The Business of Being Born- on netflix now!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 03-05-2008, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just saw the new documentary "The Business of Being Born"!! It is definatly a MUST SEE and is available on Netflix now.

If anyone watches it plz share your thoughts!
#2 of 33 Old 03-05-2008, 05:49 AM

I missed not one but TWO showings of this near me due to toddler and illness issues... I just saw this thread and caved. I signed up for Netflix. It's on its way! I can't wait to see it!

I'm a proud mama of two girls! 4/30/06 Madeline, 09/25/08 Amelia
--**I'm here to share my mistakes and learn from yours**--
#3 of 33 Old 03-05-2008, 10:06 AM

I saw it on there. I think you can even watch it online, and am hoping to do so soon!
#4 of 33 Old 03-05-2008, 01:42 PM

We watched it Sunday night. Both DH and I really liked it! It just re-confirmed out decision to have a HB.

Me+DH (2006)
DS (2005)
DD (2008)
#5 of 33 Old 03-05-2008, 07:36 PM

Ooh! I hope it's on blockbuster online too! Off to check!
#6 of 33 Old 03-06-2008, 10:56 PM

I'm watching it right now... just watched the part with the midwife's own difficult birth, and it was exactly like my last birth! I feel better about it just seeing that. :

#7 of 33 Old 03-06-2008, 11:19 PM

blah. i watched it a few nights ago and i was NOT impressed. what is up with that midwife not wearing gloves? IMO that makes HB midwives look reallllllly bad. personally i really liked that midwife's style, and i practice a lot like her, but i would have liked to see some actual monitoring of the baby during labor, and had them talk about how HB midwives safeguard mom and baby. and the transfer at the end? the fact that the baby had undiagnosed IUGR was. . . .idk. i know that mom was seeing an OB at the beginning of her pg, and i am not trying to insinuate that the midwife was negligent, but the whole thing (no gloves, not showing any monitoring, the IUGR) to me just made HB midwives look unprofessional. i would also have liked to see a hospy midwife practicing normal birth. that would have been cool.

it could have been SO much better.

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

#8 of 33 Old 03-06-2008, 11:28 PM

I hope they have it on blockbuster too... I have a blockbuster just down the street from me, so i'm thinking of signing up for blockbuster total access. It would be fun to get new movies every month and trade them in for new ones when i'm bored with them.

Rachel lady.gif, in love with my baby girl Abigailenergy.gifborn 9/17/08!
#9 of 33 Old 03-07-2008, 12:16 AM

As a homebirther, I just want to say that I HATE fetal monitoring. I would not allow it at my last birth and I'm glad I didn't. I didn't allow cervical checks either. I think it's great that there are so many styles of midwives so women have a whole range of choices, not just a choice of hospital style interventions vs home style interventions.

#10 of 33 Old 03-07-2008, 12:54 AM

OK I got it today and I actually have already watched it twice. The homebirths are amazing. Gosh especially the woman in the birth tub I didn't even realize she was pushing. I was a bit put off by the director's "necessary C section" but I don't feel she was committed to the idea of home birth = at any point through her pregnancy. All in all I think the movie was great and may open some people's eyes to how the medical community treats women. Makes me look forward even more ot my next home birth.

AP crunchy homeschooling mama to Henning (1/4/03), Connor (7/1/05) and Elijah (9/21/08) Forever holding my 3 lost little ones in my heart.
#11 of 33 Old 03-07-2008, 04:48 AM

Given her circumstances, I wouldn't expect her to be committed to homebirth. I don't know how I would fare in her place at all, honestly, and as I said before, I hate interventions. I gathered that she was open to homebirth, but something told her to stick with her OB and maybe it was for the best, who knows? I do like that they stressed that OB's are there for interventions, not for normal births, which the majority of the population would have if not for the interventions. I'm tired so not sure if that made sense.

#12 of 33 Old 03-07-2008, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter

actually, for me, i thought that the fact that they showed her c- section birth at the end was great! it was a DRASTIC difference between the beautiful births we saw done at home and the hospital expierience which seemed cold. she also talked about the bonding/ breastfeeding problems the type of birth she chose created. seems like a bigger case for homebirth! Not to mention that the baby was quite premature. i thought it was a great documentary and i agree that it is so great that there are different types of midwifes out there!
#13 of 33 Old 03-07-2008, 11:20 AM

I signed up for the free trial and am downloading the movie now!

Just want to say I've had c-sections and have never had a problem at all with breastfeeding or bonding. My daughter nursed till she was four, and my son's both weaned at age 3.

