Maternity clothes recommendations? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-09-2008, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok...believe it or not, this is my third pregnancy and I've never bought a single piece of maternity wear..until today. I've borrowed, but now that I'm a bit older, most of my friends have gotten rid of their clothes. So off I was shopping at the thrift stores today, trying to figure out what I'll want to wear. Particularly since I'll be big in the summer, I was thinking that maybe I'll prefer dresses. But there was NOTHING in the way of dresses in the maternity section of the thrift stores, just jean shorts, which are not super appealing to me. So, I was wondering what all you mamas were planning on wearing during the hot months when you're big?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2008, 11:16 PM

I like skirts with drawstrings and a LOT of leeway, or with a smocked or wide waistband. The wide waistband is a lot more comfortable on your belly than a thin piece of elastic. You don't necessarily have to look for "maternity" to find this. I found a great skirt at American Apparel like this a few years back. I think it cost me $28 and I continued to wear it when I got small again, since the waistband had that much stretch to it. It sat below my belly when I was pregnant, quite comfortably. For the top I wore tunics and stretchy tunic-length T-shirts. Layered a lot since I was pregnant winter-spring, so this time I have to buy more clothes too, for some more hot weather options, less layering. There are some jersey-knit empire waist or baby-doll (but longer) style dresses in mainstream stores right now, which fit over a belly nicely even though they are not maternity. Just make sure it's long enough!

Unfortunately those dresses are hard to find in thrift stores because they're in fashion right now.

I'm a proud mama of two girls! 4/30/06 Madeline, 09/25/08 Amelia
--**I'm here to share my mistakes and learn from yours**--
Old 03-11-2008, 02:29 PM

I had to buy an entire maternity wardrobe this time around because all the clothes I had accumulated from my other 4 pregnancies got donated accidentally when we moved into our home 1 year ago. I think I'm pretty much set now except I might splurge and buy a couple cute dresses for summer. I really like wearing dresses because you just put on 1 piece and your done. Skirts are cute too, but then you have to have a top to go with it, and I love the simplicity of dresses. With that said, I have no dresses yet. But I did buy 4-5 different shorts, either denim or tan khaki, 3 pairs of capri pants, denim and khaki, about 6 tops, mixed with stretchy cotton tanks, cotton t's, and some other cotton t's with various emellishments, like beads, embroidered flowers, etc., and 1 pair of denim jeans.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Dumb question: do you all buy maternity clothes at local stores or online? Can you give suggestions for both?

In June of last year I decided that I would not buy any new clothes until the end of the year. It was a quite a challenge, I'm sad to say! Anyway, I did it for ethical and environmental reasons - I don't want to buy clothes made in China, Thailand, etc. because of workers' rights issues and severe environmental impacts. I've still not bought anything new, and now I'm worried that I won't find enough ethically-made or thrift store maternity clothes. I've love any suggestions you have re clothes in that realm!

Thanks in advance,
Lori

Vegan mama to DD (9/08), DS (9/11), and many rescued furbabies. 

Old 03-11-2008, 04:34 PM

Summer pregnancies are so much easier than winter ones, that's for sure. The least amount of clothing possible is the route I take.

Maternity shorts or capris and maternity t-shirts that are thin!! I live in Texas, summers here are hot as heck!
Old 03-11-2008, 05:03 PM

I just bought some really cute tops and shorts in Target, I am sure they are made in sweatshops somewhere but I have to choose my battles right now. They have a Liz Lange maternity line. They had some adorable dresses and tops that were frilly and young looking, but I'm too old, I would look silly in those.

If you are trying to avoid things made in sweatshops than I would sew my own or try hitting more thrift stores.

Right now I am living in yoga pants and long sleeve t-shirts (my regular clothes, that still fit me), I am trying to hide my pregnancy for a bit longer but it is getting harder. I am 14 weeks and 3 days now.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:31 PM

i get my maternity clothes from second hand stores primarily (i love to shop--sometimes to find good stuff, you have to keep your eye out and ask them when new stock is coming in and when they're having sales. also, get your mom involved if she's a big thrifter--works for me!) but also friends, old navy, and wal-mart (here and there--their sizes are weird), but i will go anywhere i know has maternity stuff and search for sales. yoga pants are great. you can buy them in different sizes and they'll fit all the way through. for summer, i bought some comfy cotton shorts for at home but otherwise, i think with my 1st pregnancy, i wore rolled up jeans with light tops. i'm not a big fan of shorts.

wife to wonderful dh_malesling.GIF mama of three-DS1 born December 30, 2005 and DS2 born September 27, 2008 and one lovely little girl born September 7, 2011jumpers.gif

Old 03-11-2008, 05:50 PM

oh! and i forgot! i have tons of empire waist tops that will work. *thumbs up to that trend*

wife to wonderful dh_malesling.GIF mama of three-DS1 born December 30, 2005 and DS2 born September 27, 2008 and one lovely little girl born September 7, 2011jumpers.gif

