any other CD novices? let's learn together! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 45 Old 07-16-2008, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I use disposables with DD but would like to use cloth for this next babe. It's a bit tricky since we don't have a dryer, our washing machine takes one hour to wash a load and since it's so wet here, I can only hang clothes outside for half the year. But I'd like to give it a go anyway.

Is anyone else going to use cloth for the first time with this baby, either by switching or by being a first-time mom? How did you or will you decide what kind to go for? There are so many options and accessories and I can't seem to get my head around it all!

Mother. Doula. Writer. Feminist. Activist. 
Mum to Moo Moo (4) blahblah.gifand EJ (2) bftoddler.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 45 Old 07-16-2008, 10:08 AM

I'm CDing a newborn for the first time. I didn't CD my DD until 3.5 months. My DH didn't want to use CDs, but once I realized that he didn't change any diapers anyways I said to hell with it and bought a bunch of FBs. So anyways, I have just been getting a variety of things for a newborn. I figure I'll use them again for the next baby and then probably sell them, as I think we're going to have 3, God willing.

Here's my newborn/small diaper stash so far

Pockets/AIOs
7 small FBs
4 small Pocket Change
6 misc. newborn AIOs

Covers
2 fleece covers
5 wool covers
4 vinyl covers (I missed one when I was taking the pic)
1 wool longie

Fitteds
12 KL0s (not all pictured)
6 small (?) Ecobaby organic fitteds
4 Blueberry organic velour fitteds
2 Swaddlebees organic velour fitteds

A friend also just sent me a brand new NB thirsties fab fitted that is not pictured.

I want to add that we have a HE washer and it takes over an hour to run a cycle too. I've been CDing DD using it for 18 months. The only thing I use a dryer for are my inserts for my pocket diapers - though I'd also dry my fitteds, I expect. I use mainly pockets with DD.

Mama to two wonderful DDs (10/06 and 09/08) and expecting a DS 1/1/11!
#3 of 45 Old 07-16-2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitymama View Post
It's a bit tricky since we don't have a dryer, our washing machine takes one hour to wash a load and since it's so wet here, I can only hang clothes outside for half the year. But I'd like to give it a go anyway.
Have you looked at using pocket diapers and microfiber stuffins? The microfiber is a love it or hate it thing, but I definitely think with your situation, pockets with some kind of faster-drying stuffing would be a good plan. The pockets will be almost dry coming out of the wash and if you use a trifold stuffer that's pretty thin but absorbant, I think you could definitely make a go of it.

(sorry, I'm not a novice, but I had to butt in here )

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#4 of 45 Old 07-16-2008, 11:34 AM

I'm a novice. I actually went to my first birthing class yesterday and they showed us how to fold a cloth diaper. I kept trying and it wasn't ending up how I wanted it to... so I handed it off to my mom and told her to show me how she would do it! lol. She folded it without a problem. lol. True she DID cloth diaper me...

Well, for the beginning i'm planning on using a diaper service. I'm hoping to get a bunch of gift certificates so it will be easy to do. I also joined a cloth diaper circle and now I can meet with them monthly to make cloth diapers. I'll be all set by the time I start washing them myself! Whoo hoo!

Rachel lady.gif, in love with my baby girl Abigailenergy.gifborn 9/17/08!
#5 of 45 Old 07-16-2008, 12:06 PM

yes! I am a novice, and even though I've spent HOURS online researching cds, I still have no clue where to start.

my last experience with cloth dipes was 15 years ago using pins and rubber pants on my sister. apparently things have changed since then

I'm finding it hard to actually purchase anything (online) without seeing/feeling it in person first. there are SO many opinions, and everyone has their faves/hates. it's an expensive investment so I want to get it right!
#6 of 45 Old 07-16-2008, 01:56 PM

Like a pp, I CD DS, but didn't start until he was 7 months. So this will be the 1st time I CD a newborn baby.

I have:
- About 40 PF
- 7 vinyl covers
- 2 longies
- 6 pockets (Happy Heinys, Haute Pockets, Blueberry)
-14 KL 0
- A few other fitteds (Thirsties Fab fitted, a couple of Mutts, 3 Goodmamas, 1 Lucys Haute Chest, and a couple of other WAHM dipes)
- About a million wipes

You can certainly get by with less, but I hate to do laundry.

Most of this baby's dipes are used, bought on www.diaperswappers.com. Great way to try out different brands without spending as much. For DS we mostly use pockets, but for DD I'll probably stick to mostly fitteds and covers and pockets later on.

www.diaperpin.com is a great place to read reviews of different dipes. Also, a good thing to do is get a sampler pack that has a bunch of different CD systems. Pretty small investment, and you can narrow down what you like. I believe www.jilliansdrawers.com has some.

