Are you planning on vaccinating this baby? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Are you planning on Vaccinating this baby?
Yes I am. 16 14.16%
No i'm not. 54 47.79%
I'm going to delay or selectively vaccinate. 42 37.17%
I'm not sure. 1 0.88%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 68 Old 06-13-2008, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey, I just wanted to see the variety of answers we'll get, and see what other people think, and also just put the various options out there. So, are you planning on vaccinating?

Rachel lady.gif, in love with my baby girl Abigailenergy.gifborn 9/17/08!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 68 Old 06-13-2008, 10:23 PM

I am, but I'm going to ask that the preservative thimerisol (sp?) not be used and I am going to have them done one at a time instead of several at a time. Well that's for now anyway... I'll have to do more research before I make my final decision.
#3 of 68 Old 06-13-2008, 10:36 PM

nope, we aren't

♥ SAHM to my 5 kiddos ♥
2/01, 12/02, 4/05, 7/06 and 10/08
#4 of 68 Old 06-13-2008, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwuertz View Post
I am, but I'm going to ask that the preservative thimerisol (sp?) not be used and I am going to have them done one at a time instead of several at a time. Well that's for now anyway... I'll have to do more research before I make my final decision.
Same with me.... I want to see if I can space mine out further too. I have to figure out what the maximum spacing is.

#5 of 68 Old 06-13-2008, 11:25 PM

Nope, Vax free here.

Thea, wife to Daniel Homeschooling Momma to 4 beautiful, engergetic children.
#6 of 68 Old 06-13-2008, 11:34 PM

I watched my grandfather die of polio. I vaccinate my kids. I do, however, decline ones that are not life threatening diseases.

One Mom, Three Kids. Life is Great.

#7 of 68 Old 06-13-2008, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommathea View Post
Nope, Vax free here.
:

Tina - mama to DD1 10.75yrs, DD2 6yrs, DD3 2.5 yrs & baby due in June 2015 and wifey to DH.
#8 of 68 Old 06-14-2008, 12:10 AM

Nope. DS1 is not vaxed either.
#9 of 68 Old 06-14-2008, 12:36 AM

My boys 5 1/2 and 3 are not vaccinated and this one will also not be.

AP crunchy homeschooling mama to Henning (1/4/03), Connor (7/1/05) and Elijah (9/21/08) Forever holding my 3 lost little ones in my heart.
#10 of 68 Old 06-14-2008, 01:06 AM

I'm planning on vaxing--I have a hold on the Sears Vaccine Book at the Library to help me decide how and when.

I just finished my master's degree in community health (graduated today, woo hoo!!!) and I can't deny that vaccines have saved millions of lives....pretty impressive. I'm open to making it a safer expereince for my kiddo though
#11 of 68 Old 06-14-2008, 01:13 AM

No vax or well baby visit

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#12 of 68 Old 06-14-2008, 01:43 AM

Our boys aren't vaxed and this baby won't be either. I have an irrational fear of vaccinations, and it's pretty much the only thing in my life I'm truly afraid of, so I heed it. I tell people all of the reasons there are to be concerned about the safety of vaccinations (and YAY that the vax-autism link is no longer being 100% dismissed by the medical community!), but in the end I always tell them that although there are compelling arguments on both sides, the idea of vaxing my kids just doesn't sit well with me and I have to heed that intuition.

I've always said that "someday" we'll consider tetanus, MMR and varicella...but every time we consider them, I just can't do it.

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#13 of 68 Old 06-14-2008, 01:57 AM

Yes.
#14 of 68 Old 06-14-2008, 01:57 AM

We do selective/delayed. The Dr.Sears book is a good resource if you are interested in knowing which ones may be most important depending on your individual situation. IMO, vaccines are not a 'one size fits all' thing, there are many factors to consider when making the decision that is right for your family.

sarah, mama to e & j 8/08, and big brother 8/06
#15 of 68 Old 06-14-2008, 02:23 AM

nope

Just a modifiedartist.gif trying to find some peace and regain my balance.
#16 of 68 Old 06-14-2008, 03:16 AM - Thread Starter

Pretty cool. I like the range of replies and votes we're getting. Very interesting to see.

#17 of 68 Old 06-14-2008, 06:57 AM

nope. vaccinations are ineffective and dangerous.
#18 of 68 Old 06-14-2008, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremco View Post
I watched my grandfather die of polio. I vaccinate my kids. I do, however, decline ones that are not life threatening diseases.
My father had polio, many who had long term damage were ones who were treated wrong. The treatment he had funny enough was the "alternative" type of the day, no one he was treated with was very bad off, just smaller foot on one side by a bit and ideally needed 2 pairs of shoes, which funny enough I have as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamato3wild ponnie View Post
No vax or well baby visit
In the UK there isn't this "well baby" visit. I just don't understand it. I mean if you have a problem, you ring or go in, and if baby is fine, you don't need a doctor do you?

