What kind of carseat will you be using? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 08-13-2008, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Did you guys buy a carseat yet? Do you have other children in seats still? How do you have them positioned in the car?

DD is almost 2 and a half, and about 25lbs. She is forward facing behind the passengers seat in a britax marathon.

I just came home with another britax marathon for this babe, to be placed in the middle of the backseat, RF, obviously.

I heard, though, (from the officer that responded to our accident) that the safest place, aside from the center spot, is behind the driver, as drivers tend to veer away from a potential accident, and thus making impact more towards the passengers side. So I think when we have the new seat installed, we'll also have DD's scooted over to behind the the driver.

What is everyone else planning on? I'm kind of having doubts as to whether or not these two HUGE seats will fit in the back
#2 of 26 Old 08-13-2008, 04:02 PM

We have a used (from a friend) marathon for our 2 yo dc, and have purchased a snugride (sterling) for baby to be. We had a used snugride for dc when younger, but it had been through 3 kids, and we decided this baby could have something new!!!!

We'll look to get a second marathon (Britax) when dc2 is older....either used (reputable) or new. I've seen good britax sales at tinyride.com...

Partner to , mother of and
#3 of 26 Old 08-13-2008, 04:15 PM

I have ordered the Chicco Keyfit 30 for the baby. Decided (w/ advice from my mom) that I would like to have the option of taking the seat from car to house if babe is asleep. After that we will go to a convertible seat w/ a 35 lb RFing limit (not sure which one yet).

Also, for those of you w/ DC's who are forward facing. Have you read in the Family Safety forum about extended rear facing? Unless your DCs are really tall, they can RF in the marathon until 33 lbs and are MUCH safer RFing.
#4 of 26 Old 08-13-2008, 04:15 PM

ehunter, just make sure you check the date of manufacture on the used seats, they expire after 6 years.

We got a Safeseat for the baby, we have a Snugride that was used for the girls but I wanted something that would last a bit longer than a few months before the baby outgrows it. DD1 is in a Britax Regent and DD2 is in a Marathon. Don't get me started on the carseat configuration in our minivan, it's been a nightmare. The best solution I can see is to put DD1 in the middle of the third row, and the two youngest in the captain's chairs.

Mom to DD#1 8/04, nursed 43 months, DD#2 8/06, nursed 21 months and DD#3 9/08, still nursing strong
#5 of 26 Old 08-13-2008, 04:26 PM

We're using a Peg Perego Primo Viaggio for the baby. That seat will go behind the driver. DD is currently RFing in a Britax Boulevard behind the passenger (we have captains chairs in an SUV - so no middle seat).

Mama to two wonderful DDs (10/06 and 09/08) and expecting a DS 1/1/11!
#6 of 26 Old 08-13-2008, 04:32 PM

We have 3 Graco SafeSeats across the back bench seat of a Honda CR-V. We had no choice on positions unless we bought a new vehicle, which we'll have to do next year. The only convertible/toddler seat that will fit 3 across is the Radian, but it won't fit RF in my car and I refuse to turn them that early.
#7 of 26 Old 08-13-2008, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ooh, this topic has been on my mind lately. We plan on getting a Britax Boulevard for sure but have been debating over an infant seat.

Anyone with positive or negative experience with having a newborn in a convertible seat?

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
#8 of 26 Old 08-13-2008, 04:39 PM

We also have the graco safeseat. We went to the police dept carseat check this weekend and realized that we're going to have to drive with our front seats further forward than we are used to in order fit the safeseat in without touching the front two seats. We have a Honda Fit, guess it wouldn't be a problem if we had a bigger car.

anthropologist mama to sweet 4-year-old boy

#9 of 26 Old 08-13-2008, 04:49 PM

We've a Graco SnugRide for when she is wee, then we'll get a Britax Marathon when needed.

kati , wife to josh , mama to j&d (7.31.07) marion (9.18.08), feeder of nanuq and gracie lou
#10 of 26 Old 08-13-2008, 05:01 PM

Graco Infant Snugride Sterling

Check out the ecology center's latest ratings on chemical safety in terms of hidden "ingredients" in car seats:
was featured on NPR recently:
the Ecology Center released the 2nd annual consumer guide to toxic chemicals in cars and children's car seats at www.HealthyCar.org. Over 200 of the most popular 2008- and 2009-model vehicles and over 60 children's car seats were tested for chemicals that off-gas from parts such as the steering wheel, dashboard, armrests, seats, and carpet.
#11 of 26 Old 08-13-2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonrose View Post
Ooh, this topic has been on my mind lately. We plan on getting a Britax Boulevard for sure but have been debating over an infant seat.

