Should I be allowed to drive? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-11-2008, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've noticed myself getting particularly spacey while driving....I'm thinking I need to limit my time behind the wheel! My sister said she's only had a car accident or ticket while she was pregnant or postpartum. Anyone else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 08-12-2008, 01:54 AM

Yeah, I was in minor accidents during both my second and third (this) pregnancies. But none otherwise. Neither were really my fault but maybe I have slower reaction times?
#3 of 9 Old 08-12-2008, 02:44 AM

Probably not funny but, My DH is always spacey when driving. I blame it on the ADD (which I also have.) His favorite pastime is staring out the drivers side window as he cruises down a highway or freeway or some other road you drive fast on. In fact, i'm not sure how he doesn't get in more accidents. If i wasn't there and paying attention, we would have been in way more accidents by now. I can't tell you how many times he wasn't paying attention and I had to scream at him to stop before he hit the car in front of us and he had to slam on the breaks. One time... he really wasn't paying attention and we were on a highway bridge over water... and this vehicle was stalled in the middle of the bridge. I saw it, and called his attention to it. He saw it at the last second and swerved out of the way and we did a nice little 180 in the middle of the bridge. I was SO mad at him for that. He knows he needs to pay better attention when he's driving... but refuses to do it! Pisses me off...

So anyway... moral of the story is, have a passenger that's paying attention? lol.

Rachel lady.gif, in love with my baby girl Abigailenergy.gifborn 9/17/08!
#4 of 9 Old 08-12-2008, 02:58 AM

I don't really drive all that often, though I do find myself to be more of a nervous driver when there are other adults in the car with me (NO idea why)... at least it's something you're aware of and can make a conscious effort to be more attentive...

♥ SAHM to my 5 kiddos ♥
2/01, 12/02, 4/05, 7/06 and 10/08
#5 of 9 Old 08-12-2008, 12:25 PM

I was so tired and spacey I stopped driving in January. It was also total winter here which made driving my very economy car pretty hard. Fortunately I lived (at the time) about a 10-12 minute walk from my workplace, so I just walked. I've kept that up, even after we moved about a 30 minute walk (at my slow pregnant pace) away from the yoga school I teach at and direct. I sold my car in June (only two doors, no power steering, not good for a pregnant woman). I do not feel as safe when driving. I feel like everything moves way too fast, and it feels dangerous. It does make things harder sometimes. Sometimes I borrow a car from my family or get a ride. My mother is scary to ride with, we almost got in an accident last time I rode with her, and she seemed to think it was normal. I think pregnancy gives us higher instincts to protect the baby and couples that with a sensitivity to motion that makes riding in the car a little unpleasant. Not to mention postural issues. I don't think the bucket seats and the one leg stretched out working on the pedals is good for the low back, it can bring on sciatica and it isn't good for fetal positioning either...
#6 of 9 Old 08-12-2008, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't think being pregnant alone is a good reason to stop driving. Although I do know I cannot be in the car as long as I get soooo uncomfortable.

The fact that you're aware of it should make you more vigilant to be careful & stay alert.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#7 of 9 Old 08-12-2008, 09:42 PM

I actually make DH drive almost everywhere we go.
#8 of 9 Old 08-12-2008, 09:58 PM

Driving....i just drove back from Mexico by my self with 3 kiddo's in the car....3 days of 8 hour driving.....not having the spacy problem here....ummm..thank goodness i'm still ok behind the wheel....it did get uncomfortable but i had to do it and i did and i'm ok from it.

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#9 of 9 Old 08-15-2008, 06:05 AM

Are you getting plenty of Omega 3 in your diet.

IMO from my research alot the problems during late pregnancy and post partum regarding mental capacity and depression are from insuficent Omega 3 fatty acids in the diet.

From what I've read if your not getting enough essintial fatty acids in your diet while pregnant your body starts to take them from the brain for the baby.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page