Me+DH (2006)
DS (2005)
DD (2008)
#7 of 45 Old 07-16-2008, 03:04 PM

I am a first time CDer. : We gDiapered DD1 and then switched to disposables because it got pretty complicated to keep the gDiapers most of the time and disposables for daycare when we switched providers. We still have some gDiapers leftover so we will probably supplement with those when we are out and about, nothing like being able to flush the mess and move on!

Here is our stash so far:
7 Small Happy Hempys (4 w/fleece, 3 w/out)
10 Hemp Babies Little Weeds inserts
20 Infant PFs (12 bleached, 8 Indian unbleached)
3 KL1s
1 Happy Heiny OS (w/inserts)
5 bG (2.0 and 3.0) OS (w/inserts)
5 Oh Naturel fitteds
#8 of 45 Old 07-16-2008, 03:24 PM

We're cloth diapering our babe, who is our first. For some reason, even when I was 14 years old, I knew I would CD my babies. Where I got that idea, I have no idea, but I'm glad! (I plan to EC at least part-time, too--I saw it in action in China and was very, very impressed.)

I have a friend who just gave me a bunch of small prefolds, some fitteds, and some covers. I ordered some one size pocket diapers from a coop, too. I've also collected some Kissaluvs 0s plus some Fuzzi Bunz in medium and large, plus a couple of Blueberries. So basically I'm trying everything out there! Different things will work for different situations, I think.

I've also knitted several soakers and pairs of longies. They are so cute I can hardly stand it!

Oh, and like emski4379, I love DiaperSwappers! There is just so much there.

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

#9 of 45 Old 07-16-2008, 03:40 PM

I too am CDing a newborn for the first time. I used cd w/ my son from 8 months on. I used pocket diapers with various inserts for him. I
tried with my daughter at around 6 months but her little butt would *always break out in a rash and I gave up :/. I recieved a huge beginners stash from
someone dh works with. She had her little girl at 27 weeks and just never used her cds so she gave
them to me. I was shocked and so excited. It's all prefold, covers, and contours. I may buy some fitted to round everything
out and then I'll use my son's CDs that I still have when he's a bit older.

Jamie, parenting w/ DH , DS1 (02/04), DD (06/06), DS2 (09/08) and DD2 born 8/04/10 9lb 1 oz
#10 of 45 Old 07-16-2008, 04:19 PM

I'm going to be a first time mom and I plan to use CDs too. It wasn't a hard decision for me. I had to convince DP, but mostly he was worried about environmental concerns and so after he weighed the water consumption/energy consumption of CDs to disposables he went for it, plus hopefully CDing will be cheaper. Can you get an all-in-one washer (ie: a machine that washes and dries)? I've been looking at these online because when we move we will buy a washer/dryer. These seem to be pretty efficient.

I really didn't know where to start either do I have decided to collect fleece, wool and cotton covers and then use prefolds. After the baby grows out of my small sizes then maybe I'll move on to something more sophisticated like all-in-ones or pocket diapers.

A concern for me so far is that I don't like PLU on the outside of my covers (I don't mind it in the middle). I am really intrigued by the wonders of wool lately and have a lot of those on my list.

My list of resources so far:
www.betterforbabies.com for little beetle wool diaper covers (they come in colors!)
www.babycottonbottoms.com for polar bummies (fleece covers) and thirsties (covers without PLU covered by fabric)
www.organicgrace.com for blue cloud wool covers and I also bought their wool changing pad

As I write this I realize that you are in London, so you probably wouldn't order from these places. But here are the links anyway.
#11 of 45 Old 07-16-2008, 04:29 PM

If you are looking for inexpensive covers you can get prowraps seconds... I just ordered nine covers and including shipping i spent less than 50 dollars... the phone number is (800) 397-8594.
#12 of 45 Old 07-16-2008, 05:05 PM

I Cd my DS#3 when he was 6 months for about 3-4 months. I started collecting a stash for this baby. I want to go all cloth, diapers and wipes. I've made about 30 wipes and bought 15 from a WAHM. I'm also collecting CD from other WAHM's along the way. I plan on using prefolds and covers in the begining and see how that works for us. I do have lots of AIO's for when were out of the house. I'm looking to make my own wipe solution....i've seen a few directions...just need to get back to the states and go to the health food store to pick up some EO's.

