Nauseous when laying on right side - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 07-25-2008, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter
J2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I usually switch sides throughout the night, but lately I get nauseous if laying on my right side and therefore have to go back to my left side, which hurts because my whole side is sore from sleeping on it which is why I usually switch sides throughout the night.

Why would I be nauseous from sleeping on my right side? It's not like I am sleeping on my back.
#2 of 11 Old 07-25-2008, 01:22 PM

Hi there! I'm new around here, due Sept 23rd.

I don't honestly know the answer to your question, but it does occur to me that the Vena Cava is on the right side. I believe it carries blood from the lower extremeties back to the heart. That is why they always recommend laying on the left side, vs either side, so that you are not restricting blood flow by laying on the right side.

Whether that has anything to do with it, I don't know but perhaps someone else does?

Good luck!

~Tracy
#3 of 11 Old 07-25-2008, 01:50 PM

When I lay on my right side I wake up choking in the middle of the night on my own stomach acid. I guess the esophagus is tilted just enough so that the stomach acid can run up my throat into my windpipe! yay! haha. So mostly I have to sleep on the left if I want to avoid choking.

Rachel lady.gif, in love with my baby girl Abigailenergy.gifborn 9/17/08!
#4 of 11 Old 07-25-2008, 02:18 PM
Banned

Your stomach is slightly to your left, so when you lay on your right side, you're more likely to experience reflux of acid or other stomach contents. The extra pressure on the stomach and intestines from pregnancy contributes to this. You might have better luck if you propped up on some pillows.
#5 of 11 Old 07-25-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalemilk View Post
Your stomach is slightly to your left, so when you lay on your right side, you're more likely to experience reflux of acid or other stomach contents. The extra pressure on the stomach and intestines from pregnancy contributes to this. You might have better luck if you propped up on some pillows.
ah ha! So that's why! I was just told by many people that laying on the left side made the esophagus higher up on the left side... which confused me cus I look at myself and don't think i lean any more to one side or the other. lol. As far as I knew my esophagus is symmetrical! lol. The stomach being to the left explains it though.

#6 of 11 Old 07-25-2008, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
J2

Thanks everyone! That's more like what it is...experiencing acid reflux more so than feeling nauseous! Now maybe I know why.

So how would I prop pillows in the correct way so that I can sleep on my right side? Where would I out them to prop myself so as not to experience this?
#7 of 11 Old 07-25-2008, 04:22 PM

I think she just means that we should try elevating our upper half of our bodies. So just more pillows under your head or something. For me, that would drive me nuts. lol. Just make it so your head is much higher than your stomach and it should work out.

You know what's funny? Despite being huge and measuring 9 months pregnant... I still wake up on my back most of the time. lol. I guess it doesn't bother my body?

#8 of 11 Old 07-25-2008, 04:45 PM
Banned

Yeah just elevate your head a little bit. How much really depends on your comfort and body. And try to wait at least a couple hours after eating before laying down, that will help too.
#9 of 11 Old 07-26-2008, 03:17 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funfunkyfantastic View Post
When I lay on my right side I wake up choking in the middle of the night on my own stomach acid. I guess the esophagus is tilted just enough so that the stomach acid can run up my throat into my windpipe! yay! haha. So mostly I have to sleep on the left if I want to avoid choking.
Oh, man! I thought I was the only one having this issue! It's scary, isn't it?

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!
#10 of 11 Old 07-27-2008, 05:26 PM

This happened to me last night. I was actually so nauseous that it woke me up. Dh brought me some Tums but it was rough going for a while and took me a while to go back to sleep.

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
#11 of 11 Old 07-27-2008, 08:22 PM

I prop myself in a somewhat sitting up position when I'm too sore on one side or the other. I've found too that if my baby feels squished I will get nauseous! He doesn't mess around!

7th Heaven here we come! Due date early May

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page