What are your dietary goals for pregnancy? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 03-07-2008, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I give my clients a Brewer Diet handout and ask everyone to work up to 80-100g of protein a day by the second trimester, whether they get it the way Brewer suggests or not (I'm not too wild about all of the allergenic milk and eggs he says to consume).

My goal is to work toward 80-100g/day, but I'm having a really hard time! I hate milk and don't eat eggs, but usually I eat meat and other dairy. Seems like all I can stand right now is potatoes and bread, though!!

I think I'm going to write down everything I eat for three out of the 7 days next week and see where I am, then see where I can sneak in the protein.

So what are your goals and how do you feel like you're doing with them?

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#2 of 11 Old 03-08-2008, 12:11 AM

My 1st pregnancy, my mw had me eat 80-100 grams of protein. This time my goal is to stay above 60 grams of protein, easy on the carbs, lots of veggies and extremely low sugar. I also try to follow the blood type diet and eat soaked grains as much as possible. I'm staying low on all sugars (including fruits) because DD and I had minor thrush throughout our whole 3 yr nursing so I want to avoid that at all costs this time. And I'm including probiotics regularly too.

Since I got past my nausea in the 1st trimester, I'm able to eat great. I always bring food with me whereever I go. I have NO sugar cravings at all, which is nice cause usually when I eat more grains, craving sugar comes with it. I calcuated my protein intake on fitday.com and it was 80 grams, so I'm happy about that. So, so far, so good

Oh and I don't like milk either...so I'm drinking goat milk occasionally and eating goat cheese.

Something I want to start making again (haven't made it in awhile) is hummus...yum!

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#3 of 11 Old 03-08-2008, 12:15 AM

I just eat when I'm hungry and try to get whatever I crave, or at least something that will satisfy the craving in the same way. This evening I had an 8oz steak and a bowl of sweat potato soup. Yum!

Speaking of eating healthy, I just saw something about Nicole Kidman at 4 mos looking amazing and working out. Something like, "proof that just because you're pregnant doesn't mean you can't keep your body looking hot!" Yeah, easy for Nicole Kidman, with her nannies and maids and personal trainer. Still, it makes me want to get out there and stay fit. It's so hard on these cold rainy days, though, esp with a toddler.

I don't drink milk either... but I drink hazelnut milk like crazy. I did throughout my last pregnancy, too. In between pregnancies it wasn't nearly as appealing, though. I honestly don't track my protein, I just know I'm eating more than usual.

I'm a proud mama of two girls! 4/30/06 Madeline, 09/25/08 Amelia
--**I'm here to share my mistakes and learn from yours**--
#4 of 11 Old 03-08-2008, 12:45 AM

My goal right now is just to eat.... something.... anything. I have hyperemesis, and so far I've lost 30 pounds. The vomiting has improved, and I am actually starting to feel hungry, but the nausea is still there pretty much non-stop. I'm pretty weak and low on energy, and no food sounds good. None.

So my goal is just to find my courage and start eating again.

Sleepy mama to Colin Theodore 8-12-08 and Trevor Arthur 7-17-12.

#5 of 11 Old 03-08-2008, 11:14 AM

Eat stuff that doesn't make me sick. Stay relatively healthy in food choices. That hasn't been a huge problem, as I'm mostly craving proteins and fruits, natural foods. The occasional chocolate isn't going to kill me.

Mom to DD#1 8/04, nursed 43 months, DD#2 8/06, nursed 21 months and DD#3 9/08, still nursing strong
#6 of 11 Old 03-08-2008, 05:51 PM

I am going to aim for 70g/protein a day, per all of the books I've read and my midwife's suggestion. I'm vegan, so I'm taking a small amount of hemp protein powder every day. I'm also gluten-free and low sugar (including fruit sugar)...so I'm not eating very much bread (when I do, it's millet bread, although I may graduate myself to sprouted wheat). I'm eating a tiny bit of dark chocolate every day.

I feel like I'm doing a fairly good job with the protein intake...but it's so hard to tell when I don't count closely. I wonder how our bodies would tell us we are taking in too little?

Vegan mama to DD (9/08), DS (9/11), and many rescued furbabies. 

#7 of 11 Old 03-09-2008, 08:43 AM

Well, I just try to eat the best I can. I've never kept a food log or counted grams of protein or anything. My general eating habits have improved so much since my first pregnancy, I figure I'm at least doing better than I did with my first!

My current goals are to consume more fruits and veggies, which will be easier once the weather warms up and we start getting our fresh CSA produce. And then, I REALLY have to stop making the fast-food pitstops. I had totally broken the fast-food habit until I got pg again. Ugh!

The only thing I do pay attention to is iron levels. I was anemic after the birth of my first, even though I did not hemorrage at all. So, I do try to make sure I get enough iron, and we monitor my levels throughout pg.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#8 of 11 Old 03-09-2008, 11:45 AM

Just a question...why the recommendation for high amounts of protein?

I'm vegetarian and I've never figured out how much protein I eat, but we're huge legumes and dairy consumers, so hopefully I'm getting enough.

My dietary goals right now are to keep up the fruit and veggies, but that has more to do with constipation then anything! Also, to stay away from high fat foods, which, in those moments of nauseousness during the day are the easiest to grab since they're already pre-prepared!
#9 of 11 Old 03-11-2008, 12:14 AM

I just try to eat whatever doesn't sound disgusting and then I hope that I don't throw it up. I ate salad tonight and I am never.ever.ever.ever eating salad again. Ever. Ever.

Mama to two wonderful DDs (10/06 and 09/08) and expecting a DS 1/1/11!
#10 of 11 Old 03-11-2008, 02:19 AM

I'm just trying to eat what doesn't make me sick. And if I crave something to go for that. Except that I've been craving straight junk food for weeks now. Macaroni and cheese anyone??

Last pregnancy I was vegetarian and wasn't concerned at all with the amount of protein I was getting. But I LOVE dairy and do really well on it so I was drinking lots of milk and eating yogurt almost every day. Typically for lunch I'd have a pita/ww wrap w/ hummus and veggies, 1/2c applesauce & 1/2 cup nonfat yogurt with some fruit (usually frozen organic but Target has cheap frozen blueberries & raspberries not organic but at like $2/bag I'll live).
#11 of 11 Old 03-11-2008, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommytoHHH View Post
I ate salad tonight and I am never.ever.ever.ever eating salad again. Ever. Ever.
LOL I second that motion. I thought I was going to hurl after I ate a salad last week. I love raw veggies - I can't stand most cooked veggies. But it seems that it's turned backwards, as now I can't stand most raw veggies and love steamed ones. But as my m/w says - at least you're still eating veggies...

hippie.gifWife to blowkiss.gifJames , treehugger.gifMama to Saraenergy.gif and Robbie bouncy.gif
knit.gifread.gifgeek.gifgd.gifh20homebirth.giffamilybed2.gif  398/2013, 2/200, 4/52

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page