weight gain -- who keeps track? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 46 Old 04-18-2008, 11:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I started out ~120, went down to 116 with the vomiting, and I weighed myself on a digital scale today, and it said 128.
With DS, I was 118 pre-pg and was 125 by my first appointment (7/8 weeks)
So I am def. gaining less this time, but thats ok, because I gained 75 lbs last time, and I am hoping to stay under 50 this time.
#32 of 46 Old 04-19-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sssarah View Post
I actually weigh myself twice a day and record the high and the low. I'm planning to make a little graph at the end, but this is my first so I don't have anything to compare it to yet. I figure that if I eat healthy food when I'm hungry, then I'll be right on track, and the record-keeping is more out of curiousity than anything else. Maybe it's because I subconsciously miss being in the lab -hah!
Haha, Sarah, good to know I'm not to only strange one to do this!
#33 of 46 Old 04-19-2008, 08:11 PM

I use fertility friend's pregnancy tracker and record my weight weekly (although I weight myself out of habit daily.) Then they graph it for me

Let's see if I can share it...

http://preg.fertilityfriend.com/preg...png?1208646754

kati , wife to josh , mama to j&d (7.31.07) marion (9.18.08), feeder of nanuq and gracie lou
#34 of 46 Old 04-19-2008, 08:27 PM

I keep track, and I'm trying to not get too obsessed with my weight. I'm 16 weeks and have gained about 6-7 lbs so far. I never lost anything during the 1st trimester like a lot of you have, I gained 5 lbs in the first 13 weeks. I wasn't under or overweight - I was just in a healthy weight range. Hopefully I don't put on more than 30 lbs, I think any more than that and I'll have trouble getting it off. We shall see!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#35 of 46 Old 04-19-2008, 11:50 PM

I'm at 20wks and have gained 8lbs. My ob is a little worried that I'm not gaining weight because all 8lbs were teh first 2 months. I am about 60lbs over whre I want to be, so I'm being careful with what I eat, but not how much weight I'm gaining.

Thea, wife to Daniel Homeschooling Momma to 4 beautiful, engergetic children.
#36 of 46 Old 04-19-2008, 11:57 PM

I'm not pregnant, but have gained about 20 lbs. in two years and very scarred.
I'm not really sure how this happened??? I might have to stop eating altogether.
#37 of 46 Old 04-21-2008, 05:35 PM

They tell me at the MW's office even if I don't want to know. *laughs* I'm up 4lbs.
#38 of 46 Old 04-21-2008, 11:33 PM

I have a scale at home, but I haven't stepped on it in a few weeks because it was so depressing. I have had the worst pregnancy of anyone I know (PICC line for fluids, anti-nausea drugs they usually give to chemo patients). I basically didn't even eat the first trimester. At my lowest point I lost 22 lbs. of my pre-pregnancy body weight. At my last appointment I had gained 6lbs back. However, I totally have a belly. I can feel the top of my uterus and it is right where it should be according to my week by week book. My OB says the baby is totally healthy and doing just fine.

I've been able to eat normally the last couple weeks, but I'm still throwing up a couple times a week. Today was a particularly bad day in that I threw up twice this afternoon.

The condition I have is hyperemesis gravidarum. There is a message board for HG that I'm on. Some of these women just amaze me. I thought I was really bad, but they've been through worse. Some have done it multiple times too and delivered healthy normal babies each time.

So all that to say that your baby will pull from your reserves and you probably don't have anything to worry about. Try to get in what you can and just make it through.

Oh and I have a tip on the vitamins thing. I can't stomach prenatals, so instead I take children's gummi vitamins. I just double up the dose since I'm bigger than a kid. My doctor said this was totally fine and better than nothing at all. Hope that helps!
#39 of 46 Old 04-22-2008, 08:09 PM

I only weight myself at my midwife appts. So far I'm down about 35 pounds. They're not happy, but not panicked either. I guess because I was overweight to begin with. And baby seems fine.

When I first started going to the mw I requested that they NOT tell me my weight each time because I was so self-conscious. But now I'm really anxious to hear the numbers every time because I want to stop losing so much so fast. I haven't thrown up in 2 weeks, so I'm curious to see if I finally start gaining. I still don't have much of an appetite, so we'll see.