As with anything there are two sides to every story.
#14 of 33 Old 03-08-2008, 11:01 AM

I just saw it last night. I thought it was great. I liked the contrast between all of the beautiful home births and the film maker's unplanned c-section at the end. I think it made the point that there is an absolute time and place for modern medicine, but that the need for it is much more rare than we have been made to believe. I thought it portrayed home birthing and midwifery in a real and honest way.

sarah, mama to e & j 8/08, and big brother 8/06
#15 of 33 Old 03-08-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
I liked the contrast between all of the beautiful home births and the film maker's unplanned c-section at the end.
Right, because c-sections can't be beautiful births... that's what it appears you are saying.

Hey, I am all for homebirthing - natural birthing, etc... but when the need arises (and I agree that many c-sections are caused by the dr's rushing labor as was proved in the move) c-sections can be wonderful births and they aren't always rushed and cold.
#16 of 33 Old 03-08-2008, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I saw the movie when it was being shown in my area. I enjoyed it as far as the positive births it showed. But having been around MDC for a while, much of the information wasn't surprising.

As far as the circumstances around the director's birth, a lady at the viewing I went to also went to a viewing in LA which the director attended. She said that the director stated that she hadn't wanted the film to be all about her so a good amount of information was left out. It's too bad because it leaves the viewer wondering what the heck happened.

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
#17 of 33 Old 03-08-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellarstella View Post
As a homebirther, I just want to say that I HATE fetal monitoring. I would not allow it at my last birth and I'm glad I didn't. I didn't allow cervical checks either. I think it's great that there are so many styles of midwives so women have a whole range of choices, not just a choice of hospital style interventions vs home style interventions.
you hate fetal monitoring? okay.

my point was that the movie did not seem to portray midwives as competent professionals. i am all for freedom in birth, but if i was a "mainstream" woman, i would not have been swayed to homebirth by that movie. fwiw i had both my babies at home, the second one unnassisted (but attended). i am also a hb midwife.

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

#18 of 33 Old 03-09-2008, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by immamama View Post
Right, because c-sections can't be beautiful births... that's what it appears you are saying.

Hey, I am all for homebirthing - natural birthing, etc... but when the need arises (and I agree that many c-sections are caused by the dr's rushing labor as was proved in the move) c-sections can be wonderful births and they aren't always rushed and cold.
Beautiful is probably not the word that I would use to describe a c-section, no. I was referring more to watching the movie as a viewer, and how the births come across. I am sure that every birth is beautiful in it's own way for the mother involved, it is a magical experience regardless of how your baby enters the world. I actually thought that the c-section at the end of that movie was the calmest, most serene one I have ever seen (in a tv or movie format- I have never seen one in person). Being pregnant with twins, there is a much higher chance that I will need to have a c-section, so I am hoping that, as you said, a c-section can be a wonderful experience for all involved.

sarah, mama to e & j 8/08, and big brother 8/06
#19 of 33 Old 03-09-2008, 08:54 PM

I saw it this afternoon in the theatre. I really liked it. I didn't learn anything but I still enjoyed watching it. I actually wondered if I would enjoy it because I am pretty picky about birth, lol. Even a lot of homebirths don't appeal to me because of too much intervention. There were a couple parts of the flim that annoyed me and I could recommend a few things that could have been added as far as information goes but overall I still think it was excellent.

It did not bother me that they never showed any fetal monitoring but it did annoy me that they did not address the anti-HB OB's comments about it. The anti-HB OB said she wondered about fetal monitoring and if they even do that in HBs and said she really knew nothing about HBs. That would have been the perfect opportunity for someone to talk about how CFM does not improve outcomes but does increase the risk for unnecessary c-section and a lot could have been said about the inaccuracy of CFM and how intermittent one on one monitoring produces the same outcomes with less c-sections.

I didn't mind the MW not wearing gloves but it annoyed me that her hands were "delivering" the baby with the woman who was on her knees in the birth pool. The mom didn't see like she needed any assistance and the MW just seemed in the way to me. I would not have liked that had I been that mom.

I hate focusing on the parts that bothered me though because almost everything else really rocked IMO!
#20 of 33 Old 03-11-2008, 12:12 AM

DH and I just watched it. It made me really jealous of women who have access to midwives and birth centers. We have neither here. Not to mention that my insurance states explicitly on the first page that they don't cover midwives. That said, I will have the same ridiculous birth plan I had with my DD and I will drive everyone at the hospital nuts again.

