Contraception after baby..anyone thinking about it? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 07-21-2008, 09:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Still not sure... we were planning on the big- V but now aren't so sure. I'm still young (early 30s) and I'd hate to completely shut the door to a 3rd kid- just in case I win the lottery or go crazy.
I'm not good on hormonal BC either, so the pill and mirena are out.

modern-mama to DS (5.16.05) and DD (9.11.08) and one more (GIRL!) coming in December
#32 of 42 Old 07-22-2008, 03:34 AM

Isn't there a non-hormonal Mirena? I'm sure I've heard there is.

Mother. Doula. Writer. Feminist. Activist. 
Mum to Moo Moo (4) blahblah.gifand EJ (2) bftoddler.gif

#33 of 42 Old 07-22-2008, 12:47 PM

I am sticking to condoms after this one, as we plan on me getting preggo again about 9 months to a year after this one is born. Long story short, this was SUPPOSED to be another surrogate baby for my friends but after a year and a half of her dh being deployed and set back after set back, we ended up pregnant on our own. So yeah, I still owe her a baby! I *may* do the pill for a few months just cause dh absolutely HATES condoms, but thats it.

After surro baby #2, I'm getting an IUD put in. I'm not so sure that I dont want anymore that I'll get my tubes tied at this point, but I also dont want anymore for a looooong time regardless

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10
#34 of 42 Old 07-22-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalemilk View Post
Anyone know how Mirena works with nursing? I'm freaked out by the idea of any artificial hormones (have disagreed with me in the past) but was curious about that one.

Most docs are willing to put it in after 6 weeks and most women do not have trouble with it affecting breastmilk. Offically, the WHO recommends avoiding any hormonal BC options, including Mirena, until 6 months postpartum. With Mirena most of the hormones are absorbed locally in your uterous and ovaries versus systemically in your whole body like the pill, so women tend to have less side effects like nausea, emotional changes etc.
#35 of 42 Old 07-22-2008, 02:01 PM

Preface
I spent several years as a public health nurse working with pregnant women and new families. I talked about birth control on a daily basis. I carried aroud what I fondly referred to as my "birth control action pack" to demonstrate all kinds of birth control methods. All of the information below is well researched and combines my nursing and lactation consultant expereince. With birth control there are a few main things to remember:
1. If you don't like it and won't use it, it won't work.
2. Every method of birth control can fail.
3. Every method of birth control has a horror story inevitably about a cousin's friend... "My cousin gained 70 pounds on depo" "My friend had a baby with an IUD in its head" etc etc