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#13 of 45 Old 07-16-2008, 06:10 PM

We're CD for the first time also, and I've been freaking out a little about how to wash the diapers we already have.

Here's the stash:
2 dozen preemie prefolds
2 dozen newborn prefolds
2 dozen infant prefolds
18 KL size 0
18 covers, some NB and some small

I know we don't have enough diapers for triplets, but we're waiting to see which system we like best before we order more.

I have a Whirlpool Duet front loader washing machine, and I don't have any good detergent yet...I read the 7th gen is not good for them, and I'm on bedrest and haven't been able to look around for a better type. I'll send DP this weekend.
#14 of 45 Old 07-16-2008, 08:35 PM

We use a front loader and have had good luck with Allen's. In fact, I bought my jug of Allen's when DD was 3 months old and still have not run out - with washing diapers every other day - because my front loader needs so little of it.

Mama to two wonderful DDs (10/06 and 09/08) and expecting a DS 1/1/11!
#15 of 45 Old 07-17-2008, 03:11 AM

Crashing your DDC ..

We are new to CD as this will be our first baby.

I found this site and I am really happy with the selection and online registry.

http://www.abbyslane.com/index.php

We just receive an order today that my mother had purchase for us off our registry. This little diapers are so cute. ( can I say that and still be man LOL). I told the wife she will have to find me a teddy bear so I can get a little practice changing diapers before the baby arives.
#16 of 45 Old 07-26-2008, 07:11 PM

i'm so overwhelmed w/ choices that i haven't gotten any yet and my daughter is 21 months old *sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcaitlin View Post
yes! I am a novice, and even though I've spent HOURS online researching cds, I still have no clue where to start.

my last experience with cloth dipes was 15 years ago using pins and rubber pants on my sister. apparently things have changed since then

I'm finding it hard to actually purchase anything (online) without seeing/feeling it in person first. there are SO many opinions, and everyone has their faves/hates. it's an expensive investment so I want to get it right!
just so you know, i had my daughter when i was living in b'lyn (bay ridge) and i called the only 2 diaper services in the area that i could find and they never called me back. jerks.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world" - Gandhi
My Livi bear 10/26/2006
#17 of 45 Old 07-26-2008, 08:33 PM

This will be my first time CD'ing a newborn.
I started CD'ing DS#1 when he was about 6 mo old.

Personally, every baby is different, and you will find that covers and diapers that a lot of people may rave about do not work on your child because of different build, weight, and how they wet- super saokers vs. light pee-ers.

Anyway, that said- personaly i think your best bet, especially since you do not have a dryer- would be to use flat diapers and covers. We are using a combination of prefolds and flats with various wool soakers, nylon & PUL covers.
The reason i would suggest flats is because they are just that- one big flat piece of fabric- one layer- quick to dry and so easy to clean. They can be folded in various ways to accomodate every size child- though they will probably be a bit bulky on a newborn. If you get tired of the plain white color- they can be dyed or you can buy them pre-dyed. They are also SUPER inexpensive.

Another reason I am using flats is because, IMHO, they are the most environmentally friendly. With fitted diapers, I had found that they take a lot of extra care in washing- sometimes with fitted diapers you need specific routines to get them clean- first a cold wash, with detergent and bac out, then a hot wash with detergent and vinegar, then another rinse cycle to get rid of all detergent build up- becuase the build up of detergent on diapers is NOT good- it can cause them to smell reallly bad and some mom's find their babe's buns get rashes from the build up....ugh! So, personally, i would MUCH rather wash a flat that has just one simple layer of fabric and cut my wash time drastically (which cuts the amt of water and energy used to clean) and the drying time is NOTHING in comparison to fitted diapers (and even prefolds and pocket inserts can take what seems like FOREVER to dry)- which also reduces energy consumption. AND- not to mention, the less time you spend "tending" to your diapers, the more time you can focus on connecting with your baby!

Ok, sorry, I tend to go off when it comes to this subject.

But, anyway, wanted to offer that up as food for thought- only b/c I personally know how it is to get caught up in the whole "cute diaper" rage. BTDT!!

Personally, i think that babies look cutest in white flat pinned diapers with a tee shirt. Something so pure and natural about the more simple systems.

Hope that helped somewhat mama!!
Good luck!!
xoxo

Shane mama to three boys!! Wife to an amazing man.
#18 of 45 Old 07-26-2008, 10:46 PM

I'm new to this too!

My mom got me this gift set as a starter stash - in the medium sizes. I also bought some newborn sizes from a neighbor....listen to what I got for $25!

