HELP!- need natural remidies for... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 03-06-2008, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
SEVEREEEE HEARTBURN!!! (it's so bad that if i didn't know better, i would make DH take me to the hospital for a heart attack!)

NAUSEA WITH VOMITING

ok here is what I have tried... and it's pretty hard because both conditions usually come at the same time....

for heartburn I tried hot tea with honey, milk and honey, ginger, lemon juice with salt (this BURNS going down but seems to offer some relief), and most recently 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar (DH read online)...

I have had the most relief with the lemon and salt and second probably with the vinegar although its AWEFUL to throw up, which seems to happen every time i take it.

For the nausea and vomiting... tried mint tea and ginger tea. Unfortunatly it seems once the nausea is there the only relief i get is after i throw up... so lately i try not to eat anything that i dont want to vomit back up... not a lot of options!

my midwife recommended a holistic medicine called "nux vomica"... has anyone tried it? my worry is that it will make me NOT vomit but i will still have the nausea. thats what happened when i took phenragen and i was MISERABLE!

any suggestions would really help! i am so desperate to feel better! BTW, does the heartburn go away with the nausea towards the end of the 1st trimester or is that staying with me?
#2 of 13 Old 03-06-2008, 11:07 AM

I would think that if you're getting relief with the lemon and the vinegar, you're one of the ones whose heartburn is triggered by bases and soothed by acids. So I'd steer away from dairy for sure.
#3 of 13 Old 03-06-2008, 11:12 AM

Some people swear by taking a fourth of a tsp of baking soda in a glass of water. Couldn't hurt to try?
I hope it gets better soon. I'm sure you are miserable.
#4 of 13 Old 03-06-2008, 03:49 PM

I had luck with papaya tablets for heartburn. No advise on the vomiting, sorry.
#5 of 13 Old 03-06-2008, 08:41 PM

I had a friend that swore by the papaya for heartburn and nausea. Being super paranoid I looked it up and it was not recommended during pregnancy. I still have it in a bag to take back to the store!
#6 of 13 Old 03-06-2008, 11:36 PM

I tried to hold out on taking any medicine at all for a long time. I chewed papaya enzymes all day long, which helped a bit, but not enough. After I began vomiting blood I started with Zantac, over the counter, regular 75mg dose. I have taken it twice per day for a week and it has improved my life in a HUGE way. The one time I thought I would be ok without it and didn't take the morning dose I got SO sick and it threw me off for several days again. It's really beneficial.

The other thing that helps me is Active Manuka Honey. We ordered it online from New Zealand. It's made from tea tree flowers and is very effective at killing stomach acid and helping heal the esophagus from reflux stuff. Doesn't taste great -- kind of like medicated honey, but it helps!
#7 of 13 Old 03-11-2008, 12:48 PM

[QUOTE=BabyHopes;10705829]SEVEREEEE HEARTBURN!!!

Heartburn probably won't go away... try papaya enzymes -- chewable, natural, not bad tasting and totally good for heartburn! I've also heard pineapple enzymes, but couldn't find those at the natural food store where I was.

Good luck!
#8 of 13 Old 03-11-2008, 05:08 PM

[QUOTE=BabyHopes;10705829]SEVEREEEE HEARTBURN!!! (it's so bad that if i didn't know better, i would make DH take me to the hospital for a heart attack!)

NAUSEA WITH VOMITING

ok here is what I have tried... and it's pretty hard because both conditions usually come at the same time....

for heartburn I tried hot tea with honey, milk and honey, ginger, lemon juice with salt (this BURNS going down but seems to offer some relief), and most recently 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar (DH read online)...

I have had the most relief with the lemon and salt and second probably with the vinegar although its AWEFUL to throw up, which seems to happen every time i take it.

/QUOTE]

I would water down the apple cider vinegar, if you drink it down straight it will most likely make you throw up.

7th Heaven here we come! Due date early May
#9 of 13 Old 03-12-2008, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

thanks so much for all the tips! i talked to my midwife and she also reccommended papaya and it works WONDERFULLY!!! also nice tip abt the watered down vinegar! if i ever need to try that again i will definatly dilute it
#10 of 13 Old 03-12-2008, 01:29 PM

I am not going to be your fave person because I have sever heart burn through my entire pregnancies. The HB actually brings on vomiting for me. I found a wonderful product called Zypan it is a supplement made by standard Process which you can get through Chiropractor's this seems to be the best when I remember to take it.

When I get what I call sever attacks I made a lozenge of slippery elm. I read this in Wise Woman Herbal by Susan Weed and also in my Herbal Medicine for Women book. Apparently you can buy Slippery Elm lozenges just be sure that, that is the ONLY ingredient.

To make them you combine 1/4 C slippery elm powder with enough honey to make a moist, non-sticky dough. I like to add 4 drops of vanilla and then a roll it into a long thin line (like a worm) cut them in to small pieces place them on a pan and bake @ 250 for 1 hour...cool completely and store for up to 2 weeks.

HTH

:K mama of 3 boys
#11 of 13 Old 03-12-2008, 03:10 PM

Chewable DGL (Deglycyrrhizinated Licorice) tablets are supposed to be highly effective for heartburn.

*Lots* of ginger capsules can help with nausea. Needs to be taken at the first hint of nausea - not on the verge of vomiting. I just did a workshop with Shonda Parker - I'll check my notes, but I think she said 2 capsules - and then 2 more every 15 minutes until nausea subsides or until you get a feeling of hot ginger burpiness - thats when you've had the right amount.
#12 of 13 Old 03-13-2008, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaniliaz View Post
until you get a feeling of hot ginger burpiness - thats when you've had the right amount.
I thought the ginger was helping my nausea, until I got to that point...the ginger burps made me :Puke

For nausea, the midwife in me has all sorts of suggestions. The pregnant woman with severe nausea/morning sickness in me just commiserates. And she tells the midwife in me to SHUT UP and keep your natural remedies to yourself .

For heartburn, the only one I see that hasn't been suggested is chewing almonds. Raw almonds, really chewed (almost like you'd chew gum), then eaten are reported to help. I think they did for a while with my DS2, but I eventually ended up on Pepsid...2 pills 2x a day (morning and night).

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#13 of 13 Old 03-13-2008, 12:32 PM

Not in your DDC, but I can relate.

Heartburn: Aloe Vera juice (2 TBSPs) and Slippery Elm Bark powder or lozenges. This combo really helps me and I have some WICKED heartburn/acid reflux.

Nausea/vomiting: check out this post I wrote in my first trimester. It honestly, truly works. It seems gimmicky and it's not cheap, but it has zero impact on baby, it doesn't involve swallowing anything (!) and it saved my life. http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=777267

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page