Female Sterilization
"Getting your tubes tied" permanent BC done under anesthesia where the fallopian tubes are generally cut and then sealed off. No organs are removed so you will continue to have periods and hormonal changes. The egg and the sperm simply can't meet. Safe with breastfeeding. A more involved operation than a male sterilization. Should not be considered reversible.
Male Sterilization
"Vasectomy" the vas deferens is cut and ligated so that semen does not contain sperm. A man will still be able to ejaculate and have an erection. Generally done with a local anesthetic (they numb the area like at the dentist) in a physician's office. Very safe and highly effective. Requires a semen analysis after 20 ejaculations/12 weeks to confirm there are no sperm. Safe with breastfeeding.
Note: Vasectomies can be reversed although its effective only about half of the time and rarely covered by insurance.
Birth Control Pills
Combined oral contraceptives have both estrogen and progesterone. If taken daily as prescribed they are very effective. Side effects include nausea, breast tenderness, mood changes etc generally side effects lessen over the first few months. The World Health Orgnaization (WHO) recommends delaying combined oral contraceptive use in breastfeeding mothers until 6 months postpartum
Progestin only oral contraceptives (the minipill) have less hormones and generally less side effects than the combo pills. they are not quite as effective as the regular pill. However they need to be taken daily at the same time (with a 3 hour timeframe) to be efective. Safe in breastfeeding mothers after 6 weeks postpartum.
Depot Medroxyprogesterone/DPMA
Depot is a shot given every 12-13 weeks. Because it takes "user error" out of the picture it is over 99.7% effective. Many women have irregular bleeding the first 6 months on depot and then cease having periods. Can delay the return of fertility for up to 18 months after stopping use. Safe for breastfeeding at 6 weeks postpartum.
Other hormonal BC
The patch and nuvaring are alternate ways to take combined estrogen and progesterone contraceptives. Some women who forget a pill everyday like only having to thing about birth control once a week or month. They are as effective as BCP with similar side effects. WHO Considers them safe in breastfeeding moms after 6 months postpartum.
Intra-uterine Devices/IUDs
IUDs are long-term reversible birth control. They are plastic T shaped devices inserted into your uterous by your doctor. there is a sting attatched that hangs into the top of your vagina so the device can be removed. Women at risk for STDs should not get an IUD as it increases the risk of pelvic inflammatory disease. Some women with fibroids or different uterine shaping may not be able to use the IUD
The copper IUD (paraguard) can stay in place for 10-12 years, but can be removed at any time without a delay in fertility. Side effects include heavier bleeding and cramping with periods. It can be inserted immediately after delivery or after 6 weeks postpartum. Safe in breastfeedng moms.
The levonrgestrel IUD (mirena) contains hormones and can stay in place for up to 5 years. Most women have lighter periods and less cramping and some women stop having periods with Mirena. There is still a question as when Mirena is safe for breastfeeding mothers....most women who have it inserted after 6 weeks postpartum do not have problems although some sources recommend waiting until 6 months.
Exclusive Breastfeeding/Lactational Amenorhea
Breastfeeding delays the return of ovulation and can be considered a form of birth control if all of the following 3 conditions are met:
1. A woman is less than 6 months postpartum
2. A woman has not resumed periods (is amenorrheic)
3. the baby does all of its suckling at the breast (no pacifiers, no bottles...)

Other Birth control
Of course there are barrier methods like condoms, diaphragms and sponges all safe with breastfeeding and there are fertility awareness methods too....just thought I'd give the basics on the ones there seem to be more questions about...
#36 of 42 Old 07-22-2008, 02:31 PM
Banned

*sigh* I really wish there was a non-copper non-hormone IUD. I'm just too nervous given my past experience with hormonal BC to go for the Mirena, but we really want to just throw caution to the wind for a couple years, lol. I'm so tired of dealing with charting and barriers.
#37 of 42 Old 07-22-2008, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephck View Post
Preface
Exclusive Breastfeeding/Lactational Amenorhea
Breastfeeding delays the return of ovulation and can be considered a form of birth control if all of the following 3 conditions are met:
1. A woman is less than 6 months postpartum
2. A woman has not resumed periods (is amenorrheic)
3. the baby does all of its suckling at the breast (no pacifiers, no bottles...)
Everything I've ever read adds a 4th requirement:
4. Baby nurses a minimum of every 4 hours during the day and every 6 hours at night.

And remember, a thumb or finger sucking baby doesn't meet requirement #3, even if he doesn't take any artificial nipples

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#38 of 42 Old 07-23-2008, 05:01 AM

There's a thread in the dads forum right now about vasectomies. Apparently there are some really nasty potential side effects! Definitely something to look into.
#39 of 42 Old 07-23-2008, 09:50 AM

We'll probably continue with the withdrawal method that worked for us for several years. Not always the most fun, but works for us...
#40 of 42 Old 07-23-2008, 09:58 AM

Dh had a V last week, so hopefully that's the last we have to think about it!
#41 of 42 Old 07-23-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paquerette View Post
There's a thread in the dads forum right now about vasectomies. Apparently there are some really nasty potential side effects! Definitely something to look into.
oh that sucks. we aren't going that route b/c we know of a few V babies and i dont want to have surgery so i cant expect him to want to either.
#42 of 42 Old 07-23-2008, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paquerette View Post
Weird thing I remember from my childhood... I was 6 or 7... my dad had gotten a V after my baby sister was born. The stiches tore and he almost bled to death. This was back when the short OP shorts were really popular with guys and he was wearing white ones when it started (every girls period nightmare I'm sure). My mom barely got him to the ER in time. Another random thing is that my dad is immune to novacaine and all the other numbing drugs. I honestly can't believe he went through with the surgery! I guess four kids was enough to make him do it though.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page