Anyone with positive or negative experience with having a newborn in a convertible seat?

DS was in a Britax Decathlon from day one. He was 9lbs. We traveled when he was ~2months and used a Peg Perego Primo Vaggio for that but I didn't like it nearly as much as the convertible seat (and got rid of the PV promptly after returning from vacation).
#12 of 26 Old 08-13-2008, 06:41 PM

One of our college friends is the VT Car Seat Safety head honcho. She just came over on Monday with a new car seat and installed it for us. We got an hour's safety and installation lecture as well. That was the best present we've gotten for the baby yet! Oh, it's a Graco SafeSeat.

Now the baby can show up because we're officially READY!!!

hippie.gifWife to blowkiss.gifJames , treehugger.gifMama to Saraenergy.gif and Robbie bouncy.gif
knit.gifread.gifgeek.gifgd.gifh20homebirth.giffamilybed2.gif  398/2013, 2/200, 4/52

#13 of 26 Old 08-13-2008, 07:18 PM

We have DS Snugride for the baby. DS is in a Marathon right now. We're getting a new van soon, so DS will be on the drivers side, and baby will be on passenger side.

Me+DH (2006)
DS (2005)
DD (2008)
#14 of 26 Old 08-13-2008, 07:30 PM

We have a Britax Marathon. There's no way it could fit RF behind the driver, although it makes great sense that it would be the least impacted part of the car.

I have a Ford freestyle, which has seats like this:

XXX
XX

in the center and back rows. Currently DS1 is in the left rearmost seat in a Regent and DS 2 is in the left center in a Regent. I tried REALLY hard to put them side-by-side in the back of the car because baby will go in the right middle spot and if they were both in the back, we could leave the left rear seat folded down for them to climb in and out of. But they C-A-N-N-O-T get along sitting next to each other in the car and it ends up being dangerous because I'm constantly getting onto them for hitting/kicking/pinching/whatever the "&$*( they think they're doing back there. I *might* try it *one more time* before the baby is born because I really hate the idea of Samuel climbing over DS2s carseat and putting his muddy winter feet onto the upholstry of my car to climb over the middle seat to get into the back where he'll be sitting. :

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#15 of 26 Old 08-13-2008, 10:04 PM

The baby will be in a SafeSeat. ds1 is in a regent and ds2 in a marathon. I was thinking of putting the older two in the very back of my minivan and putting the baby in the middle row in the middle seat and taking out one of the captains chairs so we could get more easily to the carseats in the back.
#16 of 26 Old 08-13-2008, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norabella View Post
Also, for those of you w/ DC's who are forward facing. Have you read in the Family Safety forum about extended rear facing? Unless your DCs are really tall, they can RF in the marathon until 33 lbs and are MUCH safer RFing.

Yes! DD was rear facing until she was almost 2, but her legs are long and her thighs lifted off the seat, which I've read is something that indicates they should be turned FF. I wish we could still RF her, as she's well under the weight limit

Quote:
It was intimidating to me as a first time mama. My babe was always on the small side, and leaving the hospital she was 6.5 lbs, and the seat looked MASSIVE. The belts, the buckles, everything looked so big around her. Once i got the hang of it (or maybe the hang of being a mom?) I loved it. It seemed much much sturdy than the bucket carrier, IMO.
#17 of 26 Old 08-14-2008, 12:59 AM

We borrowed a Graco Safeseat from a friend (her babes only 8mos) for now and will convert to another Britax Marathon when the time comes. DD is in a Marathon behind the passenger seat. I can't imagine her being behind me due to the constant interaction; but we WERE thinking we'd move her once this babe was here. Now hearing that behind driver is safer makes me wonder what to do. I can't imagine not being able to see ity bity babe though (of course through the mirrors). Hhhhmmm -- will have to read up on that more and decide.

Me. Full-time intactlact.gif,homeschool.gif,waterbirth.jpgx2 Momma. Part-time Doula & WAHM. Married to my bff USMC CWO2. Momma to the big M energy.gif11/06 -- the lil' superhero.gif C 09/08 and belly.gifexpecting our 3rd & last 12/12.

