Mothering Forum banner

this just never makes sense to me...

557 views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  gentleearthmama 
#1 ·
Why do they tell you not to take a bath if your water has broken??? If you are going to have a waterbirth you will be there until the end, so what is the harm in laboring in a nice warm tub of water and then getting out when baby is going to be born? Do they mean that you should not take a bath in an unsterilized tub if your water has been broken? I planned on getting a small blow up pool and using a pool liner for sanitation reasons, or getting a tub liner if I decide to lay in the tub for a while. THere is nothing wrong with this is there? I'd love to say that I'm going to have a water birth, but I'm going to have the baby at the hospital so that is not an option anymore.
But why can't I labor for as long as I want to in my pool whether or not water has broken???

See less See more
#2 ·
Who says that? I don't think it's a problem, and like you said if you are having a waterbirth you're water is going to break first most likely. It's probably a good idea to have a clean tub but I don't think you need a liner, especially if you aren't giving birth in it. I think I thought that when I was pregnanct with ds1 and said something about it to my mw and she said it wasn't a problem to be in the tub after water breaks.

#3 ·
In some hospitals that have laboring tubs, but not birthing tubs (insert eye roll here) they won't allow you in the tubs because 1) they don't have the telemetry unit to check heart tones while you're in the pool 2) risk of infection is far far greater in a hospital environment already and once your water has broken, ANYTHING going "up there" increases your risks of that (and for some strange reason some seem to think water can magically get up there??? and 3) they are afraid you'll have the baby in the tub and not want to get out.

That's my understanding anyway.
Otherwise, in your own home environment, the risks of infection are low as your body has built up immunities to any germs in your own home, and I would highly recommend laboring in water! it's wonderful!

Mandy

#4 ·
I've done a number of hospital and homebirths, and the "don't get in a bath after your water breaks" tends to be an MD mantra, and not one I've come across with midwives. Also, most commercial places are going to have chlorinated water which should deal with any bacterial problems. It has never made a lot of sense to me!

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by feelinhot View Post
Who says that? I don't think it's a problem, and like you said if you are having a waterbirth you're water is going to break first most likely. It's probably a good idea to have a clean tub but I don't think you need a liner, especially if you aren't giving birth in it. I think I thought that when I was pregnanct with ds1 and said something about it to my mw and she said it wasn't a problem to be in the tub after water breaks.
It's pretty much in any printed information. Mainstream probably though now that I'm thinking of it. It came to mind again because even in my Hypnobabies, it says that when it is getting close to the time to go to the hospital, take the time if possible to take a warm bath (as long as your water has not broken!) so that you stay relaxed as possible. So even in the Hypnobabies material, it stated that.

So...what are the chances that bacteria will get to the baby if the water bag has been broken? I wouldn't think they are that big because whenever I have taken a bath, I have never felt like water gets in 'there' at all. The vaginal walls seem to be pretty close together. If the baby's head is lowering into them will that open up the wall and let water in?

So I don't need to buy a liner for my tub? I was planning on buying an inflatable pool that would not be used before the birthing time.

#6 ·
??????

Are "they" saying no baths because they don't want people using bubble baths or fancy stuff like that? Like, when people think of "baths" do they think of the candles on the edge.... bubbles foaming... etc etc etc???? Like you see in the movies?

Wasn't it "Knocked Up" that showed the laboring woman in a full-blown bubble bath? I don't know, but I could see that being a bad idea.

#8 ·
With my hospital birth with my first, my water broke as soon as I got there. I still planned on getting in the tub. My nurse said she needed to check with my doc, since my water had broken, but it wasn't an automatic "no." She did finally get "permission"
from my doc, but by then it was too late and I was ready to push. So, talk to your mw and get it in your charts that laboring in the tub is fine even after your water breaks and you should be okay. Do whatever you want at home!

... Although, in my case, having a homebirth the second time didn't help with the laboring in water scenario... I didn't get in our regular tub because dh was filling the pool and I wanted to save the hot water for that. But, the birth went very fast and by the time dh got the tub filled, baby was arriving!

#9 ·
It seems like the people who make these rules, most of whom don't have vaginas themselves, think that water just flows up on in there while you're in the bath.
I think as long as you don't let anyone put anything in there while you're in the tub, especially including cervical checks, you should be fine.

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ccasanova View Post
It's pretty much in any printed information. Mainstream probably though now that I'm thinking of it. It came to mind again because even in my Hypnobabies, it says that when it is getting close to the time to go to the hospital, take the time if possible to take a warm bath (as long as your water has not broken!) so that you stay relaxed as possible. So even in the Hypnobabies material, it stated that.

So...what are the chances that bacteria will get to the baby if the water bag has been broken? I wouldn't think they are that big because whenever I have taken a bath, I have never felt like water gets in 'there' at all. The vaginal walls seem to be pretty close together. If the baby's head is lowering into them will that open up the wall and let water in?

So I don't need to buy a liner for my tub? I was planning on buying an inflatable pool that would not be used before the birthing time.
I guess that's why I thought the same thing with my first
But then my mw did say it was fine so I guess it depends on your provider. What does yours say? I'm not sure about the chances of bacteria getting to baby but women have waterbirths all the time and I'm guessing some of them spend some time in the water after their water breaks. I've just never heard of that being a problem. If you are just laboring in water I think your regular tub is fine to labor in if it's comfortable. They don't line them in hospitals-well the ones I used weren't and one was an acutal birthing tub. I'm not sure what you need to do for a blow up pool though as far as cleaning it. I'm planning on bringing one to the hospital with me.

#12 ·
My thought is that sometimes your water can break a couple of days before contractions start up, and sometimes labor starts and stops. If your water has broken and you're not in active labor, you don't really know how long it will be until your baby is born. It could be more than a day, and the risk of infection does increase.
Also, getting in the tub before active labor has started can actually slow labor down.
My advice is if your water does break before you're in active labor, stay out of the tub until you know that baby is coming and you're in active labor.
With my first baby, I had a fast labor (9 hours from first contraction to birth)
and I only spent the last 2 hours in the tub. My water broke in the tub. I got in the tub because I knew the baby was well on his way. As soon as I got in the tub, I threw up and shortly after my water broke and things progressed even faster then, but being in the water was SO much nicer and more comfortable than out of the water.
I am sure there are plenty of opinions on this, but there's mine!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.