Take home outfit - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 08-13-2008, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For those of you who are giving birth in a hospital or birthing center ... what clothes will you bring your baby home in? I would like to find a special and comfy little outfit to take my baby boy home in but haven't found anything that I like very much at the usual stores (target, gymboree, the gap). Has anyone found anything cute? Or, any suggestions on where I might look for something adorable?

anthropologist mama to sweet 4-year-old boy

#2 of 26 Old 08-13-2008, 11:01 AM

We're doing something a bit fancy more than practical....family tradition. Assuming she's under 9 lbs, she's coming home in the same outfit Josh came home in. My mom is also buying her a hat and sweater and we'll pack a spare outfit in case she decided to poop all over the special outfit!

Try looking up "kissy kissy" clothes - they're pricey, but beautiful and comfy. If you want something bolder than just white, pink or blue, try looking for Zutano. And if you want something totally traditional, you can't go wrong with Feldman Brothers. Also, have a look at Janie and Jack - you can get real steals on their clearance things.

kati , wife to josh , mama to j&d (7.31.07) marion (9.18.08), feeder of nanuq and gracie lou
#3 of 26 Old 08-13-2008, 11:08 AM

Boy or girl, you can't go wrong with a white daygown.

I definitely agree that you should pack two outfits. Samuel peed on his first outfit in the hospital .

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#4 of 26 Old 08-13-2008, 11:50 AM

This is pretty adorable:
http://www.tinysprouts.com/index.php...&products_id=6
especially if you know the name

For ds, we bought him an adorable get-up from Janie and Jack last time, but I failed to consider the weather... it was about 100 degrees the day we brought him home, I just couldn't bear to put him into it He came home in a diaper, a t-shirt and booties! You will be buckling them into that little car seat for the first time too, so my advice would be to think about comfort above all.

sarah, mama to e & j 8/08, and big brother 8/06
#5 of 26 Old 08-13-2008, 12:42 PM

Anything that fits him

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10
#6 of 26 Old 08-13-2008, 12:52 PM

This adorable blue and green striped dinosaur one piece outfit, a white onesie, and my friend sent a blue/green striped hat that doesn't quite match the outfit but I enjoy it! It might be a little warm though if he comes earlier than late September but c'est la vie.
#7 of 26 Old 08-13-2008, 12:56 PM

We are bringing Orion home in a light hand knitted bunting from a friend of my mothers. I hadn't thought about a back up outfit. Thanks for mentioning that.
#8 of 26 Old 08-13-2008, 01:28 PM

We are in Texas and don't have air conditioning in the car, so we brought DD home in a cute onesie last year and plan on bringing this baby home in the same outfit. It was so hot I don't think we even had socks or anything. I didn't realize how tiny babies were (never been around a baby before) so a lot of the stuff I brought was too big, even though it said 0-3 months.

One Mom, Three Kids. Life is Great.

#9 of 26 Old 08-13-2008, 02:07 PM

I'm not sure what my baby's first outfit will be. I've found with homebirths it tends to be a lot more up in the air...maybe because you can just go into the closet and choose *anything* in the moment?

A friend sent me this little organic outfit, which is in the running, but I think needs a hat to go with it. And I found this gown and hat at a yard sale. It's in the running, but I'd like to have a blanket to go with/match it and that's not possible. I'm sewing baby's first out-of-the-house outfit, which will probably be worn to church the week after he's born.

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#10 of 26 Old 08-13-2008, 03:44 PM

We got this really cute brown/pink outfit with two different shirts, one is short sleeved, the other is long sleeved, that way we can dress her based on the weather. Brown/pink is really in for baby clothes right now, I'm thrilled b/c I love the combo. I've even had some longies made that have that color combo.

Mom to DD#1 8/04, nursed 43 months, DD#2 8/06, nursed 21 months and DD#3 9/08, still nursing strong
#11 of 26 Old 08-13-2008, 03:45 PM

Since ours is a HB, she'll be in her PF/cover and a long sleeve kimono, with socks and a hat. For DS (who was born in November), we had a fleece bunting he wore with a onesie or PJ underneath.

