Mothering Forum banner

Who's at term?

1K views 50 replies 38 participants last post by  Gremco 
#1 ·
Just wondering if we can start expecting some baby stories anytime soon? I'll be 37 weeks on Wednesday, but would stay home at this point as well. Despite that, I'm really not expecting this baby for another 4-5 weeks (my other 2 were nearly 42 weeks). I do have all the basic birth and baby supplies I need, though, so if babe is fully developed and ready, I wouldn't be too upset if (s)he came a bit earlier!

Anyone else think it might be sooner rather than later? Here's wishing everyone "happy labor vibes" if babe is ready, and "enjoy the rest of your pg" vibes if you or babe needs more time.

:
:
:

See less See more
#6 ·
I'll be 38 weeks on Thursday! Both of my boys were 10 days late, but for some reason I think this little one will make her appearance on/before her EDD.

#8 ·
We will be 37 weeks on friday and are down to weekly Dr's visits now....we go to the drs again today at 11:30....last visit she was were 50% effaced so it will be intresting to see if there is anymore progression. Dp last day of work is the 20th and mine the 22nd. I told dp she as to wait at least until then if she can hahaha. Our dr said he can induce when we are at 39 weeks if we havent gone by then or for sure at 40. Its so surreal to imagine that in 2 1/2 weeks I will be holding my first child!!!

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by starparticle View Post

But I would far prefer to make it to September - we are in the midst of a remodel and I'm far from ready

My due date is 9/2, though I guess with twins they say they could come anytime between now and then (or maybe after
- please, no!)

We are also finishing up a remodel though, and are staying w/ my parents. We will stay here until a couple weeks after the twins are born most likely, since the house is still a few weeks from being livable. For that reason, I wouldn't mind if they waited a couple more weeks to make their debut, but my body is SO ready!!

#10 ·
Yesterday was 36 weeks for me (which my midwife considers full- so yesterday was my go day). I can have the baby at home now. I am thinking though that it will still be another 3 weeks or so. I am guessing this babe will arrive last week of August (due technically Sept 7th but my boys were both a bit early).

#13 ·
Another one that is 37w on Wednesday!!
I'm hoping to go close to my edd, but since Wednesday is my last day of work, I'm ok going a little late, too. I'm really excited to give birth and meet this baby though, so I hope she doesn't wait too long to make her appearance.

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scalpel View Post
We will be 37 weeks on friday and are down to weekly Dr's visits now....we go to the drs again today at 11:30....last visit she was were 50% effaced so it will be intresting to see if there is anymore progression. Dp last day of work is the 20th and mine the 22nd. I told dp she as to wait at least until then if she can hahaha. Our dr said he can induce when we are at 39 weeks if we havent gone by then or for sure at 40. Its so surreal to imagine that in 2 1/2 weeks I will be holding my first child!!!
Okay, I know you weren't posting for advice, but I can't help myself.

I would definitely recommend avoiding an induction if there are no medical reasons for mom or baby. Just because your doc is willing to do it, does not make it good practice. The AVERAGE gestation for a first-time mom left to go naturally is 41 weeks and a few days. So, the average first-time mom inducing at 39-40 weeks is doing so before her baby is really ready to be born, which greatly increases your chances of having a c-section, plus increases the chances that your baby will be premature or have problems breastfeeding, etc. Here is a recent article about premature babies and the US infant-mortality rate.

http://www.time.com/time/health/arti...inline-sidebar

I would really encourage you to do some research on the risks of induction, the variability of gestation lengths, inaccuracy of due dates, and the potential effects of a c-section on your future fertility and future births. ACOG does not recommend elective inductions, nor inductions because of a suspected "big baby" or a suspected "small pelvis" or some other specious reasons docs give for doing inductions. But docs do them because it is more convenient to their schedules, and they are so routine to them. All that matters to them is a "healthy baby" and if the baby has to spend some time in the NICU first, it's no big deal, because after all we have the best technology to deal with it, and they will end up "just fine."

An excellent book I think EVERY woman giving birth in the US should read is Henci Goer's The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth. It really explains all the research about common interventions in birth and also explains the obstetrical mindset, and gives an insight into WHY so many things are done to laboring women that are not backed up by research (the short answer: fear of malpractice lawsuits).

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
(the short answer: fear of malpractice lawsuits).
Just a FWIW, in the UK there isn't a fear of lawsuits so the docs are much more likely to leave babies in that shouldn't stay in.

I think there is no middle ground, at least that I've found.

Inductions aren't always awful but should be avoided, sadly I've not avoided them both times, sometimes things aren't up to us

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scalpel View Post
Our dr said he can induce when we are at 39 weeks if we havent gone by then or for sure at 40. Its so surreal to imagine that in 2 1/2 weeks I will be holding my first child!!!
Why would you induce at 39 or 40 weeks?

#18 ·
I am nowhere NEAR 37 weeks, which is when my mw say I can stay home for the birth. I'll only be 33 weeks on Tuesday. I'm starting to feel like I'll be pg forever.

I would also avoid an induction for non-medical reasons. It hurts a lot more & is more stressful on you and the babe and you are more likely to get a c/s. I heard something recently that I really liked on this and other "routine interventions": When an intervention becomes routine (in other words there is no outstanding medical reason for the intervention) it leaves you with no benefits to the intervention, only risks.

But I could be biased since my induction failed and ended in a c/s for FTP (or failure to wait, whichever).

#25 ·
I'm jealous too! A perfect time to go clear your mind and chill out in the woods! The only thing I'd worry about is sleeping comfortably... then again, I don't sleep comfortably at home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.