When did you STOP taking progesterone? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 03-06-2008, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering ... if you took Prometrium, when did your ob or midwife have you stop?

did they take you off it gradually or just cold turkey?
#2 of 12 Old 03-06-2008, 09:30 AM

I weaned myself gradually and was finished at 13 weeks.

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#3 of 12 Old 03-06-2008, 10:20 AM

I am on Crinone. It's the progesterone gel form that comes in individual applicators. I will continue using it twice a day until I hit at least 13 weeks.
#4 of 12 Old 03-06-2008, 10:21 AM

My progesterone at nine weeks was 41 and the nurse said I could stop cold turkey. I wasn't comfortable with that, but I went from two a day (100 mg) to just one a day. I have my next OB appt at 13w3d, so my levels will be tested again and hopefully I can stop taking it then. They are the devil!

kati , wife to josh , mama to j&d (7.31.07) marion (9.18.08), feeder of nanuq and gracie lou
#5 of 12 Old 03-06-2008, 11:45 AM

With my last pregnancy, I stopped at 14 weeks. My OB said technically I could stop at 10 weeks as that is the point that the placenta has completely taken over progesterone. But he also said I could keep taking it if it would make me feel better - so I kept taking it

I am almost 12 weeks now and still taking it. I will run out next week - so I doubt my OB will refill it again for me... we'll see...

Mama to two wonderful DDs (10/06 and 09/08) and expecting a DS 1/1/11!
#6 of 12 Old 03-06-2008, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was on progesterone supplements - 100 mg twice a day. When I had my follow up ultrasound at 8w5d, my RE told me to reduce to once a day and stop after a week. I waited until 9w to reduce and did once a day till 10w.

I didn't technically have progesterone issues - it's just the protocol my fertility clinic follows with a patient on injectable medication.

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
#7 of 12 Old 03-06-2008, 03:44 PM

I miscarried w/o progesterone at 13 weeks last time, so I am sticking with it for a couple more weeks, then weaning slowly (I am 13 weeks now)
My m/w seems to think taking it into the 2nd trimester is a good thing to do.
HTH.
I am not taking the progesterone you mentioned, though. I am on a cream and a sublingual liquid.
#8 of 12 Old 03-06-2008, 11:24 PM

I am so glad that someone asked this question. I was wondering when to stop myself. I am taking two 100mg pills twice a day. (thats 400mg) a day. I just refilled Monday, and I am now 14 weeks. My Dr. prescribed my prometrium with 5 refills when I was only 4 weeks, just finding out i was preg. That would make me 7 months when I stop taking them. I know that is too long, so I will probably save the rest of the pills. I just didn't know when to stop on my own. They don't bother me. They have actually kept me from having morning sickness the entire 1st trimester. I have had mood swings on them, but I have those anyway. I heard that prometrium helps prevent lots of birth defects too. I have PCOS, and excess estrogen. This is why I was prescribed the Prometrium. Anyone else with PCOS taking prometrium, and know when to stop???
#9 of 12 Old 03-07-2008, 12:27 AM

My peri told me today that I only have to use the Crinone once a day now. I will finish up in a few weeks when it's all gone. Just got it refilled today.
#10 of 12 Old 03-07-2008, 04:25 PM

Yay! I am also glad someone asked this question. I have been taking Prometrium since about 5 wks pg after I got my labs back and my prog. was 3.9! Yeah, that's right, 3.9. My hcg levels were still going up and when I started the prometrium they continued to go up. At 8 wks we saw a heartbeat on ultrasound and everything looked good. I am 12 1/2 wks now and just my first appt. w/ a homebirth MW a couple of days ago. We heard the heartbeat again, still good. She recommended I cut down my dose by half (from 200 mg 2 times/day, to 100 mg 2 times/day) for 1 wk and then stop. I told her about the stories I have read about women having m/c after stopping at 12, 13 wks when they stop the prog. Basically she said that the babies weren't viable anyway. I am just not satisfied w/ that answer. I don't know where to ask. After my m/c in Nov. I went to an OB and at the beginning of this pg that is who I called to test my levels and she Rx me the prog. I would like to get my levels checked as I am reducing/stopping but I don't have health insurance at the moment, I am trying to get on medicaid. My husband changed jobs and we have to wait 2 more months.

I am leaning towards going off the prometrium and then using the natural prog cream for a few more wks. Any thoughts?

Wife to dh, Mommy to ds1 12/2002, ds2 9/2005, and ds3 9/2008.
#11 of 12 Old 03-07-2008, 08:40 PM

I was told to stop cold-turkey at 13 weeks or to start weaning off at 11-12 weeks, finishing at 13 weeks. I've been less diligent (religious?) about taking them at the same time EVERY DAY, but I'm still on them, 200mg/day. I plan to stop completely at 13w, which is a week from Sunday!

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#12 of 12 Old 03-07-2008, 08:46 PM

I am gonna take mine till they are all gone... the longer I take them the safer I feel yanno? It's not gonna hurt anything.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page