|View Poll Results: Are you planning on Vaccinating this baby?|
|Yes I am.||16||14.16%|
|No i'm not.||54||47.79%|
|I'm going to delay or selectively vaccinate.||42||37.17%|
|I'm not sure.||1||0.88%|
|Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll|
We do delayed/very selective vax'ing. Mainly due to military travel and my absolute total and completely ridiculous phobia of pertussis ....
Me. Full-time ,,x2 Momma. Part-time Doula & WAHM. Married to my bff USMC CWO2. Momma to the big M 11/06 -- the lil' C 09/08 and expecting our 3rd & last 12/12.
Therefore, I do not see any reason to inject my child with poison in hopes of having the possibility(no guarantee) of preventing a disease if for some reason they should come into contact with it at some point in their life.
Also sometimes a vaccine will give the child the disease it was supposed prevent. And some children will die because of a bad reaction to a vaccine. Now that I know the info on it, I can not allow my child to be vaccinated unless the vaccines are made 100% safe.(that could be pretty tough to do)
Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 , and DD2 July 2013
I was one of those children who had a bad reaction to a vaccine. my parents delayed and did selective vax. at age 3 we lived in Austria and I became temporarily paralyzed from the waist down after getting the polio and tetanus shots. I recovered and am totally fine, but it was enough to scare my parents into not vaxing any more of their kids (4 after me). though as we started going to college and traveling internationally, we all got tetanus shots with my parents' encouragement.
my sister was not able to get out of the meningitis vax requirement in her last year of college. there was a local outbreak a couple years ago and she couldn't go back to school without the vax. so she got it, and at age 18 developed an extraordinarily high and lasting fever and full-body rash that landed her in the hospital very sick for over a week. (she also recovered fully.)
incidentally, I contracted pertussis as a young child, got better, and now have full immunity (according to recent titer). I apparently have moderate immunity to measles and mumps (not sure how!), but almost zero to rubella.
to top it all off, my dh is very pro-vax, for both personal and social good reasons. he's reasonable about delaying/splitting and not giving hep b and chicken pox, but other than that solidly in favor of vaxing.
so I have a lot of baggage to bring to this decision! though I'm inclined to vax only very selectively, we also live in NYC and take crowded, germ-ridden subways every day. I still feel like I have a lot of research to do before deciding anything. I wouldn't vax a newborn anyway, so I guess there is time, but this is a tough issue for us...
I am pretty sure that we will not be vaccinating at all. My siblings and I are all unvaxed, and while I got mumps and we all got pertussis, none of us are any worse for it (and my mom treated us all at home.) Depsite my personal experiences and my parents' opinion I had been thinking about selective vaxing and planned to do some more research, and I might still do that. But after reading this article http://www.generationrescue.com/survey.html that my sister (who recently had her first baby) sent me the other day, I am leaning pretty strongly towards not vaxing at all.
I don't know much on this topic, so when you say you do it one at a time, do you mean you do the course of shots for the one condition first before vaccinating against other diseases? or do you mean you don't do multiple shots/diseases in the one session? if you commit to vaccinating against a certain disease, isn't it important to have the right interval between them to make them "work" effectively or else there's no point?