After-Baby Freezer Meal Ideas - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-25-2008, 09:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for the pointers! I'm going to start my list and hopefully start cooking this week!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2008, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, so I did not read through all the posts, but here is what I did. Most of my casseroles make more than just two servings, sometimes 8, so, I bought the disposable square cake pans and split my casseroles, maybe making just a tad bit more to fill it. Some of my meals I just made for our regular menu right now and doubled or tripled it. Here is my list:

4 Frozen pizza doughs (I freeze mine right before the rise stage, it saves on space in the freezer and as it is thawing it rises somewhat) This is an awesome ww pizza dough. No oil needed. It is so good!
1 Enchilito's (a enchilada/burrito combo)
3 Monterey Beans and Cheese with Rice (this has no meat and can be frozen without the rice) This can be made without bacon. You can use chopped tomatoes, about two med/large ones in place of the tomato sauce. This is very filling.
2 Crusty Mexican Bean Bake
2 Cottage Cheese Casserole
1 Tangy Tuna Mac
2 Layered Zucchini
2 Beef Tamale Bake This can be made with TVP or ground turkey.
2 Thick Minestrone Soup

So far I just need to make the enchilito's and the minestrone. I have put up about 15 quarts of green beans and am buying up frozen veggies for sides. I have about 15 loaves of bread frozen (although we pull them out as we need them, so I'll need to be making more here after bit.)

Also with the zucchini we've been getting in I made a great zucchini chocolate cake and some breads for desserts after baby.

And most of the bean recipes call for kidney, I subbed pinto and black, they have more iron, which I need now and after baby is born. They taste the same.

I made a large batch of brown rice and froze in 2 cup servings, enough for one meal for two adults and a toddler. I plan on each meal having the casserole, bread, veggie and dessert. It won't be fancy, but it will be healthy and filling. I labeled what it was, how to reheat it, what to do to it when reheating, so that whoever would be able to do it. I figure if I pull it out the night before it will be defrosted by the next night for supper. I hope this works!

Kathryn, Wife to Andrew, Mama to Nadia (5) and Rhys (2)
Old 08-25-2008, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter

I'm starting to feel a little out-of-control. I added it up and in the last 24 hours, I have cooked 14 meals, 12 of which I have put up. Okay, that's great. Except that now I've started on a double batch of two different kinds of soups, which will bring my total up to 18 meals in 24 hours. I need to stop, and I know it, but I can't .

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
Old 08-25-2008, 11:24 PM

In this day and age of acid reflux diagnoses, is anyone concerned about meals with beans and dairy?(I know that these two things are sometimes linked to gassiness in baby and are often the first things to get cut out of your diet when breastfeeding) Beans and dairy are my go-to foods, but after baby #2 and some colicky issues, I'm a little worried about my diet!
Old 08-25-2008, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristina47454 View Post
In this day and age of acid reflux diagnoses, is anyone concerned about meals with beans and dairy?(I know that these two things are sometimes linked to gassiness in baby and are often the first things to get cut out of your diet when breastfeeding) Beans and dairy are my go-to foods, but after baby #2 and some colicky issues, I'm a little worried about my diet!
It has crossed my mind that I'm making all of these meals and my child may not tolerate me eating them. I'm just going to hope that's not the case!!!! I've not had a baby with dietary issues before, so I'm thinking my hope might not be unfounded...

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
Old 08-25-2008, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmie981 View Post
I'm starting to feel a little out-of-control. I added it up and in the last 24 hours, I have cooked 14 meals, 12 of which I have put up. Okay, that's great. Except that now I've started on a double batch of two different kinds of soups, which will bring my total up to 18 meals in 24 hours. I need to stop, and I know it, but I can't .
Hello my name is Charlotte and I am a freezer feeding addict.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step.

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
Old 08-26-2008, 01:27 AM

really dorky question here: as I understand it from this thread (no WAY am I sorting through the 48 pager in meals!)...

Already cooked ingredients = Freeze unbaked (lasagna, most casseroles, enchiladas)
Raw ingredients = Bake first, THEN freeze (egg casseroles, quiches)

So which is chicken pot pie? The first, right? Except how does that dough freeze? [hmm, as i think about this, i am remembering that supermarkets sell chik pot pie unbaked, so it's probably that...]

Also, Charmie, you posted a link to a couple recipes ("dump") for chicken marinades that look good and easy. But it wasn't clear to me: are those just raw chicken in the marinade, frozen?
Old 08-26-2008, 03:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xochimama View Post
Also, Charmie, you posted a link to a couple recipes ("dump") for chicken marinades that look good and easy. But it wasn't clear to me: are those just raw chicken in the marinade, frozen?

