any other CD novices? let's learn together! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-27-2008, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I definitely prefer UNbleached CHINESE prefolds over any other kind of prefold. RE: infant or newborn, I'd buy the newborn or possibly preemie. I've had two big babies and the green-stitched infant prefolds were still too long in the rise for them at the *very* beginning (they grow fast, but it was still nearly a month before my 9 pound 4oz DS1 fit well into the infant sized prefolds).

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2008, 08:03 PM

The difference between prefolds and flats:
Prefolds are a rectangular shaped diaper that has layers of material down the center panel already- you can buy them in say 2x4x2, or 4x8x4- this tells you how many layers of fabric are in the prefold- let's take 2x4x2- there are 2 layers in the left side, 4 layers down the "sewn" middle, and another 2 layers down the right side. Normally infant and newborn diapers are made with these thicknesses because newborns and infants do not pee as much as older babies.

Flats are just that- one big flat piece of fabric- one layer- the original flats were made out of birdseye- which you can still get at GMD or Little Lions- they are really big- 32x32 (?) and you can fold them in tons of different ways. When baby gets older and is peeing more, you can use two at a time, or fold one up and use a newborn prefold down the middle for some extra protection in the wet zone.

I did buy 3 dozen infant (orange edge) prefolds for this little one, and i plan on using them as "doublers" with flat diapers as baby grows. Hope it is not too much work!!
LOL!

Shane mama to three boys!! Wife to an amazing man.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:47 PM

Just thought I'd chime in! We're due with our first in early October, and we're going to CD. I pawed my way through all the info here in the diapering section of MDC and asked a few questions and feel pretty confident in my NB stash. Hopefully our LO can wear them for at least a few months b/c I decided to get all NB sizes!

I bought :
24 unbleached chinese prefolds
2 snappis
6 kissaluvs fitteds
5 xs Thirsties covers
1 BG egyptian cotton fitted
1 BSWW
2 BG 2.0 AIO's

I still have to get a diaper pail and detergent to wash everything first. But I'm really feeling good about the decision to CD. It may seem like a bit of work at first but totally think it's worth it.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 07-28-2008, 12:53 AM

I have a love for our BumGenius one-size diapers. They are all that we use.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:00 AM

This is our first baby and we'll be CDing. I'm pretty happy with my newborn/small stash now but still need a lot more medium/large or one-size dipes for when he gets a bigger. For my n/s stash, I have a big variety of dipes, mostly bought second-hand. I figure I'll take whatever I like best to build the rest of my stash.

My biggest diaper worry right now is prepping them properly and deciding on a detergent. I'm having trouble finding any of the recommended detergents around here, so I'm not sure what to do about that. Any CDers here from Atlantic Canada?
Old 08-15-2008, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

I went to a CD demonstration/meeting today and bought a starter kit that has three waterproof wraps, three fitted diapers, a few prefolds, two boosters and a couple fleece liners as well as paper liners. I'm thinking that I might do prefolds in a wrap with a liner at first and see how that goes since it's the cheapest option and dries the fastest. I'll probably use the fitted diapers with a wrap at night until I see what kind of soaker my babe is. I had initially thought I would go for the all-in-ones like Bum Genius but after seeing how expensive they are and how long they take to dry, I think I'll give those a miss for right now. Pocket diapers look like they might be a decent option as well, though it means washing the whole thing every time.

Now my only two questions are whether to go ahead and buy more supplies now or just wait and see how we get on with the couple we've got in the starter pack, and whether to wet pail or dry pail. I had planned to dry pail but after hearing how many extra rinses and washes you have to do to get them clean it seems a bit of a waste of water so I'm considering trying the wet pail first. Any thougths on that?

Mother. Doula. Writer. Feminist. Activist. 
Mum to Moo Moo (4) blahblah.gifand EJ (2) bftoddler.gif

Old 08-15-2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRC View Post
Crashing your DDC ..
We just receive an order today that my mother had purchase for us off our registry. This little diapers are so cute. ( can I say that and still be man LOL). I told the wife she will have to find me a teddy bear so I can get a little practice changing diapers before the baby arives.
yes.....we just got bamboo velour fitteds from fussy but and my Dh said they were so yummy soft he could just eat them

:K mama of 3 boys
Old 08-15-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitymama View Post
Now my only two questions are whether to go ahead and buy more supplies now or just wait and see how we get on with the couple we've got in the starter pack, and whether to wet pail or dry pail. I had planned to dry pail but after hearing how many extra rinses and washes you have to do to get them clean it seems a bit of a waste of water so I'm considering trying the wet pail first. Any thougths on that?
I'm a novice too, but I would say that you should start with a dry pail and see how it works--unless you already have doubts about your washing machine. I have an HE front loader which I love, but which will probably require some detective work to get the best wash routine for CDs. A wet pail is a bit more hassle, from what I understand.

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

Old 08-16-2008, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganCupcake View Post
I'm a novice too, but I would say that you should start with a dry pail and see how it works--unless you already have doubts about your washing machine. I have an HE front loader which I love, but which will probably require some detective work to get the best wash routine for CDs. A wet pail is a bit more hassle, from what I understand.
But don't you have to do all these extra hot washes and rinses if you dry pail? I'm concerned about wasting more water than necessary.

Mother. Doula. Writer. Feminist. Activist. 
Mum to Moo Moo (4) blahblah.gifand EJ (2) bftoddler.gif

Old 08-16-2008, 03:23 PM

We're not newbies but I had to chime in that Allen's Naturally detergent works beautifully in a front loader. It's expensive but we're on our second bottle and barely into it. Our first lasted 6-7 months.

LOL! I already had responded... oops. Sorry!
Old 08-16-2008, 04:56 PM

what are you putting your soiled diapers in? a pail? a wet bag? I want something that will contain stink and is easy. I'm hoping to wash every other day.

modern-mama to DS (5.16.05) and DD (9.11.08) and one more (GIRL!) coming in December
Old 08-16-2008, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moderngal View Post
what are you putting your soiled diapers in? a pail? a wet bag? I want something that will contain stink and is easy. I'm hoping to wash every other day.
With DD I just used a large hanging wetbag and sprinkled baking soda in there every few layers, worked perfectly with no smelliness.

This will be my first time CDing a newborn too, that's actually why I've been MIA from MDC for so long, I was so obsessed with building my stash that I spent all my time at diaperswappers. I think I went a little overboard though, but I've heard so much about how they can go through like 20 dipes a day in the newborn phase and I really didn't want to have to wash too often. Plus I thought DD would still be in diapers too, but she magically decided to potty learn all on her own last month, so I won't have as much wash to do now, but I can't bring myself to part with any of them because they are so tiny and cute!
Old 08-16-2008, 06:55 PM

where did you get your hanging wet bag? is any type/ brand better than another?

modern-mama to DS (5.16.05) and DD (9.11.08) and one more (GIRL!) coming in December
Old 08-16-2008, 07:14 PM

I really like these. I use a large flip-top trash barrel, and have 2 of these. one is filled with the dirty dipes in the pail, and the other is in the wash.

Me+DH (2006)
DS (2005)
DD (2008)
Old 08-16-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moderngal View Post
where did you get your hanging wet bag? is any type/ brand better than another?
I don't think any one is better than another really, I got my last one from RamieBaby Designs on hyena cart because she had some cute fabric that I liked and she is a really sweet WAHM that I had worked with before, but I think they all probably work equally as well and there are a ton out there.

User Tag List