sibling prep books - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-09-2008, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone have suggestions on books to buy a big brother (or sister) to be? Especially an AP/ breastfeeding friendly one?

DS is only lukewarm on the thought of having a sibling and although he weaned about 6 months ago, he does *not* want to share mommy's nursies. He tells me all the time they are his and not for baby Rosie.
So I'd really like to find some books that gently break him the news that babies need nursies.

I did pick up one of the Dr Sears kids books- A Baby on the Way or something like that. Very cute- but for an older child. DS isn't quite 3 yet so this is little more than he can sit through. I need something along the lines of a board book.

Thanks!!

modern-mama to DS (5.16.05) and DD (9.11.08) and one more (GIRL!) coming in December
#2 of 5 Old 03-09-2008, 07:37 PM

We have a cute board book called "And After That..." It includes a picture of a nursing mom, and talks about how first baby will eat, and then toddler will have a snack with mommy, etc.

My ds1 was 19 months old when I got pg with ds2, and he still liked the Baby On the Way book. Ds2 doesn't sit through books as well, but I think it's still good to go through that book with him and show the pictures, and just kind of summarize what's happening instead of reading everything on the page.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#3 of 5 Old 03-09-2008, 08:42 PM

We have My New Baby board book. http://www.amazon.com/My-New-Baby/dp/0859539741

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#4 of 5 Old 03-09-2008, 09:06 PM

I found that the birth movies seemed to hit home a bit more with my guys. Not so much in the sense of nursing and sharing, but the idea of a baby coming into the world.
#5 of 5 Old 03-09-2008, 09:38 PM

I think I ordered 3 'new baby sibling books' off Amazon and two out of 3 are not BF or AP. I did get one called 'On Mother's Lap' that's not necessarily about a new baby but about sharing and that's a really nice one. My DS is 21 months old and seems to get it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page