After-Baby Freezer Meal Ideas - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 111 Old 09-04-2008, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks, ladies! I'll just use whatever kind of oats that are in my pantry.

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
#92 of 111 Old 09-04-2008, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've done a couple of big dinners and frozen half. So far I have:

soup (homemade chicken bone broth, black beans, frozen veggie "soup mix")
hungarian goulash (stewed/shredded beef, tons of paprika, buckwheat kasha. add sour cream when serving)

I hope to do some more next weekend, on limited groceries until then!
#93 of 111 Old 09-04-2008, 02:20 PM

I bought some frozen garlic bread yesterday. I know- not a recipe and probably chock full of yummy chemicals, but it'll be easy and delicious with our Italian meals. I'm thinking of heating up a slice now. :

modern-mama to DS (5.16.05) and DD (9.11.08) and one more (GIRL!) coming in December
#94 of 111 Old 09-04-2008, 04:05 PM
J2

When do you freeze the zucchini beef bake? Before or after it has cooked? I am making this tonight and will make 2 so I can freeze one.
#95 of 111 Old 09-04-2008, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Added to my freezer today:

6 servings of chicken & apples
12 servings of Cola & Lime pork roast
6 of BBQ pulled pork for sandwiches (plus the buns)
6 servings of glazed pork chops
18 servings of pot roast and mashed potatoes (I'll eat a different veggie, everyone else can have the potatoes)
6 servings of BBQ chicken
6 servings of cheese manicotti
6 servings of spice-rubbed sirloin
6 apple dumplings

Ok, this wasn't all done from scratch, completely. We booked a session at Dream Dinners. : But we'll be ready when the baby gets here!

We've also got a bunch of breakfast stuff in the freezer that we either made ourselves or picked up pre-frozen at the grocery store. I'm planning to make a batch of biscuits for the freezer this weekend (hopefully I'll still have room!).

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!
#96 of 111 Old 09-05-2008, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moderngal View Post
I bought some frozen garlic bread yesterday. I know- not a recipe and probably chock full of yummy chemicals, but it'll be easy and delicious with our Italian meals. I'm thinking of heating up a slice now. :
I purchased so many boxes of the 5 minute bake type. I'm sure it's not healthy at all, but it's quick and the kids love it and it makes spaghetti so much better at our house! Hey it has garlic! lol

7th Heaven here we come! Due date early May
#97 of 111 Old 09-05-2008, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderdust View Post
Added to my freezer today:

6 servings of chicken & apples
12 servings of Cola & Lime pork roast
6 of BBQ pulled pork for sandwiches (plus the buns)
6 servings of glazed pork chops
18 servings of pot roast and mashed potatoes (I'll eat a different veggie, everyone else can have the potatoes)
6 servings of BBQ chicken
6 servings of cheese manicotti
6 servings of spice-rubbed sirloin
6 apple dumplings

Ok, this wasn't all done from scratch, completely. We booked a session at Dream Dinners. : But we'll be ready when the baby gets here!

We've also got a bunch of breakfast stuff in the freezer that we either made ourselves or picked up pre-frozen at the grocery store. I'm planning to make a batch of biscuits for the freezer this weekend (hopefully I'll still have room!).
Was the cola and lime recipe from dream dinners or can you share the recipe?

7th Heaven here we come! Due date early May
#98 of 111 Old 09-05-2008, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foogoomomma View Post
Was the cola and lime recipe from dream dinners or can you share the recipe?
It was all from Dream Dinners... but you might be able to mock up a similar one!

Ginger, lime juice, garlic, cola, salt & pepper, bay leaf (I think), dijon mustard, maybe some thyme, and some vinegar (and maybe a little hot sauce) are in the marinade.