SIX bummis super whisper wraps
Two kissaluvs fitted
One kissaluv doubler
Two prefolds
Six gDiapers covers
An almost full bag of 40 gDiapers

I'm not going to stress too much about having a stash on hand when she gets here. I'm going to focus on BFing first then work CDing in. So if we end up using 'sposies for the first couple of weeks, I'm okay with that. I didn't want to invest in a ton of diaper sand then realize I got the wrong thing or they didn't work for us. So I'm going to start small and then once I get some personal preferences, I'll buy more of those.

kati , wife to josh , mama to j&d (7.31.07) marion (9.18.08), feeder of nanuq and gracie lou
#19 of 45 Old 07-27-2008, 01:44 AM

Shane, since I'm NOT a CD novice, I'm interested in trying flats. As a novice, I wanted it to be as much like "normal" diapers as possible, but I can totally see the appeal of flats now. Where do you get yours? I haven't seen the Gerber birdseye flats in ages and I'm not sure if that's what I'd want anyway (although at least they are all cotton!). And do you Snappi them? Because after sticking Samuel once when he was about 3 weeks old, I just DON'T do pins.

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#20 of 45 Old 07-27-2008, 01:51 AM

Charmie, Firefly Diapers has flats. They're a local-to-me company, too. I've also seen them on DiaperSwappers, my new favorite place to buy things . . . .

#21 of 45 Old 07-27-2008, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Small, 14" x 10", $5.50 each
Medium, 14" x 17", $6.50 each
Large, 14" x 22", $7.50 each
Hmm...yeah...maybe I'll sew some of my own up . I bet a birdseye/OBV flat would be a nice diaper and I have the OBV. The birdseye would be snappi-able, too, which is uber important .

#22 of 45 Old 07-27-2008, 02:33 AM

Yeah, Firefly ain't cheap. Making your own sounds like a great idea!

#23 of 45 Old 07-27-2008, 02:59 AM

I am sooooo confussed that despite the fact i really want to CD this baby, it is all soooo overwhelming and makes me want to go with disposables !

First, I cant decide on the size i need... a few people have told me the best thing to do is go with prefolds and diaper covers... but with those do i need the newborn or infant size?? are they as good as the fitted diapers? will they work for night time??

i was thinking that I would do prefolds and covers until about 10-15 lbs (which btw i have NO CLUE how old a baby is at that weight) and then switch to pocket diapers

i would love it if someone could just break it down for me... gimme a shopping list and tell me at what age i will need to get bigger sizes etc...

i dont mind making a large diaper purchase, but i dont want to have to do that if the baby will outgrow them in 1 or 2 months.... thats why i was thinking prefolds at first so when i purchase fitted or pocket diapers they can use them for a while.

and one more thing... what about the diaper pail?? do i need to rinse first? can i just throw them into a machine and soak in water??

Faiza married and with , mama to DS (09.23.08) and with #2 (due in June 2010).
#24 of 45 Old 07-27-2008, 08:41 AM

MuslimMama-Here's my breakdown:

Diapers are a personal thing. Every baby and every mama has their personal preference. Well babies don't have a preference, they just fit better in different brands. I started CD DS at about 7 months. I used mostly pockets, and love them, but I feel that the fitteds and covers work best. My suggestion would be to get a trial pack like they have at Jillians Drawers or the one at Thanks Mama. It has a little bit of everything so you can try different methods. In the end many people use a variety of methods. I have everything from prefolds to fitteds/covers to pockets for this new baby.

As for sizes, most of this baby's diapers are a small, with a few (depending on the brand) being Newborn. My prefolds are infant size (or the smallest size above premie). I figured I can just fold down the excess.

What age you need bigger diapers depends on how fast your baby grows. Some babies are 15 lbs at 4 months, some at 2 months. It just depends. No way to determine that until baby gets here.

If you don't want to have to buy as many diapers for different sizes, try one-size diapers. You can buy both fitteds and pockets in one-size. Goodmama, and I believe Mutts are 2 fitteds that are one-size. Bum Genius, Happy Heiny, and I think Haute Pockets make one-size pockets.

I never bought smalls for DS since he was already 7 months when I started. He still wears mostly mediums with a large in certain brands. He's 32 months now. So when your baby gets here, once he fits in the mediums, he'll probably be in them for a while.

As for the diaper pail, BF poop does not need to be rinsed. Just toss it in the pail. I got a large flip top trash barrel from Target and put a WAHMies barnd pail liner in. Then I dump it all out in the washing machine and throw the liner in as well. They won't need to be rinsed until baby is eating solids. At that point, you can get a little hose that attaches to the toilet to rinse off the poo.