Me+DH (2006)
DS (2005)
DD (2008)
#12 of 26 Old 08-13-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarbear View Post
This is pretty adorable:
http://www.tinysprouts.com/index.php...&products_id=6
especially if you know the name

For ds, we bought him an adorable get-up from Janie and Jack last time, but I failed to consider the weather... it was about 100 degrees the day we brought him home, I just couldn't bear to put him into it He came home in a diaper, a t-shirt and booties! You will be buckling them into that little car seat for the first time too, so my advice would be to think about comfort above all.
That is VERY CUTE!
#13 of 26 Old 08-13-2008, 06:10 PM

Lucas will be coming home in a nice, pretty, blue Mickey Mouse pants set!
#14 of 26 Old 08-13-2008, 06:49 PM

I love anything from speesees...we HB, but have an open house a few days after birth. I'm going with this outfit:

cuteness

This is also so beautiful! (flora & henri)
#15 of 26 Old 08-14-2008, 12:55 AM

We'll either bring him home in a tiny little sleeper by Kissy Kissy or an adorable outfit from Tiny Toes that ds1 wore. I usually bring a few things I like to the hospital and pick whatever fits the best!

Jamie, parenting w/ DH , DS1 (02/04), DD (06/06), DS2 (09/08) and DD2 born 8/04/10 9lb 1 oz
#16 of 26 Old 08-14-2008, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

DH and I fell in love with the tiny sprouts outfits (thanks, Sarbear), and ended up ordering this one: http://www.tinysprouts.com/index.php...roducts_id=113

anthropologist mama to sweet 4-year-old boy

#17 of 26 Old 08-14-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illaria View Post
DH and I fell in love with the tiny sprouts outfits (thanks, Sarbear), and ended up ordering this one: http://www.tinysprouts.com/index.php...roducts_id=113
I love the little sailboat!
I'm planning on getting one of the outfits for a friend as a shower gift, they are just so sweet

#18 of 26 Old 08-14-2008, 12:12 PM

i definitely don't need a back-up outfit b/c i packed lots of sleepers. DS1 and i were in the hospital for 6 days due to complications and jaundice so i'm prepared this time!!

i'm considering this unless we buy something else:

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n...inghome001.jpg

i have a little sweater packed for over it if it's cool out.

wife to wonderful dh_malesling.GIF mama of three-DS1 born December 30, 2005 and DS2 born September 27, 2008 and one lovely little girl born September 7, 2011jumpers.gif

#19 of 26 Old 08-14-2008, 12:27 PM

i just have to ask without trying to sound too snarky,how does one realistically justify spending $34.00 on a baby sleeper bag or $9.50 for a bib from kissy kissy or those other speciality stores? some of those outfits are $50 apiece! most people dont have the superstar income. you could take that $50 and go to a garage sale in a wealthier neighborhood and by a really nice wardrobe for the baby. i got a cute nordstrom outfit for my baby for a dollar.i believe the outfit they come home in should be somewhat special without breaking the bank. it just goes against my thought of what natural family parenting means to me.

Lisa wife to Ronne and mom to 4 kids ,Thomas 4/92, Amanda 9/99, Christopher 8/06 & Nathaniel 5/08.
#20 of 26 Old 08-14-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starparticle View Post
OMG, that is absolutely beautiful!

Quote:
i just have to ask without trying to sound too snarky,how does one realistically justify spending $34.00 on a baby sleeper bag or $9.50 for a bib from kissy kissy or those other speciality stores?
I agree with this, too. As beautiful as everything here is, I'm not the type to spend $50 on a baby outfit. My two that are in the running for baby's first outfit came from a yard sale and a baby gift from Target . Atley came home from the birth center in a Carter's onesie and knit pants and Samuel came home in an Osh Kosh sleeper, but only because he peed on his Old Navy union suit.

I think, though, that if one wants to have a really special outfit and has the money, it's their choice to spend that money how they want. And I can think of lots worse things to spend $50 on that would be way less NFL than a cute going home outfit .