Old 03-11-2008, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winginit View Post
Ok...believe it or not, this is my third pregnancy and I've never bought a single piece of maternity wear..until today. I've borrowed, but now that I'm a bit older, most of my friends have gotten rid of their clothes. So off I was shopping at the thrift stores today, trying to figure out what I'll want to wear. Particularly since I'll be big in the summer, I was thinking that maybe I'll prefer dresses. But there was NOTHING in the way of dresses in the maternity section of the thrift stores, just jean shorts, which are not super appealing to me. So, I was wondering what all you mamas were planning on wearing during the hot months when you're big?
I found great deals at JCPenney outlet if you have one of those.. or their online clearance can have some great deals too. Oh and they weren't frilly or froo froo just sensible and comfortable basic and nice.

7th Heaven here we come! Due date early May
Old 03-12-2008, 12:38 AM

I like Old Navy Maternity clearance stuff. I also tend to do well at thrift shops or consignment stores. Many childrens clothing consignment shop have maternity wear. Also make sure to check out the regular dresses section of thrift shops. I have found some great hippy style tank dresses with empire waists that I love during pregnant summers.

AP crunchy homeschooling mama to Henning (1/4/03), Connor (7/1/05) and Elijah (9/21/08) Forever holding my 3 lost little ones in my heart.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:44 AM

i am having this trauma too. i'm in that crappy in between time where i have just popped out of my normal clothes but not yet big enough for proper maternity. plus i dont have any left overs as we thought we were done and i got rid of it all. so i am lounging about in jogging bottoms and looking like a complete slob. waa.

might have to bite the bullet and do some online shopping, but i feel at 14+5 wks its a bit early? i dunno.

just realised that i am rambling on about my prob and not helping the orginal question. i think i shall buy 2 x jeans, one cropped one long, some multipack tops, and maybe a few skirts. i dont live in the US tho so i cant recommend shops, but i do empathise!
Old 03-12-2008, 10:54 AM

I am picky about my clothing- call me a clothes snob, but i hate being uncomfortable. I have always been a "between" sizes person- not really an 8, but not really a 10 either. I found a bunch of stuff at Gap maternity and Mimi- a few things at Target and not much at all at Old Navy- but I always have had problems fitting into clothing from Old Navy.
I also work full time, so i need "nicer" work clothes, and some not so dressy clothing. I bought nothing for my first pregnancy 9 years ago, so this time I have bought a few things so far. I am trying to wait until the sales to buy most of my clothes- the other day i did find some stuff at the Gap that was on sale, and then an add'l 25% off the sale price- so I got some shirts and pants and did not spend that much.

Babystyle has some nicer things as well- but they tend to be pricey.
I do not buy much online unless i am sure of my size- thankfully all the above mentioned stores are within 20 minutes of my house, and I do not have to drive that far to find stuff.

Shane mama to three boys!! Wife to an amazing man.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:11 PM

I'm going to be looking soon at maternity wear at Decent Exposures, some website I found in the back of Mothering. They have clothing for maternity plus size women and have all sorts of sizes from skinny to fluffy. I'm planning on getting some nursing tank tops, some work pants, and a few shirts. Other than that, my yoga pants are still fitting well, thank goodness.

hippie.gifWife to blowkiss.gifJames , treehugger.gifMama to Saraenergy.gif and Robbie bouncy.gif
knit.gifread.gifgeek.gifgd.gifh20homebirth.giffamilybed2.gif  398/2013, 2/200, 4/52

Old 03-12-2008, 02:04 PM

Ds#2 was born at the end of August and though we aren't as hot in WI as the south it gets to 98 degrees with about 98% humidity for about 3 weeks at the end of August. I don't have AC so I think the best investment is a swim suit I will be beaching myself at the pool. Other things I am getting is several dresses found 2 @ the thrift store in empire waist that were just a size up and cotton so they will stretch (not maternity) Things I recommend avoid as much polyester as possible. This seemed to be the main thing available during my last pg but this stuff will just make you sweat more.

I think the best thing of a summer pregnancy slip on shoes LOL I loved not having to bend to put on shoes.

:K mama of 3 boys
Old 03-12-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninnifer View Post
i am having this trauma too. i'm in that crappy in between time where i have just popped out of my normal clothes but not yet big enough for proper maternity.
might have to bite the bullet and do some online shopping, but i feel at 14+5 wks its a bit early? i dunno.
oh, just realized i have this issue too. pants!!! i have one pair of jeans that fit still and they don't really...fit, that is. and maternity wear would be silly at this point!! what to do in early pregnancy? tops, i can do. empire waist. small maternity. got them. pants?! i don't want to wear yoga pants every day.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit19 View Post
I think the best thing of a summer pregnancy slip on shoes LOL I loved not having to bend to put on shoes.
so true! my little guy was born in winter so there was a stretch of time my DH had to do up my shoes for me!

