A parting gift from my father - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 03-11-2008, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dad passed away last month, due to a rare type of Parkinsons. We had gone two weeks before to the nursing home to suprise him with the news that I was pregnant. However, we found out that Mom had accidentally leaked the suprise and that he already knew. To "get her back" we told my dad the real names that we had chosen for the baby (we're giving everyone else the fake name of Indigo Sunshine). Although Mom tried over the next few weeks to get him to tell her the names, he took the secret to the grave
They also talked about something else. Dad told Mom that if he died before the baby was born, that he wanted some of his life insurance money to pay for our m/w and birth center. Mom told us last night about their conversation and informed us that all our costs for this birth will be taken care of with his insurance money.

I also have a second motive for telling you all this story. Get life insurance. Do it for your kids, or for your partner, or for anyone else in your life that will have expenses after you die. This was an amazing gift my dad gave us, one that will really help us start off right with a new baby. Don't procrastinate - it's too important.

Thank you, Dad. We miss you.

hippie.gifWife to blowkiss.gifJames , treehugger.gifMama to Saraenergy.gif and Robbie bouncy.gif
knit.gifread.gifgeek.gifgd.gifh20homebirth.giffamilybed2.gif  398/2013, 2/200, 4/52

#2 of 13 Old 03-11-2008, 10:19 AM
SMR

I'm so sorry for your loss..
How awesome that your dad did that for you guys.. what a great parting gift!

Shannon Shaun - DH (and boyfriend since I was 16). my sweet Gwen 1/1/06 missing Dresden born sleeping 39 weeks 9/9/08 :, Delaney is scheduled to arrive 8/31/09 Odin&Loki :
#3 of 13 Old 03-11-2008, 10:57 AM

I am so sorry for your loss.
But what a great gift for you and your child.

modern-mama to DS (5.16.05) and DD (9.11.08) and one more (GIRL!) coming in December
#4 of 13 Old 03-11-2008, 01:22 PM

I'm sorry about your father, Trianna. My father died, wow, six years ago come March 23, but it still feels like he just died recently. His life insurance is what made our down payment possible. I joke that instead of a father, I have a house. Bad trade, eh?

My mom died almost two years ago, when I was pregnant with Cale and Dillon. I was in the hospital for preterm labor when she went into hospice and couldn't go home to see her. I still regret it in my heart, like I should have gone against my doctor's recommendation, left the hospital, and flown home. But my brain knows I'd regret to 25 week premies even more.

Anyway, pregnancy is a crappy, crappy time to lose a parent. I'm very sorry. ((Hugs.))

* Jaime
#5 of 13 Old 03-11-2008, 01:27 PM

That is a beautiful story. I'm very sorry for your loss.
#6 of 13 Old 03-11-2008, 01:52 PM

Aww, you guys sound like a close family. Some people's parents, yk, they find out you're going to a birth center with a mw and they're like "Oh hell no, you need a real doctor." But your dad was on board, that's so cool. And your mom followed through, that's awesome. What an awesome family! Sorry for your loss, he sounds like the greatest dad ever.

Single mom of 2 boys
#7 of 13 Old 03-11-2008, 02:13 PM

what a wonderful gift from your dad.

IKWM about life ins. Dh and I have very larger policys so that one or the other is taken care of or our children will be very well taken care of heaven forbid they ever have to use it though.

:K mama of 3 boys
#8 of 13 Old 03-11-2008, 03:34 PM

That is wonderful. May you daddy rest in peace. I am so sorry for your loss.
#9 of 13 Old 03-11-2008, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am in tears! What a wonderful dad! I am so sorry for your loss. What an amazing gift to celebrate your childs birth.
#10 of 13 Old 03-11-2008, 04:42 PM

That's such a tragic loss and such a heartfelt parting gift! We recently got life insurance and were surprised by the low cost. We got it for DD as well and she has the option of getting the money back when she turns 18.

I'm a proud mama of two girls! 4/30/06 Madeline, 09/25/08 Amelia
--**I'm here to share my mistakes and learn from yours**--
#11 of 13 Old 03-11-2008, 06:34 PM

It sounds like your father was a great one. I'm soo sorry for your loss, but at the same time very happy for you that you will be able to have the birth you want. It will be wonderful to be able to link the birth of your child with a great gift from your father, you will have that to remember for the rest of your life... how beautiful! Your story has moved me to tears.

Elizabeth wife to Matt , mom to Logan (2/21/01) , and little man Desmond (9/23/08)

Mourning the loss of her father: Robert Edward Dillon 5/31/52 - 01/03/2011

#12 of 13 Old 03-11-2008, 07:36 PM

I am so sorry for your loss. It sounds like you had a wonderful dad who loved you very much. s
#13 of 13 Old 03-11-2008, 09:43 PM

I'm a bit teary reading your story! What a selfless thing for your dad to be thinking about in his final weeks. It sounds like he loved you very much and was working very hard to have an impact on little "Indigo Sunshine" even if he couldn't be there in person. Your LO has a heckuva guardian angel!

Sleepy mama to Colin Theodore 8-12-08 and Trevor Arthur 7-17-12.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page