Yep, it's raw (fresh) chicken, put into a baggie with seasonings and frozen. This is actually one of my favorite things for the freezer and DH and I used to do it every grocery trip after Samuel was born, before we got into the habit of buying flash frozen chicken instead of the fresh stuff. It's great b/c he can pull it out and grill it. Add some rice or pasta and a frozen veggie *or* put it on top of a salad and you have a meal....easy.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:34 AM

It had crossed my mind about the dairy and beans being an issue in bfing. I had to cut dairy with my daughter. I guess I'll just deal with it if it becomes a problem. I'm hoping not, though.

Kathryn, Wife to Andrew, Mama to Nadia (5) and Rhys (2)
Old 08-27-2008, 12:01 AM

Bumping so this doesn;t get buried!
Old 08-27-2008, 01:25 AM

I think even if I couldn't eat some of the food just knowing everyone else in the family is taken care of would be ok too.

I've been freezing any leftovers. I made a huge pot of chicken soup and froze it in the 1 qt bags.

We eat a lot of beans - super easy for either just pinto beans and cheese -- I cook them long enough that they are very similar to refried beans and just plain yummy. The kids love them in a bowl with shredded cheese on top or they are great as a side or refried a bit for tostadas. Fry up some corn tortillas add some toppings - quick and easy meal even Daddy can handle just flat frying corn tortillas or make burritos with flour tortillas.

Hamburger cooked with diced potatoes - kids love this in burritos or just with ketchup and having it just ready to heat up is so easy. I need to make way more of this, but it's not that hard to make real quick if I need to.

Mom and I froze up a bunch of green chile. I only bought mild to medium so I everyone in my house can handle eating it no problem. Makes a nice addition to soups and adds great nutrition to simple meals. We only did that now because it's the season for it.

I still want to make banana zucchini chocolate bread - a ton of it if I can, but want to coordinate it with a big baking time so I only heat up the house once. I make it with chocolate chips and the kids think they are eating like the most decadent dessert ever which is great because it's fully of fruit/veggies/nuts and just a teeny bit of chocolate chips lol.

I don't know about everyone else, but we have a lot to feed around here so I'm not just doing freezer stuff. I've also stocked up on the large cans/containers of food like peaches, hominy, roast beef, chicken, tuna, tomato sauce, noodles, pasta sauce, whole tomatoes, animal crackers, bread, etc. I'm stocked on fresh veggies, fruits, and staples like noodles, rice, potatoes too.

I've been writing down what my kids like to eat so whoever is around knows that whatever is on the list the kids will actually eat. Thankfully at least my mom will be be around to help for the first few weeks on and off : Anyone else feeding large families?

7th Heaven here we come! Due date early May
Old 08-28-2008, 03:01 PM

Ok, I really like the idea of doing this and I'm in nesting mode today so I think I'd like to hit the grocery store and then try cooking. Here's the thing though...

I am a crappy cook!! Seriously though- DH is the cook in our family and I really don't do much. Can anyone suggest a few *easy* recipes I can do?

Thanks!!

modern-mama to DS (5.16.05) and DD (9.11.08) and one more (GIRL!) coming in December
Old 08-28-2008, 04:20 PM

moderngal - how about macaroni & cheese?

Here is what I've done this week - and it makes me so happy!! Thanks for the ideas and recipes - I think most of them are from this thread!

Mac & cheese x 4
Monterey Beans & Cheese x 2
Bean burritos x 2
Breakfast Casserole x 2
Blueberry Muffins x 2
French Toast x 2

Today I'm going to make a double batch of orange sherbet and harvest all of the basil from my garden for pesto (I just put this in a jar int he fridge, with a layer of olive oil on top - stays bright green and very fresh forever!! I think I leave out the parm. cheese when I do this, but I can't remember). I'd also like to cook some beans, rice, and lentils to freeze. Then I need to make a trip to the grocery store for the next round. Although I've had some loose stools (sorry - probably tmi in this thread) and am feeling worn out so maybe this baby is coming soon??
Old 08-28-2008, 08:37 PM

Ok. I'm trying this. But like I said, I am so not a cook so I told my husband no guarantees.

I made these mini meatballs which were super easy to do.

I have the stuff to make mac-n-cheese and this taco filling for taco salad. I'll try and do one of these later tonight and the other tomorrow.

I'm also going to make and freeze some pancakes tomorrow. I usually freeze some every time I make them for DS because he loves them and it's a PITA to make them every time he wants them. Anyway- they are very good, so I'll make a bunch for all of us, too.

I also bought some frozen chicken pot pies to have around, too. I was inspired by this thread- although not enough to actually make them. But it'll definitely be a good addition to our stockpile.

modern-mama to DS (5.16.05) and DD (9.11.08) and one more (GIRL!) coming in December
Old 09-01-2008, 01:39 AM

Cooking extravaganza has just ended here. Tonight I made and froze:
  • a batch of potato soup (DH ate some and liked it! That's a good sign from a picky omnivore.)
  • a chik'n pot pie (thanks for the recipe, Alyssa!)
  • a rice and bean casserole
  • a batch of lactation cookies (they still work and taste good even if you make substitutions for sugar, eggs, choco chips, butter, etc.)