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!
#99 of 111 Old 09-05-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderdust View Post
18 servings of pot roast and mashed potatoes
Ok - I feel really silly for asking - but this sounds so good and I am so terrible at cooking meat (dh is a vegetarian, so we don't eat a ton of meat around here) that I'm hoping someone can spell out how to do this?? Spiderdust?? Anyone?? Please help!
#100 of 111 Old 09-05-2008, 03:17 PM

Oh my, there's a TON of variations on making pot roast! Here's some online recipes that I like:

http://www.elise.com/recipes/archive...7pot_roast.php (has pictures)

For a more tomato based pot roast: http://www.elise.com/recipes/archive..._pot_roast.php

Very easy pot roast: http://www.recipesecrets.com/recipeD...2330&Version=5

#101 of 111 Old 09-06-2008, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xochimama View Post
finally subbed to this thread! need to start cooking this week...

Can you freeze mashed sweet potatoes?
Popping in from the Oct. DDC...I've started freezing meals this week also but it's all the norm of what's been mentioned here.

But...I did read through the entire thread in Meal Planning that is linked in the OP and there is a recipe for frozen mashed potatoes that they say works very well. I'm sure you could just sub sweet potatoes.
#102 of 111 Old 09-07-2008, 01:24 AM

I did this before my last baby was born and it was a lifesaver having 12 meals in my freezer. This time around I was feeling no motivation to do it and since our upright freezer is in the garage with no place to plug it in I was worried about having room. However you all inspired and motivated me and I am so thankful. I cleaned out the freezer in my fridge and I spent the day cooking! So here is what I have made and plan to make.

Pesto (super easy and takes up very little room in freezer!)
Cincinati style chili
Veggie and Tofu Pot Pie
Lentil Bolognese ( GREAT nutritious recipe! Freezes great! Ask for recipe!)
Salisbury Seitan
Tofu Broccoli Rice Casserole
Quiche
#103 of 111 Old 09-07-2008, 05:56 AM
J2

What do you freeze stuff in? DH bought me an aluminum/foil type throw away dish to put stuff in and it came with clear plastic lids. They are really flimsy though and would not hold up to stacking so I just covered with foil twice and hoped that once frozen, that it would stand up to being stacked.

Any better ideas?
#104 of 111 Old 09-07-2008, 09:36 AM

A lot of my stuff is in mason jars and recycled yogurt containers. They are not the best use of space since they are round, but it's what I had on hand. If you use mason jars, be sure to leave ample space at the top or they'll crack! (Learned this one the hard way.)
#105 of 111 Old 09-07-2008, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
WOuld love the lentil recipe!:
#106 of 111 Old 09-07-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurabelle1317 View Post
What do you freeze stuff in? DH bought me an aluminum/foil type throw away dish to put stuff in and it came with clear plastic lids. They are really flimsy though and would not hold up to stacking so I just covered with foil twice and hoped that once frozen, that it would stand up to being stacked.

Any better ideas?
We used some of the aluminum pans and covered them with foil and they do stack once they are frozen. We also use leftover containers like another poster and we use freezer bags doubled up for some soups and meatballs, etc
#107 of 111 Old 09-07-2008, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurabelle1317 View Post

Any better ideas?
This is not a space-saver, really, but I bought a few small-ish ceramic and pyrex dishes with and without lids at a local thrift store. They were each $1. I had a few, too, with their own plastic fridge/freezer lids. But since I haven't frozen too much yet, and I have a chest freezer, I don't have a space problem.

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

#108 of 111 Old 09-08-2008, 01:09 AM

Here is the recipe for Lentil Bolognese. I usually serve this over whole wheat pasta with parmesean but I have also made lasagna rolls with it and eaten it all by itself! Its super yummy and very nutritious!!!!!! My kids love it too!

•1 onion, chopped
•2 garlic cloves, crushed
•2 carrots, coarsely grated
•2 celery ribs, chopped
•45 ml olive oil
•115 g red lentils
•1 (400 g) can chopped tomatoes
•30 ml tomato puree
•450 ml vegetable stock
•15 ml fresh marjoram, chopped
•salt & fresh ground pepper
METHOD
In a large saucepan, saute the onion, garlic, carrots and celery in the olive oil for about 5 minutes until they are soft. Add the lentils, tomatoes, tomato puree, stock, marjoram and seasoning. Bring the mixture to a boil then partially cover with a lid and simmer for 20-30 minutes until thick and lentils are soft.
#109 of 111 Old 09-08-2008, 09:53 AM