I'm also curious to see how I feel if and when I DO start gaining. It's kind of nice to have a thin face and not to have to buy maternity pants. My regular pants are falling off of me, even with a belly!

Sleepy mama to Colin Theodore 8-12-08 and Trevor Arthur 7-17-12.

#40 of 46 Old 04-22-2008, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwuertz View Post
I have a scale at home, but I haven't stepped on it in a few weeks because it was so depressing. I have had the worst pregnancy of anyone I know (PICC line for fluids, anti-nausea drugs they usually give to chemo patients). I basically didn't even eat the first trimester. At my lowest point I lost 22 lbs. of my pre-pregnancy body weight. At my last appointment I had gained 6lbs back. However, I totally have a belly. I can feel the top of my uterus and it is right where it should be according to my week by week book. My OB says the baby is totally healthy and doing just fine.

I've been able to eat normally the last couple weeks, but I'm still throwing up a couple times a week. Today was a particularly bad day in that I threw up twice this afternoon.

The condition I have is hyperemesis gravidarum. There is a message board for HG that I'm on. Some of these women just amaze me. I thought I was really bad, but they've been through worse. Some have done it multiple times too and delivered healthy normal babies each time.

So all that to say that your baby will pull from your reserves and you probably don't have anything to worry about. Try to get in what you can and just make it through.

Oh and I have a tip on the vitamins thing. I can't stomach prenatals, so instead I take children's gummi vitamins. I just double up the dose since I'm bigger than a kid. My doctor said this was totally fine and better than nothing at all. Hope that helps!

yep, sadly I hear you -- I have hg too. it totally sucks, right? I'm just over 17 weeks now and finally starting to eat a little bit more, but not much. still mainly oatmeal, toast and potato products. a little chicken broth and occasionally tofu ice cream if I'm lucky.

I lost exactly 22 lbs. as well, but somehow gained 17 back in the last few weeks. not sure how, but I guess oatmeal and bread have enough calories! a lot of the variation is due to extreme dehydration too, I think.

unfortunately I haven't been able to tolerate any vitamins at all. I freaked out recently realizing that I haven't eaten a vegetable or vitamin since January, so my midwife had me try one more time with a mild chewable prenatal vitamin, but I threw up all night from it. what exactly are the vitamins you take that don't bother your stomach? maybe I can try those...
#41 of 46 Old 04-22-2008, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belia View Post
My regular pants are falling off of me, even with a belly!
That was totally me too. I actually bought maternity pants because everything I owned was huge on me even with a belt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcaitlin View Post
what exactly are the vitamins you take that don't bother your stomach? maybe I can try those...
Flinstones Gummi Vites or Trader Joes Gummivites (depends on which grocery store I go to when I run out). You should be able to get the Flinstones ones anywhere though.

Sorry you have HG too! It really sucks. It totally changed so much about how I viewed pregnancy. I never would have wanted to take all the medicines and stuff I'm taking now while pregnant, but I really have no choice if I want to be able to get some nutrition.
#42 of 46 Old 04-23-2008, 11:22 AM

I feel like I"m the only one who's actually gaining weight around here...
#43 of 46 Old 04-23-2008, 11:33 AM

You're not, don't worry. At 16 weeks I'm up 8 pounds. It's sooooo hard after having just lost weight as you know.

P.S. I read your DDC a lot. I'm due the first week of October but I've never gone any longer than 38 weeks.
#44 of 46 Old 04-23-2008, 12:46 PM

If it makes you feel better muppet729, I've gained over 20 lbs so far

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#45 of 46 Old 04-23-2008, 12:58 PM

I've gained too--I'm up about 13 lbs at 20 weeks. More if I weigh myself later in the day.
#46 of 46 Old 04-24-2008, 01:32 AM

I'm up just over 20 pounds. I started off a healthy weight, so I'm just trying not to hugely overeat (I am HUNGRY, darn it!) and I'm exercising really well. My midwives have me weigh myself at each appointment but all they ever say is "perfect!" I gained about 45 pounds with my son (and was 20 pounds overweight to start) and 35 with my daughter, so I'm hoping to keep it more around the 35 mark but we shall see.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page