Mama to two wonderful DDs (10/06 and 09/08) and expecting a DS 1/1/11!
#21 of 33 Old 03-11-2008, 09:25 AM

The no gloves bothered me bigtime because if she's not using gloves on one she's probably not on any and she could be carrying all kinds of diseases having different people's blood on her almost on a daily basis. It just strikes me as a very stupid thing to do, she's not protecting herself or her patients by doing it without gloves.
#22 of 33 Old 03-11-2008, 09:32 AM

Thanks for the tipoff about Netflix showing it online - we'll be watching it tonight after dinner...

hippie.gifWife to blowkiss.gifJames , treehugger.gifMama to Saraenergy.gif and Robbie bouncy.gif
knit.gifread.gifgeek.gifgd.gifh20homebirth.giffamilybed2.gif  398/2013, 2/200, 4/52

#23 of 33 Old 03-11-2008, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Why would gloves matter. With proper handwashing why would gloves be necessary?
#24 of 33 Old 03-11-2008, 11:22 AM
J2

If you download it on netflix, does it stay on your computer? Or if you just do the 2 week trial then does it go off your computer after 2 weeks?
#25 of 33 Old 03-11-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzharmony View Post

Are you serious? Why do you think dr's wear gloves? If blood was ok to just wash off dr's wouldn't wear them. You can have tiny nicks on your hands, under your nails, etc and blood can get in through them. Besides all that - proper handwashing doesn't get rid of AIDS. Soap doesn't kill AIDS, unfortunately.

Why would condoms be needed? I mean that's basically what you are saying. They are about the same. This lady is using bare hands to handle other people's bodlily fluids, blood being one of them. That's dangerous.
#26 of 33 Old 03-11-2008, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by immamama View Post
Are you serious? Why do you think dr's wear gloves? If blood was ok to just wash off dr's wouldn't wear them. You can have tiny nicks on your hands, under your nails, etc and blood can get in through them. Besides all that - proper handwashing doesn't get rid of AIDS. Soap doesn't kill AIDS, unfortunately.

Why would condoms be needed? I mean that's basically what you are saying. They are about the same. This lady is using bare hands to handle other people's bodlily fluids, blood being one of them. That's dangerous.
Well, I prefer to birth at home in part because hospitals are so germ infested.
I just don't see the need to be so frantic about it. Somehow our species has survived this long w/o the germaphobic attitude that is so pervasive these days.

I can see why gloves would protect the midwife from the very small possibility of contracting blood born illness but her not wearing gloves doesn't put me in a state of horror
#27 of 33 Old 03-11-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyHopes View Post
I just saw the new documentary "The Business of Being Born"!! It is definatly a MUST SEE and is available on Netflix now.

If anyone watches it plz share your thoughts!
My copy is supposed to be sent out from Netflix today! yay! I can't wait to see it.

7th Heaven here we come! Due date early May
#28 of 33 Old 03-11-2008, 06:26 PM

I don't think me saying she needs to wear gloves when handling blood being a germaphobe. That's just common sense.
#29 of 33 Old 03-11-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Well, I prefer to birth at home in part because hospitals are so germ infested.
I just don't see the need to be so frantic about it. Somehow our species has survived this long w/o the germaphobic attitude that is so pervasive these days.

I can see why gloves would protect the midwife from the very small possibility of contracting blood born illness but her not wearing gloves doesn't put me in a state of horror
gloves are there to protect you and your baby more than the midwife! there is bacteria on the skin. it is usually normal, healthy skin flora, but there can be bad bugs too. regardless, none of those bugs belong INSIDE your body- if you tear or you need an invasive procedure during your birth, sterile gloves protect YOU from the germs on the midwife's hand.

also, newborn infection is a very real and serious thing. baby's skin should be colonized by the flora of their parent's skin. not by the flora from the skin of someone who is essentially a stranger, kwim?

squirmy baby, hope this post makes sense!

#30 of 33 Old 03-12-2008, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

I really think all this handwashing talk is silly... lets look at the bigger picture... afterall if the mother is comfortable with her not wearing gloves and she is comfortable with it, then good for them... that is such an insignificant problem compared to the major problem we are having in the US with hospitals, unneccesary intervention, etc... those are really the issues worth addressing! the little things should be left to the individuals to determine their own comfort level and precautions they feel neccessary to a healthy mother and baby!

p.s... sorry for all the spelling mistakes i am too tired and nauseous to spell check LOL

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page