Help me sleep - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-09-2008, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
For the past few weeks, I wake up between 3:30-4:30 (usually to pee) and can't get back to sleep. Finally around 6:30-7:00, I can fall back asleep - just in time for ds to wake up at 7:30-8. It's really starting to take a toll on me. I need more sleep!! I've tried lying down while ds naps in the afternoon, but I can't seem to sleep. I just lie there with my eyes closed, hoping it will happen. Really, I'd like to be able to go back to sleep after peeing in the wee hours.

Any advice/tips?

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2008, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't have any advice, because I haven't solved the problem yet, but I definitely sympathize with you! If I wake up any time after 3:30 or so, I'm awake for at least an hour or two. Of course, I can always get back to sleep about 30 minutes before I have to get up and go to work.

I bought a pregnancy pillow that has helped a little, because I can get comfortable faster and sleep longer stretches (so I'm waking up less), but the issue hasn't gone away altogether. Maybe something like that would be helpful for you, though...?

Good luck. I know how frustrating it can be.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:02 PM

I have to get up constantly to go pee during the night too but thankfully have NO problem going back to sleep. I could sleep all day and night if my kids would allow it. LOL! I am seriously tired NONSTOP!

Have you thought about drinking some chamomile tea before bed or something?

Hope you get it worked out! I have been through some major insomnia in my life and I hated it!!
Old 03-09-2008, 12:40 PM

I'm up at night peeing too, usually around that 3:30 mark. I keep my eyes closed the whole time, turn on no lights and go right back into bed.

In the past I've had issues with sleeping, and know that once its a problem its really hard to get past it, because you're now thinking about it! And I totally sympathize with the daytime sleeping thing. It hasn't been until this pregnancy that I have figured out the meaning of the word nap.

Some suggestions...try going to sleep at a different time..earlier or later and see if that helps. Don't drink any liquids past a certain time of night and pee two or three times before going to bed to make sure your bladder is empty. If you drink any caffeine try taking it out of your diet. Don't flush the toilet. Try some sort of meditation/visualization when you do go back to bed and try not to think of your ds waking up at all...stress is no good. Turn off your brain and do not think of anything you need to do the next day. Most of all..try not to think about the lack of sleep at all!

Hopefully this helps!
Old 03-09-2008, 04:30 PM

When I had this problem I put a very dim nightlight in the bathroom so I could see enough to not hurt myself/trip on something, but not enough to completely wake me up. HTH

7th Heaven here we come! Due date early May
Old 03-09-2008, 09:37 PM

I take a liquid calcium/magnesium just before bed...I sleep the whole night now. It's the magnesium that really helps with sleep.

Tina - mama to DD1 10.75yrs, DD2 6yrs, DD3 2.5 yrs & baby due in June 2015 and wifey to DH.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:40 PM

Yes magnesium is supposed to be great for sleep. I have the tail end of a cold and terrible heartburn so I'm awake right now when I should be asleep. The all night weeing has started for me too and it's only going to get worse.

*oops wrong due date club, haha time for bed*

Hi and bye.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for all the suggestions. I've been sicker than a dog for two days, so sleeping hasn't been a problem. I look forward to trying some of your ideas, though!

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

User Tag List