Has anyone started a registry yet? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 03-04-2008, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here's mine so far! I want to see what other mama's are asking for. You have to click "view registry" at the top to see the list.

I'm a proud mama of two girls! 4/30/06 Madeline, 09/25/08 Amelia
--**I'm here to share my mistakes and learn from yours**--
#2 of 13 Old 03-04-2008, 05:12 PM

We haven't done a nice one like yours but are registered at Babies R us and Target.....I know some of the more expensive items ie carseat/breast pump our parents will get for us.

: DD 8/29/08 and twin boys 11/3/09
#3 of 13 Old 03-04-2008, 05:17 PM

Fun. I'm not registering this time around -- it's our fourth, so we both have everything we need and we've learned we hardly need anything. I bought some newborn diapers this weekend on a lark, and think I'm done baby shopping. But it'll be fun to see what you all come up with!

My list of useful things that first time moms may find useful:

A pouch sling (a good "entry" sling, since it's easy to figure out)
An Ergo
Lots of cheap cotton blankets (so much more useful than we guessed!)
Madela Breast Pump and extra pieces (membranes, yellow things)
A moses basket
Robeez (just 'cause they're cute)

With our first we got a convertible car seat, thinking it would be silly to get an infant car seat when he'd grow out of quickly, and thinking we'd rather not get a carseat that made it easy for us to let him sleep in his carseat. The second time around we decided sleeping in the carseat is fine, got two infant carseats (twins), and loved them. When we drove to a restaurant, if we were lucky and the babies feel asleep we could actually have a nice quiet meal (almost impossible with twins)! But the seats are heavy -- a stroller frame would probably be a worthwhile investment, too, if you go that route.

We got a crib and never used it except to store toys or put the baby down in while ran to the bathroom. It was useful shoved up against our bed when we had three kids in bed with us.

We didn't get a pram, because we prefer to carry newborns. But we did get a nice umbrella stroller that was sometimes useful when the kids got a little older.

* Jaime
#4 of 13 Old 03-04-2008, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I haven't yet, but I was thinking I should sometime soon!

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!
#5 of 13 Old 03-04-2008, 05:23 PM

Lovely registry, by the way. Yay for Welcome with Love.
#6 of 13 Old 03-05-2008, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Wow, thanks for posting that! Way cool. I don't know if I'll do a registry but your list of things helps me loads in knowing what to ask for from my mom and sisters! I'm going to send it to my significant other too so he can know what we might need. Gawd, we're both so clueless.

Oh - Azryel - I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't know what at least half of those things are that you mention above. Ergo, moses basket, pram, robeez...it's another language to me...

Vegan mama to DD (9/08), DS (9/11), and many rescued furbabies. 

#7 of 13 Old 03-05-2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngsoul View Post
Oh - Azryel - I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't know what at least half of those things are that you mention above. Ergo, moses basket, pram, robeez...it's another language to me...
You'll learn soon enough As for the robeez, they're leather booties for the kids...but Isabooties makes all great vegan booties/shoes, and cute! http://isabooties.com
#8 of 13 Old 03-05-2008, 10:04 PM

I have, but I haven't told anyone I'm pregnant yet! I'm 14w 3d, so really I'm just procrastinating, lol.

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#9 of 13 Old 03-06-2008, 02:48 AM

We're registered at Babies R US. Search for Rachel Andrews, and i'm the one due in September 08 of course.

I have a ton of stuff in mine! Not much in the way of clothes yet... not knowing the sex and all.

Rachel lady.gif, in love with my baby girl Abigailenergy.gifborn 9/17/08!
#10 of 13 Old 03-06-2008, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngsoul View Post

My thoughts exactly!!! The only thing I recognized from your list was "blanket!" : Whooo boy!

Sleepy mama to Colin Theodore 8-12-08 and Trevor Arthur 7-17-12.

#11 of 13 Old 03-06-2008, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belia View Post
My thoughts exactly!!! The only thing I recognized from your list was "blanket!" : Whooo boy!
Haha. Yeah, I remember being overwhelmed with new thing to learn the first time around. And the gear is the easy part! There were also questions of what to eat or not eat while pregnant, how to care for morning sickness, which prenatal tests to consent to, a million things to understand about labor and delivery, decisions about whether to circumcise or not, cloth diaper or not, use a pacifier or not, when to introduce a bottle, where baby should sleep, and so on. Funny how I just take having all of the knowledge for granted now.

My second pregnancy was a twin pregnancy, so there was a whole new set of things to learn. This time around I kind of miss having new topics to research to direct all of my energy and excitement towards. I need an outlet for my excitement!

* Jaime
#12 of 13 Old 03-06-2008, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Ergo = baby carrier that has a buckle style that most people find comfortable. On the website they show it even carrying adults, that's how strong it is. It is recommended by chiropractors for its positioning of the baby, while most Babys-r-us carriers such as Baby Bjorn are not.

Moses basket = exactly what it sounds like, a basket that a baby fits in! a bassinet substitute that is more portable. FWIW, I had an old style wind up Graco swing that the swing part detached from, and I just used that for when she fell asleep in the swing (great for colic) and I wanted to take her with me to another part of the house.

Pram = stroller

Robeez = soft leather shoes with adorable motifs on them. They are recommended first shoes because they allow baby's feet to flex naturally and feel the ground while they are learning to walk.

I guess I was unusual in that I had no idea about baby gear because when I had DD I didn't know anyone with babies. Mothering was my resource, so I didn't really question the use of cloth diapers (plus my little sister was in cloth and that's all I had experience with), breastfeeding exclusively, babywearing, etc. My neighbor gave me the swing and I didn't think I'd need it, but it did come in handy. Someone surprised me with a swing with moving parts and songs, but she liked the old swing better. This time I'm asking for more convenient things that I didn't have last time, such as the vibrating chair (great for putting baby in right outside the shower), the baby bath tub (major poo blowouts required bathing, and it'll be nice not to have use the bathtub every time... none of our sinks work well for this), and an infant carseat rather than the convertible. The main reason I'm doing this is so if the baby falls asleep in the car, I can carry him/her inside in the bucket. After working in a daycare I see just how convenient this is! Plus, by the time the baby grows out of it, Maddy will be moving up to a booster seat, and the baby will be in her convertible carseat. Of course, I'm also asking for more cloth diapers (now that I know what works best for me), and prettier baby carriers!

I never even thought about getting a changing table, pacifiers (though I tried them when she was about 4 months and cutting her first teeth), diaper genie (still not totally sure what that is!), sposies (never once used them). We got a sidecar crib and it serves as a napping spot for Maddy in the living room. Luckily we got a pretty cherry-stained one so it looks nice in there. DP got a vibrating chair thing at goodwill and we used it when I took a shower and needed to prop her up outside the shower. But it didn't work and then it collapsed one day so we threw it away... so now we want a NEW one.

I'm a proud mama of two girls! 4/30/06 Madeline, 09/25/08 Amelia
--**I'm here to share my mistakes and learn from yours**--
#13 of 13 Old 03-06-2008, 11:45 PM

we have a BRU one- but we're just using it to keep track of things we want to buy this time around. I don't anticipate sharing it with anyone. we really don't need anything big this time anyway- just a new infant car seat since DS's was recalled.
we have the car seat, some organic cotton sheets, a new sling, breast pump accessories, organic cotton swaddle blankets and towels, etc on it.

modern-mama to DS (5.16.05) and DD (9.11.08) and one more (GIRL!) coming in December

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page