Mothering Forum banner

Shoulder Dystocia

671 views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  julesinottawa 
#1 ·
Has anyone had this in a previous birth and have no problems with subsequent babies? DS2 had it. I think it was pretty mild though. I'm getting nervous about it happening again though and I'm worried about the baby losing function in an arm or something. Also did you have any restrictions placed on you because of a previous shoulder dystocia?

#2 ·
what is that exactly? If it is that the baby's collar bone breaks during the birth then that happened to my last ds
I want to go hug and kiss him now just thinking about how that had to hurt.
He was my biggest baby out of all at 7 lbs. 9 oz. I know that is not big compared to other babies but before him, my other three were not past 6 lb. 7 oz. and they were a week late. If what I'm talking about is not what you mentioned, then I guess, no, it hasn't happened to me?

#6 ·
My baby had SD, and yes, it was a homebirth. Her shoulders were stuck far back behind the pubic bone, and her cord was compressed between her shoulder and my pelvis bone. I tried every position to get her out. The EMTs finally got her out (we called them when we realized her cord was caught) but it was too late and she was born still.

#8 ·
I know with my first sone (2nd babe) there was talk about it ( I was in the hospital, epidural, the works.. poor uninformed mama that I *was*)... My mother told me that the 'med'wife and nurses were whispering about it when the boy wasn't coming our very easily after a lot of pushing (really, not THAT much, but more than the dr's like, because heaven forbid a babe take longer than 30 min to push out) and after another 20 min or so he finally came out.. after a LOT of pushing and the nurses telling me I wasn't pushing hard enough... weighing a whopping 11 lbs 1 oz (AFTER having his first bm on my stomach.. HAHA) ... one of the nurses actually apologized for telling me I wasn't pushing hard enough, and said it wasn't that at all.. he was just BIG... hahaha...

This time around (#5) will be my first birth center birth, and I'm looking forward to it!

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by neshamamama View Post
From what I understand the best thing that you can do to prevent shoulder distocia is to give birth on your hands and knees. This creates more space in your pelvis had helps baby's positioning...
Getting on your hands and knees definitely works! BTDT.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mamato3wild ponnie View Post
Just wondering if those babies who had shoulder dystocia...the mama's labored on there backs and or with epidurals....it's pretty rare with homebirths and non medicated births. Just wondering...
No epidural or laboring on back here and no meds. I did push while on my back when standing wasn't working and my energy was running low.

Quote:

Originally Posted by winginit View Post
Hands and knees if it's a problem!! Will be individual for each baby and how they descend down the birth canal!
Yes! See my sig. It worked for us. I'm so thankful for our amazing midwives!

(From April DDC, btw.)

#10 ·
In most cases of shoulder dystocia, midwives have the skills to help manipulate the baby out along with positioning of the mother. My older sister was a hospital transfer due to shoulder dystocia, but my Mom was ill-informed about it and told me that if she'd known she may have been able to stay home as she was doing basically the opposite of what she should have done. As a result, I was born in the hospital with no attempt to stay home.

She was given an episiotomy to allow the doctor to reach in there and dislodge the shoulders, and I believe they assisted with vacuum extraction.

#11 ·
Yeah, I'm re-reading one of Ina May's books, and it sounds like hands and knees opens up the pelvic area SO much... So, if this babe takes after it's siblings, I will probably find that position helpful come sept

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kellie_MO4 View Post
Yeah, I'm re-reading one of Ina May's books, and it sounds like hands and knees opens up the pelvic area SO much... So, if this babe takes after it's siblings, I will probably find that position helpful come sept

I so vividly remembered during my pregnancy that one birth story in her book... Never imagined that it would be put into play (or that I'd have a 12 lb son, for that matter!). Very useful information to have!

#13 ·
Not in your ddc but thought I would reply since this is something I've been worrying about. My ds had it and was 9lb 9oz. He was born in hospital but no epidural. I laboured mostly in an upright position but was in bed for the actual delivery. He wasn't moving one arm very much and had an xray immediately after birth to check for broken bones. Thankfully he was okay and not long after he started to move that arm. I am worrying a bit about it happening again (at my 32 week ultrasound baby was already over 5lbs). I just wanted to let you know you aren't alone in your concern. Hopefully we'll both avoid it this time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.