I hope that helps to answer your questions somewhat. Diaper Swappers is a great place to buy diapers and not have to spend as much. This way you can try different brands without such a big investment.

Me+DH (2006)
DS (2005)
DD (2008)
#25 of 45 Old 07-27-2008, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmie981 View Post
Shane, since I'm NOT a CD novice, I'm interested in trying flats. As a novice, I wanted it to be as much like "normal" diapers as possible, but I can totally see the appeal of flats now. Where do you get yours? I haven't seen the Gerber birdseye flats in ages and I'm not sure if that's what I'd want anyway (although at least they are all cotton!). And do you Snappi them? Because after sticking Samuel once when he was about 3 weeks old, I just DON'T do pins.
Hey Charmie!!
I bought mine at Green Mountain diapers.
http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/diapers.htm#flat
I just checked and they are out of stock till September.
I have heard wonderful things about Little Lions flat diapers, and I am pretty sure they come in an unbleached version- http://little-lions.com/page47a.html

I have not tried the Little lions, but I am very interested in doing so! Unbleached material tends to be softer than "bleached" (I do not think that Green Mountains are actually made white by bleaching, I think they are made white by another process, but someone can correct me if I am wrong)

Anyway- the downside to unbleached diapers is they take a lot longer to break in- meaning you need to wash them in HOT water and dry them on HOT say 8 times, where to break in "bleached" diapers, you need to wash/dry 3 or 4 times. But, once the unbleached are broken in, they are wonderful.

I would also try posting on Diaperswappers- their ISO list. I have had wonderful luck getting GMD flats and prefolds there really cheap! The only downfall is you really have to keep up with bumping your post because the boards there move supre quick. But, you may be able to find some LL unbleached flats already broken in, and some GMD flats- that way you can have a few to try and make a decision from there.

PM me if you have any other questions-
xoxo

Oh- and yes! I do snappi's! I could not live without them!!

Shane mama to three boys!! Wife to an amazing man.
#26 of 45 Old 07-27-2008, 11:19 AM

Clue me in please

Are flats and prefolds the same thing? If not, what's the difference?

Muslimmama - The reason I've heard to do prefolds and covers over AIOs (all in ones, the ones that look and act like disposables) are that prefolds and covers last a lot longer and are a lot easier to maintain than AIOs. I plan on line drying (gotta use that Texas heat somehow!) and prefolds just seem to be a better idea, for our family as well.

Here's a good thread on that...
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=938464

kati , wife to josh , mama to j&d (7.31.07) marion (9.18.08), feeder of nanuq and gracie lou
#27 of 45 Old 07-27-2008, 02:18 PM

THANKS! emmski & joshs_girl!

joshs_girl... what type of prefolds are you buying? bleached? unbleached? indian or chinese? are you starting out with infant size?

Faiza married and with , mama to DS (09.23.08) and with #2 (due in June 2010).
#28 of 45 Old 07-27-2008, 03:11 PM

Honey, I have no idea!

The two I bought from a neighbor, I have no idea what they are. The ones that came in my sampler pack are CPs and are the infant size. I'm waiting to hear back from a friend of mine who has a bunch I'm trying to get her to sell to me and see what all she has.

I'm probably going to skip the newborn sizes though and just try to get away with infant and up - since I have no idea how big she'll be or how long she'll stay that way. If I can get some used, I most definitely will buy them, but if I'm trying to limit what I buy in tiny sizes new.

#29 of 45 Old 07-27-2008, 03:14 PM

Here's a good thread on prefolds and how many and what sizes

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=938325

#30 of 45 Old 07-27-2008, 04:29 PM

I am planning on CD and this is my first. I have been trying to talk with others who are CD. My cousin has been CD for a while and she really likes FB. My plan is to wait for him to get here and then try both FB and I have been interested in trying Bum Genius. I am going to do disposables for the first few weeks and try the few diapers I have and then stock up. I am registared for CD but so far no one has gotten me any. I think that is because most people who find out we are cloth diapering act like I am crazy and that I will never keep up with it. The website that I registared at has free shipping www.momsmilkboutique.com and I have found so good info on www.cottonbabies.com

Chelsey Married to my Wonderful Husband Devin: Mama to James 9.7.08wild.gif , Joy 5.19.10 energy.gifTitus 3.37.12 biggrinbounce.gif10/07angel.gif  Macy dog2.gif : Expecting #4 belly.gif in August

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page