Old 03-12-2008, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngsoul View Post
Dumb question: do you all buy maternity clothes at local stores or online? Can you give suggestions for both?

In June of last year I decided that I would not buy any new clothes until the end of the year. It was a quite a challenge, I'm sad to say! Anyway, I did it for ethical and environmental reasons - I don't want to buy clothes made in China, Thailand, etc. because of workers' rights issues and severe environmental impacts. I've still not bought anything new, and now I'm worried that I won't find enough ethically-made or thrift store maternity clothes. I've love any suggestions you have re clothes in that realm!

Thanks in advance,
Lori
Most of the clothes that I've bought from Motherhood Maternity are made in the U.S. And they are not more expensive then the clothes made in other countries. And if you do buy clothes in thrift stores, because they have been recycled now, I would say that takes care of the environmental impact, and also the ethical one. Since you are choosing to buy a piece of clothing that has already been made by someone, you are in a way, opposing the bad working conditions, kwim?
Old 03-13-2008, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winginit View Post
Me too, my third pregnancy, but I've only ever bought one pair of pants...this time I'm splurging on ebay for shorts and tanks.

Kate: fumbling through the best years with W, L, F & V...newest arrival coming Jan '11
Old 03-13-2008, 05:56 AM

i did some online ordering for clothes yeaterday after reading this thread! LOL

i ordered some trousers in a size below my normal size in the hope they might fit me earlier....
Old 03-14-2008, 12:33 AM

they never fit right. i have quite a bit of junk in the trunk, and i have bougth several different styles of pants and they all fall down your ass, you look like a plumber (my dad's one, i can say this). i say either get lucky at consignment stores and find expensive second hand pants or just fork over the money for a couple good fitting though expensive pants. they will be worth it. i remember a woman i worked with always said i looked like her teenage daughter hiking my pants up all the time.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:38 PM

I don't really like th clothes at Motherhood either. They just don't seem to fit me well. Although the line they sell through Kohls is much nicer.

I like Gap Maternity, a few pieces from Old Navy, and Forever 21 sells lots of empire waist tops that I think will fit throughout. I try and shop sales and clearance as well.

Me+DH (2006)
DS (2005)
DD (2008)
Old 03-14-2008, 02:55 PM

I refuse to shop at Motherhood or their related shops since they take your info and give it to formula companies. Their return policies suck, too.

I WOH so I need nicer clothes, too. I have been buying some things at Babystyle, some at Gap, and some at Ann Taylor Loft. And my Target maternity section usually sucks, but once in awhile I find something cute there too. They do have good bras, too.

modern-mama to DS (5.16.05) and DD (9.11.08) and one more (GIRL!) coming in December
Old 03-14-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moderngal View Post
I refuse to shop at Motherhood or their related shops since they take your info and give it to formula companies. Their return policies suck, too.
That's one of the things I dislike about Motherhood as well, but buying their stuff at Kohls, you don't deal with any of it. They have their own store policies.

Me+DH (2006)
DS (2005)
DD (2008)
Old 03-14-2008, 03:15 PM
CEG

They also sell Motherhood/Mimi stuff at Macy's without the ridiculous return policy- and it's the same price it is in their stores. I discovered that trick last week.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:25 PM

I ordered this shirt http://www.speesees.com/store/produc...cat=277&page=1 yesterday. I think it is so cute and will work postpartum as well.

I really liked the GAP maternity built-in bra tank tops last pregnancy. I bought three and wore them all the time. Gap has good quality stuff. I do like some of the things at Old Navy and Motherhood but they are not as good quality as GAP.

The above shirt is organic cotton and NOT made in a sweat shop.

Joyful mama of 3.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontgirl View Post
I ordered this shirt http://www.speesees.com/store/produc...cat=277&page=1 yesterday. I think it is so cute and will work postpartum as well.
That is so cute, but too expensive for me! Is it just me, or does anyone have a hard time shelling out lots of money for clothes? I was just thinking how much money can I justify spending for clothing for 5 months of my life? I've already spent over a $100 at the thrift shops, and that seems like too much!
Old 03-16-2008, 12:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just have a hard time finding maternity clothing that will fit. : I'm plus-sized, even without a baby in my belly!

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!
Old 03-16-2008, 08:50 PM

I am definitely having the same problems. Are overalls coming back, because I could use a pair of those right now. Right now I am wearing my old jeans, just with a major muffin top, and a cute maternity shirt I got from Kohl's. I really don't like this in between stage.

Amy: Mom to 8, homeschooler, runner, Baby #9 due April 2013

User Tag List