So, I just started making freezer stuff last week because we just picked up a chest freezer at home depot: it was 10% off and a good deal overall for a TON of storage space. My DH bought a quarter of a grass-fed organic cow from a work friend and that is taking up most of the space right now (100 pounds, all divided up into different cuts). In order to get back a little of that space I plan to make a lasagna tonight and a few shepherd's pies later this week (a lot of the beef we got is ground beef). I am also planning on making beef stew. On the non-beef front, I have made corn chowder and split pea soup. I also baked up a batch of bran muffins to go with soups. I am not a great bread baker, but am thinking about attempting to make some dinner rolls. Any suggestions for how to make frozen dinner rolls are welcome! Our Coop has been having a sale on bags of organic frozen veggies that lasts until the end of the month. Every time I go grocery shopping I add a couple bags of broccoli or mixed veggies to my cart so we will have veggies handy to go with dinner.

Mama to DD (10/8/08) and expecting someone new in November!
#110 of 111 Old 09-08-2008, 09:57 AM

I feel so lazy. LOL! I have a few things made up in the freezer, but yesterday while shopping for groceries I bought more tv dinners and pre-made things than I've ever bought in my life!!! My freezer and deep freeze are both full to the gill!!!
#111 of 111 Old 09-08-2008, 04:36 PM

There's actually a restaurant here that does casseroles that you can take and bake at home. This is their menu for September, might give you gals some last minute ideas:

Fiesta Enchiladas - Enchilada sauce and ground beef surrounds cheese and olive filled corn tortillas

Chicken Pot Pie - A double crust holds chicken and vegetables

Soprano Roll-Ups - Italian sausage, mozzarella, ricotta cheese and spinach rolled together in a pasta sheet topped with red sauce and extra mozzarella cheese

Country Chicken and Stuffing - Tender chunks of chicken combined with a creamy sauce under a layer of stuffing

Chicken Almondine - Almonds top this white wine, parmesan, green onion and Italian flavored creamy chicken and pasta dish

Caribbean Ham & Rice - Red and yellow bell peppers, black beans, and sauteed pineapple chunks compliment this dish of ham and rice mixed with mild chiles and salsa

Chicken Broccoli Pot Pie - Chicken pot pie with broccoli and cheddar cheese

Mexican Lasagna - Ground beef is seasoned with Mexican spices, layered between tortillas and enchilada sauce and cheddar cheese

Chicken Tetrazzine Crepes - mushrooms are added to a light cream sauce and combined with chicken and sliced olives, then wrapped in crepes and topped with sauce and paprika

Chicken Chalupa - chicken, diced green chilies, jack and cheddar cheese, along with a sour cream sauce are rolled up in a flour tortilla

BBQ Beef Round-Up - BBQ sauce seasoned beef and corn, under a layer of fluffy mashed potatoes topped with cheddar cheese

Vegetarian Lasagna Primavera - vegetables, lasagna pasta, and alfredo sauce layered with three kinds of cheese and topped with shredded mozzarella

Chicken Wild Rice Bake - long grain and wild rice, chicken, white sauce and onion topped with slivered almonds.

Turkey Enchiladas - seasoned ground turkey, corn tortillas and jack cheese

Chicken Broccoli Alfredo - chicken and broccoli in a creamy alfredo sauce over fettuccine topped with parmesan cheese

Deep Dish Ham Pie - cubed potatoes, sweet peas, and ham are layered with a cream sauce, seasoned with a touch of mustard and pepper and then tucked into a double crust pie

Chicken Taco Enchiladas - taco seasoned chicken, diced tomatoes, onion, ripe olives and two kinds of cheese are layered with corn tortillas

Beef Crepes - green pepper, onion, and spices combined with ground beef and tomato sauce, wrapped in crepes and covered with sauce and cheese

Louisiana Chicken with Pasta - mild cajun spices, garlic and onions season this chicken fettuccine dish

Shepherd's Pie - ground beef and mixed vegetables topped with creamy mashed potatoes and cheddar cheese

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page