If your someone that enjoys weights and measures maybe a scale and tape measure is more useful, it's more accurate when done at home anyway (weight)

Just something I never ever got, like the "sick" vs "well" room, if my child wasn't sick I'd be at the shops not HERE, I told the lady
#19 of 68 Old 06-14-2008, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britishmama View Post
In the UK there isn't this "well baby" visit. I just don't understand it. I mean if you have a problem, you ring or go in, and if baby is fine, you don't need a doctor do you?
I don't know anything about well baby visits in the US, but here in Denmark a nurse comes to you and it's as much about the mama as the baby. They just want to make sure everything's going ok and give you a chance to ask questions if you have any. I don't see anything wrong with that. I'm guessing there's little in common with what goes on the US, though.
#20 of 68 Old 06-14-2008, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcyone View Post
I don't know anything about well baby visits in the US, but here in Denmark a nurse comes to you and it's as much about the mama as the baby. They just want to make sure everything's going ok and give you a chance to ask questions if you have any. I don't see anything wrong with that. I'm guessing there's little in common with what goes on the US, though.
We have nurses who like to visit, weigh babies etc. I'm told they are being phased out more, I hope so they are usually useless and make mothers stop BF'ing and seem to be spies to see how mothers are "coping" (notice I didn't like ours )
#21 of 68 Old 06-14-2008, 11:34 AM

Yikes! Everyone here is very pro-BFing. I'd be shocked and appalled if a nurse said anything against it!
#22 of 68 Old 06-14-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Yikes! Everyone here is very pro-BFing. I'd be shocked and appalled if a nurse said anything against it!
Your in a different world Here they claim to be pro BF but in theory they claim most babies need "top ups" which finally the mother stops cause her supply is gone

How are the BF rates there (sorry for off topic)?
#23 of 68 Old 06-14-2008, 11:46 AM

The most recent numbers I've seen are 98% at discharge and 75% at 4 mos, which is when peds here say it's OK to introduce other foods.
#24 of 68 Old 06-14-2008, 11:51 AM

Ds1 was nearly fully vaxed. We didn't do newborn hepB (but he did get it at 2 months), or varicella. He's also missing 1 or 2 of the newer vaxes.

My plan with ds2 was to hold off on vaxes until he turned 2, which we did. Then when I started trying to decide what to give him at age 2, I discovered that most of the diseases are either ONLY a problem for the under-2-year-olds, or primarily a school-age disease. So, we haven't given him any vaxes.

I need to decide about dc3. I might do a couple of the vaxes for the infant years. Or, I might just make sure the rest of us get DTaP, for instance, but not actually give it to the baby. Ds1 is in school now, so we'll be exposed to more as a family. Plus, we'll be hitting cold and flu season shortly after this babe is born. I don't know, I need to do more reading again.

I also need to learn more about homeopathy and other natural remedies and immune boosters.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#25 of 68 Old 06-14-2008, 01:46 PM

Nope-not until hes much, much older, and then only selectively. My 2 year old isnt vaxed at all either.

I researched all the diseases, what they do, how they are transmitted, etc, and the number of cases in the US each year. My conclusion was my kids arnt at risk for any of them, most arnt that easy to catch (ie, they arnt airborn or caught by touch), and the few that were easier, really werent that bad even if they caught it. I am going to pick a few specific things to vaccinate against before they start school, but they wont be getting nearly everything and I will be signing on the back of the immunization record thing that they are unvaxed.

Having said that, my oldest is fully vaxed and my daughter is almost fully vaxed but was delayed until she was 3. My ds has had pertussis TWICE now! And my unvaxed daughter didnt catch it! lol Anyway, I wouldnt be able to put their vaccines in anyway because I refuse to get the stupid chicken pox vax. Ugh.

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10
#26 of 68 Old 06-14-2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
I got yelled at by a ped because my dd hadnt been in for a well baby visit yet (my 3rd-and this wasnt our regular ped who is AWSOME) and was 8 weeks old. I took her in because, even though she'd been seen by my midwives 3 times (that WAS her visit imo :P), she was still very jaundice and I was begining to wonder if something else was up. I knew it wasnt at dangerous levels, it was just lasting soooo long. So I took her in to get the peds opinion and wow...I wanted to slap her, lol. She completely freaked, acted like my dd was going to die, sent us over to the hospital for tests. Then an hour later, when the results were in she came in and goes uh, so, her levels are completely safe, and then ran out of the room. My regular ped was shocked when I told her!

And yeah, we dont do *well baby visits* either and my ped doesnt seem to mind. I do very occasionally take my baby in for a weight check, but thats just out of curiosity. I like to keep all my kids away from the docs unless they are actually sick-cause they always seem to come home with a cold after that!

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10
#27 of 68 Old 06-14-2008, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocsNemesis View Post
Anyway, I wouldnt be able to put their vaccines in anyway because I refuse to get the stupid chicken pox vax. Ugh.
Is that required now? I hope not... it seems so silly.

#28 of 68 Old 06-14-2008, 06:03 PM

Nope. I stopped vaxing when ds1 was 2 years, ds2 was 4 months.
#29 of 68 Old 06-14-2008, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfunkyfantastic View Post
Is that required now? I hope not... it seems so silly.
With the schools my kids attended in NY (and I think down here in NC too) chicken pox was on the "have to have to get into school" list. Of course, we had exemptions.
#30 of 68 Old 06-14-2008, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseMomme View Post
With the schools my kids attended in NY (and I think down here in NC too) chicken pox was on the "have to have to get into school" list. Of course, we had exemptions.
That is so stupid... that illness isn't even close to deadly. I had it as a kid and turned out just fine! (gave it to all my sisters too.... lol.) I swear... it's only usually the adults that have any problem with chickenpox... and then only the adults with weakened immune systems. I find no point in vaccinating against chickenpox.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page