Mothering Forum banner

if this is your 2nd baby...

659 views 21 replies 21 participants last post by  Mrs Dimples 
#1 ·
do you plan on getting a double stroller? How old is your first DC?
My DC is 22 months and she'll be 2 years 3 months when baby arrives...DH thinks we do NOT need a double- but I really would like one b/c I like to take walks in the morning and walk around the mall when it is too cold to go out (just to get out of the house) Do you think that slinging baby and using the single stroller for a while will work? I'd hate to make DD walk so far later when baby is too big to be in the sling for a long walk...I am torn, we don't really have a ton of money to spend this time around- but I just think that the double would make things a lot easier- but would I really USE it? Well, I'm rambling- but I'd love to hear your plans

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello!
My dude will be about 22 mos when babe is born so I plan on just slingin little one till my big guy is ready to ride a little trike or something like that along. Plus when my guy was tiny he HATED the stroller anyways, and only around 6 or 9 months was when he really started to like it. I sort of have emotional issues with double strollers, though....they are of the same ilk as mini vans in that I just absolutely refuse to buy one!!

#3 ·
Nope. DS will be 3y 4mo when #2 arrives. My plan is to sling #2 and use a stroller for DS if needed. I could see getting one of those sit-n-stand strollers, but I'm hoping not to need one at all.

#5 ·
I didn't even want to put DD in a stroller before she was around 18 months, when she was suddenly fascinated by them and we happened to have received one so it was sitting around. DD will be 28 mos at the end of September when I'm due. I'm counting on slinging baby and strolling DD for at least the first year... if I find I want a double stroller at that point, then I'll likely look on craigslist for one. We have a bike trailer that can be used as a stroller that I can always use in a pinch if I want to haul kids + cargo, as well.

#6 ·
I am on my third kid. When my second was born my first was 2y9m. I did not buy a double stroller. Neither of my kids have ever really liked to sit in a stroller so most of the time dd1 walked and dd2 was carried. I am not planning a stroller for this time around either dd2 will be 2y10m... but I guess you really need to think about what would work best for you and your family.

#7 ·
I plan to sling the new baby and have ds (who will be a couple months shy of 2) in his stroller. If once baby gets bigger and doesn't like to be worn, then we'll address the stroller issue, and possible get a double. I'd like a BOB dualie (love my single!) so I can jog once baby is big enough, but.. it's an expensive stroller!

#8 ·
Well we don't drive and either walk or take public transportation everywhere so not having a double stroller isn't really a viable option for us. DD will be 2.5 when the baby arrives and though she'd probably be okay to walk alongside for short trips or I could wear the baby in a sling while pushing her, we have to do all of our shopping on foot and carry it back so either holding four bags of shopping plus wearing the baby plus pushing a 30lb toddler up a hill or holding the shopping plus DD's hand while wearing or pushing the baby just wouldn't be feasible for me. I plan to get the Phil and Ted's E3 second hand so hopefully won't have to spend too much on it.

#9 ·
I'd consider a double stroller if we had somewhere to put it when not in use, as we live in a small apartment and not on the ground floor, with stairs only. Actually, we do have one (bought to use with my baby #1 and her similarly aged cousin), but it's in storage for that exact reason! Plus it doesn't really fit in the car and is hard to fold up. We keep a small single stroller and use it somewhat regularly. I loved carrying baby #1 in a carrier or sling or backpack, and did so often til she was 2 years old and became a bit too hard for my back, so I'd aim to do that with #2 again and use stroller with #1 as needed. I also get really annoyed with bulky strollers not fitting in shop aisles, etc., so I'd probably avoid using a double one.

But who knows? I might completely change my mind and bust out the double stroller. I'll keep you posted....

#10 ·
I got a double stroller when my second was born 25 months after my first -- but only because my THIRD was also born at the same time.
I often ware one child, and strollered the other two. I also often walk with my toddler while strollering the babies if I didn't feel like carrying anyone. I sometimes used to wear both babies, but didn't find that as comfortable as I thought I would.

In general, I wouldn't recommend a double stroller. I think they're a big pain. They don't fold up well, they're big, they're expensive, and I've found the one we have (while expensive) isn't that sturdy. I prefer going with the wear one/umbrella stroller one/walk with one strategy.

I'm hoping I'll be able to get all three boys walking by the time this baby is born, but I think I'll need at least the umbrella stroller for a while. That way there will only be one little walking child to make sure stays close to me and one big walking child who I know will stay near.

