Are you planning on vaccinating this baby? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Are you planning on Vaccinating this baby?
Yes I am. 16 14.16%
No i'm not. 54 47.79%
I'm going to delay or selectively vaccinate. 42 37.17%
I'm not sure. 1 0.88%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 68 Old 06-24-2008, 01:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow. Glad to see a vax poll and conversation that has stayed tame.

We do delayed/very selective vax'ing. Mainly due to military travel and my absolute total and completely ridiculous phobia of pertussis ....

Me. Full-time intactlact.gif,homeschool.gif,waterbirth.jpgx2 Momma. Part-time Doula & WAHM. Married to my bff USMC CWO2. Momma to the big M energy.gif11/06 -- the lil' superhero.gif C 09/08 and belly.gifexpecting our 3rd & last 12/12.

#62 of 68 Old 06-24-2008, 06:42 AM

I had crazy reactions occur with my second child so no vax for our third or this one.
#63 of 68 Old 08-07-2008, 11:56 AM

From my research, I do not believe vaccines to be safe nor are they proven to be effective.

Therefore, I do not see any reason to inject my child with poison in hopes of having the possibility(no guarantee) of preventing a disease if for some reason they should come into contact with it at some point in their life.
Also sometimes a vaccine will give the child the disease it was supposed prevent. And some children will die because of a bad reaction to a vaccine. Now that I know the info on it, I can not allow my child to be vaccinated unless the vaccines are made 100% safe.(that could be pretty tough to do)

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#64 of 68 Old 08-07-2008, 02:14 PM

I guess I missed this thread while I was away -- glad it has popped back up! anyone still thinking/deciding about this?

I was one of those children who had a bad reaction to a vaccine. my parents delayed and did selective vax. at age 3 we lived in Austria and I became temporarily paralyzed from the waist down after getting the polio and tetanus shots. I recovered and am totally fine, but it was enough to scare my parents into not vaxing any more of their kids (4 after me). though as we started going to college and traveling internationally, we all got tetanus shots with my parents' encouragement.

my sister was not able to get out of the meningitis vax requirement in her last year of college. there was a local outbreak a couple years ago and she couldn't go back to school without the vax. so she got it, and at age 18 developed an extraordinarily high and lasting fever and full-body rash that landed her in the hospital very sick for over a week. (she also recovered fully.)

incidentally, I contracted pertussis as a young child, got better, and now have full immunity (according to recent titer). I apparently have moderate immunity to measles and mumps (not sure how!), but almost zero to rubella.

to top it all off, my dh is very pro-vax, for both personal and social good reasons. he's reasonable about delaying/splitting and not giving hep b and chicken pox, but other than that solidly in favor of vaxing.

so I have a lot of baggage to bring to this decision! though I'm inclined to vax only very selectively, we also live in NYC and take crowded, germ-ridden subways every day. I still feel like I have a lot of research to do before deciding anything. I wouldn't vax a newborn anyway, so I guess there is time, but this is a tough issue for us...
#65 of 68 Old 08-07-2008, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme77 View Post
Wow. Glad to see a vax poll and conversation that has stayed tame.

We do delayed/very selective vax'ing. Mainly due to military travel and my absolute total and completely ridiculous phobia of pertussis ....
We are delay/selective for mostly military travel reasons too.
#66 of 68 Old 08-07-2008, 03:06 PM

I missed this thread the first time around too...

I am pretty sure that we will not be vaccinating at all. My siblings and I are all unvaxed, and while I got mumps and we all got pertussis, none of us are any worse for it (and my mom treated us all at home.) Depsite my personal experiences and my parents' opinion I had been thinking about selective vaxing and planned to do some more research, and I might still do that. But after reading this article http://www.generationrescue.com/survey.html that my sister (who recently had her first baby) sent me the other day, I am leaning pretty strongly towards not vaxing at all.
#67 of 68 Old 08-07-2008, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

In the military they vaccinate the guys and gals like cattle. lol. Poor DH is overly vaccinated. No adverse reactions though. Phew! I'm fully vaxed... got all the vaxes growing up. I also had the privilege of having rubella as an infant, and the chickenpox when I was 6. Oh, and my last tetanus was a few months before I got pregnant. The only vaccine i haven't had is the HPV one. I told the doctor it was totally unnecessary. He begged to differ and he and I argued for a while about it. But in the end I won. lol. Now i'm just working on figuring out which vaccines I want to do for little Abby... and when. I've got Dr. Sears' vaccine book and i'm reading through it.

Rachel lady.gif, in love with my baby girl Abigailenergy.gifborn 9/17/08!
#68 of 68 Old 08-11-2008, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily's Mama View Post
I don't know much on this topic, so when you say you do it one at a time, do you mean you do the course of shots for the one condition first before vaccinating against other diseases? or do you mean you don't do multiple shots/diseases in the one session? if you commit to vaccinating against a certain disease, isn't it important to have the right interval between them to make them "work" effectively or else there's no point?
I missed this before so I hope no one minds me bumping it up to answer. For our DD, she's only had DTaP and she got that at 2 months, 4 months, and 6 months. She'll have another at 12 months. We only do one vaccine at a time in our family instead of getting HepB, Rotavirus, DTaP, Hib, PCV, and IPV all in the same visit like they wanted us to do at her 2 month visit and so on.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page