#21 of 26 Old 08-14-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polishprinsezz View Post
i just have to ask without trying to sound too snarky,how does one realistically justify spending $34.00 on a baby sleeper bag or $9.50 for a bib from kissy kissy or those other speciality stores? some of those outfits are $50 apiece! most people dont have the superstar income. you could take that $50 and go to a garage sale in a wealthier neighborhood and by a really nice wardrobe for the baby. i got a cute nordstrom outfit for my baby for a dollar.i believe the outfit they come home in should be somewhat special without breaking the bank. it just goes against my thought of what natural family parenting means to me.
I don't have an issue with buying one super cute newborn outfit for $30 or $40 - even though they wear them for such a short time...My mom saved me and my brother's nicest newborn outfits and I consider them to be a family heirloom.

I don't see how it goes against NFP to buy an outfit you love - how many $100+ outfits on hyena have you seen? I mean, the outfit I got from speesees was organic

The rest of my newborn shopping is from our local consignment store & hand me downs from friends - it all balances out!
#22 of 26 Old 08-14-2008, 01:21 PM

Quote:
My kissy kissy sleeper was part of a lot that I got on ebay for $10. And my tiny toes outfit (which tends to be rather expensive) was a gift from my Aunt when my first son was born. Some people do see take home outfits as heirloom pieces, so I imagine spending a bit more to get a higher quality that will last isn't the worst idea.

Jamie, parenting w/ DH , DS1 (02/04), DD (06/06), DS2 (09/08) and DD2 born 8/04/10 9lb 1 oz
#23 of 26 Old 08-14-2008, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Hmmm... I don't really see how spending money on clothing has anything to do with 'natural parenting', but I can certainly see what you are saying about spending $50 on an outfit that a baby will wear once or twice. With ds I spent almost no money on clothes as we were blessed enough to receive SO many things from friends and family, so when I did buy something, even if it was a little pricey, I didn't feel guilty about it. With the girls, most of the things I have purchased have been from a high-end second hand store in our neighborhood- I have gotten the most beautiful things without having to pay boutique prices for them Personally, I would rather spend a little more on higher quality fabrics and more unique items than buying from large chain-type stores, but that's just me

And, FWIW, we are talking about a 'coming home' outfit specifically, which many people regard as an heirloom item.

#24 of 26 Old 08-14-2008, 11:29 PM

i believe it to be a little more on the mainstream parenting side to pay an outragous price for heirloom clothing. i do believe in looking for those same clothes on ebay or resale shops. i'm very thrifty by nature and have a hard time spending money on any overpriced baby items that arent really nessessary. i myself have special items i took each of my babies home in. i also saved them. my 16 year old sons outfit came from the salvation army and is still in excellant shape. not all quality items have to be new and pricy.

Lisa wife to Ronne and mom to 4 kids ,Thomas 4/92, Amanda 9/99, Christopher 8/06 & Nathaniel 5/08.
#25 of 26 Old 08-15-2008, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmie981 View Post
OMG, that is absolutely beautiful!

I agree with this, too. As beautiful as everything here is, I'm not the type to spend $50 on a baby outfit. My two that are in the running for baby's first outfit came from a yard sale and a baby gift from Target . Atley came home from the birth center in a Carter's onesie and knit pants and Samuel came home in an Osh Kosh sleeper, but only because he peed on his Old Navy union suit.

I think, though, that if one wants to have a really special outfit and has the money, it's their choice to spend that money how they want. And I can think of lots worse things to spend $50 on that would be way less NFL than a cute going home outfit .
i agree and the way i look at it is someone has to spend the money or how will the rest of us get this stuff at garage sales and second hand stores?! i'm glad there are ppl who can justify it!

wife to wonderful dh_malesling.GIF mama of three-DS1 born December 30, 2005 and DS2 born September 27, 2008 and one lovely little girl born September 7, 2011jumpers.gif

#26 of 26 Old 08-15-2008, 11:10 AM

I will spend a significant amount of money on 2-3 really great outfits made by WAHM's on Etsy or HC. But buy over 90% of my kids clothes at thrift stores or garage sales.

We have a wonderful GN Sweat Pea outfit made by a wonderful mama @ HC to bring our LO home in.

Not sure of the link policy here so IDK if I can add it. but if I can and any one wants to see it LMK.

:K mama of 3 boys

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page