* Jaime

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by winginit View Post
Wow Azryel...I just realised how full your hands are! You go girl!!
Yeah, Erica, I've got a lot of little boys running around! Luckily they're pretty cute, or I'd have thrown them all out the window a long time ago. At least I'm pregnant with just one this time! There's a mom here with a similar set up to mine, but also one older child, and she is pregnant with twins for a second time. I can't even imagine. * Jaime

#13 ·
I don't go to the mall so that is out in terms of experience.

I only have a double jog stroller that I use everyday but I do not take strollers to the shopping stores unless I am going right in town and walking to that store. We walk almost everywhere in town. I walk my older child to school every day. Yes every day rain, snow, ice freezing weather we walk so I need big tires and a comfy ride for #2 who will be 3 just a week when #3 comes. I will however carry baby in a wrap for the first few months.

I don't even use an infant seat that you can carry because it is just another piece of gear I don't want to mess around with so if you can get away with one stroller do it! Maybe check craigslist for a sit and stand or one of those peg perego's with the stand bar on it. Maybe one of those units you can attach to your stroller that your older child could stand on.

#15 ·
My boys are 2 years 4 months apart, and I've never needed a double stroller. I always just wore the baby. Ds1 would walk or ride. He's pretty good about staying with us. By the time ds2 was getting a little too heavy to wear all the time, ds1 was walking along just fine.

If you find a good deal on a used one, I might grab it, but I wouldn't buy one new.

#17 ·
We have a really nice BOB stroller and I wouldn't want to trade it for a double stroller. We only got the BOB when DS was already over 15 months old until then we only used the Ergo Carrier, etc.
DS will be 28 months old when DC2 is born and I think baby carrier for baby and single stroller for toddler will work great.

#19 ·
DD will be about 22/23 months when this baby is born and I'm just planning on wearing the baby and using our stroller with DD when necessary (at the mall, out for my long exercise walk). I wore DD for everything for the first 10 months or so, but once she started walking she really didn't want to be worn much anymore

#20 ·
We are going with the good old Moby/umbrella stroller combo for as long as we can. DD is 16 months now and will be about 22 months when baby2 comes. For now she hates her stroller unless she's pushing it and prefers not to be worn, so she walks or gets carried everywhere.

Of course you could always just get a leash...

#21 ·
This is my 4th, but my 3rd is 2.5 (will be just about 3 when baby is born) and I'm still debating it. I decided to wait until after he is born to decide for sure and then if I do need one, I can try them out in the store with the 2 of them-since there is such a weight difference it'll be nice to see how it stears.

However, my first 2 were much closer together and I definately needed a double. They were 2.5 years apart. Basically if you'll be doing ANYTHING without hubby or some other adult, you will most likely want a double. Yes, I babywear, but my back gets tired after a long outing and sometimes I feel like its good for the babe to get to sit alone and look around too. If they are happy, it doesnt bother me.

I also got one for my 2nd and 3rd, although they were almost 3 years apart too. I waited until after she was born to pick one out. I have a feeling I'll get one for this baby too-3 year olds are just still very...toddlerish. They stay with you better but they still run off, hide, just be little bugger kids

For short trips however, I'd just use the single for the older one and wear the baby. Easier to manuever.

#22 ·
Just thought I'd throw out my experience...

I just bought a double stroller last week, finally.
My son is 4.5, the baby is 2, and then expecting the new one in September. The kids will all be exactly 2.5 years apart. I bought a Mountain Buggy Urban Double off craigslist for a smokin' deal, which is an all-terrain stroller that is narrow enough to fit through any door.

I wouldn't think just "any" double stroller would be worth it. The one I bought can really "do it all" for me, and it has a 120 pound weight limit so my older boy can ride too. A smaller, flimsier double with little plastic wheels would be useless for walks or the zoo or anything but the mall, basically, and mine steers so well that I actually find it easier to maneuver than a typical single.

I am a babywearer, so my kids don't go in the stroller typically until they're much older (one year or so) and I did not need a double before because my son was exceptionally mature and obedient when his sister was born and was very good to walk by me, didn't need to hold a hand or anything. My daughter is *not* like that, and since she requires containment and will not always consent to be carried
: into the stroller she goes. Of course, when she's in the stroller then my son wants to be too, so it was easier to wrangle a double stroller then listen to them argue about who gets to ride in the stroller every time we leave the house!

When the new babe is born, I figure he/she will ride in the wrap for a few months and then my son will be bumped from the stroller. I'm thinking of having some kind of ceremony when he turns 5 or something...
O=He's just a cuddly little guy - he still loves to be worn too, although that's hard when I'm pregnant.

Anyway, the short version is, it really depends on your lifestyle and your kids' personalities. I have really liked having my double stroller since I got it, although I resisted for a long, long time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.