like Dr. William Sears' parenting books. The Baby Book is a great reference with all the develpmental milestones, etc. I would also pick up Dr. James McKenna's book about cosleeping (can't remember the title off hand).

One of the biggest challenges for me as a parent is deciding about vaccinations, and they begin right at birth. I like What Your Doctor May NOT Tell You About Vaccines and The Vaccine Book by Dr. Robert Sears as pretty good balanced discussions on the subject.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
Old 02-25-2008, 03:40 PM

It was funny, with my first I couldn't think more than one stage ahead. In the first and second trimester, I was only interested in reading about later pregnancy. In the third trimester I was only interested in reading about labor and delivery. I didn't even start thinking about having a baby until I got very close to the end. At this point, however, I don't even remember the pregnancy books I read! So all of my recommendations are baby-focused

My favorite is:

Raising Happy Children (Parker and Stimpson)
http://www.amazon.com/Raising-Happy-...3960841&sr=8-1

And although I found it a bit heavy handed, I also enjoyed the following as thought provoking:

Unconditional Parenting (Kohn):
http://www.amazon.com/Unconditional-...3960911&sr=1-2

This book really helped me feel more confident about having more than one child:

Siblings without Rivalry (Faber and Mazlish)
http://www.amazon.com/Siblings-Witho...3960994&sr=1-1

As for pregnancy books, all I really remember is I didn't like The Girlfriend's Guide because it made pregnancy and childbirth seem like it just destroyed your body.

* Jaime
Old 02-25-2008, 04:35 PM

My favorite book was/is
Wise Woman Herbal for the Childbearing Year by Susun Weed
Its great because it offers herbal/natural solutions for pregnancy, postpartum, and infancy.
I also liked Bountiful, Beautiful, Blissful by Gurmukh, its a great read and has meditations for pregnancy.
and Prenatal Yoga and Natural Birth by Jeaninie Pavarti Baker
Love Ina May!
Old 02-25-2008, 09:28 PM

Another Ina May article....Here is a link my DH just sent me from Fox News... How funny that he sent it today when we are discussing her so much.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,332219,00.html

Old 02-26-2008, 11:28 AM

Birthing From Within, Henci Goer's Thinking Woman's Guide, Aviva Jill Romm's Healthy Pregnance and Birth (I think that's the title). That's all I can think of for pg/birth right now. I'll take a look at my bookshelf later and see what else stands out. For children/discipline I liked How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk and also Kids Are Worth It by Barbara Coloroso, among others. But I probably read too much!
Old 02-26-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme77 View Post
Another Ina May article....Here is a link my DH just sent me from Fox News... How funny that he sent it today when we are discussing her so much.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,332219,00.html
So, from that whole article and all Ina May has to say, the part they pull out for the title is that she recommends making out during birth.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
Old 02-27-2008, 01:34 PM

I have a few books I am going to get for this pregnancy. I second (and third) anything by Ina May Gaskin. I forget the others right now. I'll have to check back with that list. There are a lot of good ones out, and a lot of not so good ones.

Kathryn, Wife to Andrew, Mama to Nadia (5) and Rhys (2)
Old 02-27-2008, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

This is great stuff; thanks so much to all who have posted! I've ordered a bunch more from the library already.

And Jaime - I got the 'Girlfriend's Guide' from the library last week and was 40ish pages into it when she started dissing homebirths for first-timers. Not reading anymore of it! Urgh.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I like Dr. William Sears' parenting books. The Baby Book is a great reference with all the develpmental milestones, etc.
I think everybody should own a copy of that one. It has a little bit on everything.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

I just got the new "Our Bodies, Ourselves: Pregnancy and Birth" from my library and I think it is excellent. It's brand new - publish date is 2008. Check it out here:

http://www.ourbodiesourselves.org/pu...ns/childbirth/

lori

Old 03-12-2008, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme77 View Post
My fav's?

birth books
Ina May Gaskin -- Ina May's guide to childbirth
AMAZING BOOK!
i thank this book for my 2 hr unplanned, semi unassisted home birth. (hubby freaked and called 911 when he came in the bathroom and saw the head, lol. so a bunch of paramedics and firemen got to attend the end of my home birth
myles was 3 wks early and i didn't even have the book finished but it definetly put me in the right mind set to effectively give birth and stay relaxed. i will read it again before my next labour, if i can only get my copies back, i've bought it 3 times and keep lending it out!
Old 03-13-2008, 02:20 PM

Hi,

I just joined and this is my first post. I just got this book called "Giving birth : a journey into the world of mothers and midwives" by Catherine Taylor and I read half of it in one night and it's quite good. It reads more like a novel and gives you a really great depiction of what to expect in a hospital setting when the delivery is done by a midwife which is what I'm interested in doing.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:01 PM

I really like Having a Baby, Naturally by Peggy O'Mara (publisher of Mothering magazine.) It's a great reference for pregnancy questions (what natural things can I do for headaches, etc.)

modern-mama to DS (5.16.05) and DD (9.11.08) and one more (GIRL!) coming in December
Old 03-13-2008, 09:09 PM
LCB

I really liked The Pregnancy Book by Dr. and Mrs. Sears. She's an RN and has had 8 kids, so she really knows from experience. I thought it was the most honest book, and gave the most accurate depiction of what to expect from your body during each month. Obviously, I'm only in month 4 yet, but they have been spot on so far about most things. Most books really don't bother to try to tell the truth about 'real' morning sickness, and so on, and I feel like they just gloss over things and tell you to eat more crackers. This book wasn't a bit like that.

Me, a husband, a social butterfly 2008, and a cheeky monkey 2011

User Tag List