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

Old 09-01-2008, 01:57 AM

So far I've got a VERY random (and now crowded) freezer:

-lasagna
-pesto
-lentils
-zucchini cheddar bread

I'd really like to get some soups in there...not sure what else will fit, though. We have a tiny freezer that's already packed with green chile (yum!) and basic freezer stuff that I like to keep on hand at all times: nuts, cranberries, butter, some frozen chicken breasts... I may have to do some purging of older stuff...
Old 09-01-2008, 03:11 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm hoarding green chile in my freezer too... and soy ice cream, which CANNOT be displaced with frozen meals for after baby comes

Anyway, I'm thinking I'll make some green chile stew, banana bread (wonder if that freezes well?), cornbread (w/green chile, of course), and maybe some vegan chili w/lots of TVP. Potato soup sounds great, VeganCupcake - I think I'll make some of that also! Thanks for the idea!

Vegan mama to DD (9/08), DS (9/11), and many rescued furbabies. 

Old 09-01-2008, 03:17 AM

VeganCupcake~ can you please post the recipe for the lactation cookies?

I have finished mac-n-cheese, taco filling, meatballs, and pancakes. Also have ravioli, pesto, pizza, and chicken pot pie in there, too. I made cupcakes the other day, too (red velvet with cream cheese icing) and froze a few of those for later.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:55 AM

Anyone have a good mac and cheese recipe?

Me+DH (2006)
DS (2005)
DD (2008)
Old 09-01-2008, 02:42 PM

Lactation Cookie recipe

They seem to be very forgiving, so feel free to make lots of substitutions! I veganized and unsugared mine.

Old 09-01-2008, 05:34 PM

emski4379 this is the recipe I used. it was pretty easy and the little sauce I sampled was great. Mac-n-cheese

Thanks for the cookie recipe.

Old 09-01-2008, 06:08 PM

I'm thinking that I could make just about any baked good into lactation muffins/bread/etc., just by using oat flour and brewer's yeast, right? Those are the key ingredients, as far as I can tell. I may make some pumpkin "lactation" muffins today if I can work up the energy to do it.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm thrilled I got some stuff in the freezer. I did some BBQ beef, taco meat, meatloaf and chicken enchilada filling. I have a store bought lasagna and meatballs in there as well. I still have chicken to marinade and freeze today and I think that's likely going to be it. My freezer's very close to full!

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
Old 09-01-2008, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moderngal View Post
emski4379 this is the recipe I used. it was pretty easy and the little sauce I sampled was great. Mac-n-cheese

Thanks for the cookie recipe.
I got this post in my inbox (subbed) before you edited... I want this man-n-cheese recipe! :

I'm a proud mama of two girls! 4/30/06 Madeline, 09/25/08 Amelia
--**I'm here to share my mistakes and learn from yours**--
Old 09-01-2008, 11:09 PM

Quote:
I got this post in my inbox (subbed) before you edited... I want this man-n-cheese recipe!
hahaha!! well you know those end of pregnancy hormones... : besides- and man and some cheese would probably help soften the cervix.

DH is so excited by all the stuff I froze that he was inspired to make his awesome pasta sauce tonight for freezing purposes. He sat with me at the kitchen bar area while I cooked last night and I did the same tonight. It's been really nice after DS goes to bed to do something other than lounge or watch TV together. We talked about buying a separate freezer so that we could do more of this kind of thing on an ongoing basis. Plus it would be better for my stash of pumped milk.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:50 AM

Yummmm, man and cheese! Two of my favorite things . . . .

I did manage to make some pumpkin "lactation" muffins. They didn't rise very much, but they taste pretty good.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:57 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
VeganCupcake - For those oatmeal lactation cookies, do you use old fashioned or quick oats? I'm seriously thinking about picking up some Brewer's yeast to whip up a batch....

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
Old 09-04-2008, 12:01 AM

I used old fashioned oats because that was what I had. I don't know if it would make a difference or not!

Old 09-04-2008, 01:10 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I used quick oats and they came out great!

I also used egg replacer, and nutritional yeast instead of brewer's yeast. I'm wondering if nutritional yeast has the same milk-enhancing properties as brewer's yeast does...? It was all I had on hand.

Vegan mama to DD (9/08), DS (9/11), and many rescued furbabies. 

Old 09-04-2008, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngsoul View Post
I used quick oats and they came out great!

I also used egg replacer, and nutritional yeast instead of brewer's yeast. I'm wondering if nutritional yeast has the same milk-enhancing properties as brewer's yeast does...? It was all I had on hand.
From what I understand, brewer's yeast is a type of nutritional yeast--or is it the other way around? Their characteristics are pretty similar, nutritionally. I used nutritional yeast, too. Mmmm, lactation!

User Tag List