WTH is going on w/my boobs?!!!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 07-28-2008, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
They hurt soooooo bad! I am wondering what the heck they are doing in there since I have already been pg and/or BF for the past 5 1/2 yrs. Yes, the entire last 5.5 yrs!

Nipple soreness (not fun when still BF 3 y.o.) and shooting stabbing pains.

I don't remember having this much breast/nipple pain in either of my 2 pg w/my boys, and I think I would remember atleast in my second pg bc I was still BF ds1.

What is going on over here? It hurts to wear a bra, it hurts to not wear a bra, what is a girl to do?

Any insight would be helpful. TIA!

Wife to dh, Mommy to ds1 12/2002, ds2 9/2005, and ds3 9/2008.
#2 of 14 Old 07-28-2008, 06:20 PM

I don't know what to tell you, other than I have the nipple soreness, too. Especially on the left side. It's probably completely normal, but unpleasant.

My midwife once recommended that I try massaging my boobs to relieve some of the pain by increasing blood flow. I never tried it because they got better soon after.

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

#3 of 14 Old 07-28-2008, 06:22 PM

Any other symptoms?

- itchy, fever, etc

Pain all the time or only on latch on?

AP crunchy homeschooling mama to Henning (1/4/03), Connor (7/1/05) and Elijah (9/21/08) Forever holding my 3 lost little ones in my heart.
#4 of 14 Old 07-28-2008, 07:44 PM

Have you run it by your care provider? It could be normal, or it could be the beginning of mastitis or something.

One Mom, Three Kids. Life is Great.

#5 of 14 Old 07-29-2008, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

No other symptoms, and I am not making any milk, just a small amt. of clear liquid and now a little bit of colostrum.

They hurt all the time, since the beginning of my pg, and I have had mastitis and thrush before, this is different.

I have talked to my midwife about it, so basically I am just counting down the wks until babe is here and my hormones settle down.

It even hurts for water to spray my nipples in the shower. When I get a shooting pain I try to massage and it does help though. Maybe I should get some of those cold gel things you put in your bra (for after the babe is born).

I am just curious what is going on in there since it seems like all the milk ducts, connections, whatever happens in pg to prepare for BF should already be done. But I guess that's not how it works.

Wife to dh, Mommy to ds1 12/2002, ds2 9/2005, and ds3 9/2008.
#6 of 14 Old 07-29-2008, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyam926 View Post
It even hurts for water to spray my nipples in the shower.
Same here... but I think that is perfectly normal. lol.

Rachel lady.gif, in love with my baby girl Abigailenergy.gifborn 9/17/08!
#7 of 14 Old 07-29-2008, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyam926 View Post

I am just curious what is going on in there since it seems like all the milk ducts, connections, whatever happens in pg to prepare for BF should already be done. But I guess that's not how it works.
Really your body gears up each time. Even if you have tandem nursed through your whole pregnancy. The hormones at the end of pregnancy still send so many strong messages to your breasts to "prepare prepare prepare" because there is a baby on the way. I would say if you have NO other symptoms it is most likely just hormonal.

AP crunchy homeschooling mama to Henning (1/4/03), Connor (7/1/05) and Elijah (9/21/08) Forever holding my 3 lost little ones in my heart.
#8 of 14 Old 07-29-2008, 11:28 AM

It could be hormonal, but there's a part of me thinks that even a little wetness and the heat of summer, could bring on a yeast infection. (it may even just be on the surface). Try some vinegar and water on it for a couple of days and see if that helps. If so...it may be yeast!
#9 of 14 Old 08-12-2008, 08:03 PM

I had to respond to this thread as my breasts are soooo painful at the moment. My AF is due in a day or 2 and I usually get a bit of tenderness at the sides but this pain is like pregnancy pain...from deep inside and around the nipples. I hope it means Im pregnant as we have been ttc and using preseed. Has anyone else ever had this experience and then gone on to find you are pregnant .... or it was just an unusual boob pain due to pmt.??? Please tell me if you have as I dont want to get too excited before the end of the week...just in case!!!
#10 of 14 Old 08-12-2008, 08:37 PM

Mine are incredibly painful too! Full with shooting pains and then my nipples kind of sting or feel like sandpaper was rubbed on them. *wince* It hurts.
#11 of 14 Old 08-12-2008, 08:55 PM

I have had what you're describing in all three pregnancies, but just got an answer as to what is going on in my case.

Vasospasms

We are a family of Jesus loving urban-nesters living the granola life in a not-so-crunchy city.  Our kids (DS 8, DS 7, DD 4) are home birthed and educated, and we just found out that a new Little will be added to our roost mid-April '14!

#12 of 14 Old 08-12-2008, 09:02 PM

I'm still nursing my 3 1/2 y/o and over the past 24 hours my nipples are so tender...it hurts so bad when he latches on. I do have a vaginal yeast infection right now....but i know what yeast feels like on my breasts and this is not yeast on my ninnies....i think it's our body preparing for baby. It hurts to even touch them or if anything rubs up against them. Gosh i hope it doesnt feel like this when baby latches on...i'll have a cow.

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#13 of 14 Old 08-13-2008, 06:31 PM

With dd1 I had sensitive nipples (as in, didn't want the seat belt to rub them)
With dd2 when dd1 was still nursing, I had pain for 9 months
With this dc, I have had pain every day since 15weeks and it hurst most when she latches, but then also usually during nursing too. Also, if anyone bumps, grabs, rubs against, touches or looks too hard at my boobs, they hurt. I even get a painful sensation through them when I shiver!

However, I can tell you that my experience was that as soon as I delivered (I shot daggers at anyone who wanted me to use nipple stimulation during labor) the pain was gone and I didn't have any trouble with tandem nursing my 3yo and newborn. Hopefully that will be the case this time around too.

Also, for the poster who asked about breasts being able to predict pregnancy, I noticed with dd2, I leaked just a little (and dd1 was nursing but was 2+ years) and that was one indication that I was pregnant so it's possible I think that your breasts would tell you
#14 of 14 Old 08-14-2008, 03:59 PM

i'm not nursing anyone but i had sore nipples today and yesterday. like early pregnancy sore. very weird. dont remember having it before either.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page