#18 of 26 Old 08-14-2008, 04:10 AM

my nearly 7yo and 4yo ride in Maxi Cosi Rodis. we have bought a Maxi Cosi Cabrio for this baby. the baby will either ride in the front with me (i'll turn the airbag off) or if we are all out together she will sit behind the passenger seat, with her sisters next to her, so we have 3 across the back. BUT we do have a VW with 2 extra seats in the boot so if the bigger ones fight too much for being that close one can always go in the very back.
#19 of 26 Old 08-14-2008, 10:17 AM

Ds1 is in a Britax Boulevard in a rear captains chair (behind the driver's seat)
This babe will be in a Snugride then probably a Comfort Sport in the captains chair behind the passenger seat.

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
#20 of 26 Old 08-14-2008, 10:19 AM

DS#3 has a Britax Marathon and he's been in that since he was 6 months. I pulled out his infant car seat to get ready for this baby and it had the worst mildewed smell. I washed the cover and it fell apart...shredded at the seems. I've thought about buying a cover for it...but i could get a new one for the same price as a cover. i've also thought about getting another Marathon and RF it. But having an infant carrier in the early months is much easier. I do carry baby in a sling 24/7. So i'm not sure what to do. If we travel the marathon is just to heavy and big to lug on and off a air plane. I'd have to check it as luggage. A friend has a infant carseat that another friend gave her. I'm going to check it out this weekend. I just dont like the idea of using a carseat after 2 other babies used it....kwim? But we are low on funds right now...so i may have to go with the friend's seat for now.

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#21 of 26 Old 08-14-2008, 12:17 PM

I have a Chicco KeyFit 30 for now. Ironically it has the lowest weight limit...I must be psychic and known I was having a preemie, lol.

We used a Britax Roundabout for our others but I think we'll get a Marathon for him, since they outgrow the Roundabout so fast. After the Roundabout we went straight to boosters.

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10
#22 of 26 Old 08-14-2008, 01:40 PM

I just read in an American Academy of Pediatrics book last night that it's safer to have a child behind the passenger than behind the driver. I have a Graco snugride and will move to a Britax marathon when baby outgrows the snugride. I have a hand me down Britax roundabout for DH's car (it's leopard print--DH isn't too psyched about that)
#23 of 26 Old 08-14-2008, 05:35 PM

Athena is rear facing in a Britax Marathon. We have another Britax Marathon for this baby but we'll probably have him in the Graco Snugride for a few months (just until he holds his head up well) before moving him to the Marathon.
#24 of 26 Old 08-14-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmissimpatient@c View Post
Yes! DD was rear facing until she was almost 2, but her legs are long and her thighs lifted off the seat, which I've read is something that indicates they should be turned FF. I wish we could still RF her, as she's well under the weight limit
Mama, I'm not in your ddc, but I wanted to respond. From what I've read, thighs lifting off the seat does not mean that your dd needs to be FF. Many mamas on here have their kids cross their legs and keep them RF. If she's under the weight limit, you're probably fine to turn her back to RF. You might want to ask this question in the Family Safety forum. There are lots of CPSTs there who are very knowledgeable.
#25 of 26 Old 08-15-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riversong View Post
Mama, I'm not in your ddc, but I wanted to respond. From what I've read, thighs lifting off the seat does not mean that your dd needs to be FF. Many mamas on here have their kids cross their legs and keep them RF. If she's under the weight limit, you're probably fine to turn her back to RF. You might want to ask this question in the Family Safety forum. There are lots of CPSTs there who are very knowledgeable.
This is my understanding, too. Thighs are not as important as necks.

Can you put a rearfacing seat behind the drivers or passengers seats in your car? Center is the safest position, so you're supposed to have your least protected child there. If your older child is remaining ff, or say if you have older kids in a booster or seat belt, then that child should get the center. The rf infant being most protected gets one of the outboard seats. Also, I have heard about the drivers side being slightly statistically better than the passenger side, but it's a very slight difference. If there are other concerns, like the driver not being able to position the seat in a comfortable and safe manner, then that should be considered.

/not a cpst, just a geek
#26 of 26 Old 08-15-2008, 01:20 PM

to get baby home from the hospital we are using an infant car seat borrowed from a friend. Ours is expired and has since been placed in the recycling bin.

When we get home we will test the marathon to see if baby's shoulders are at or above the lowest slot. If so we will install that Rfing passenger side. We are putting 3 across in a Mazda tribute and Dh is 6'4" so he needs to have the driver seat all the way back to drive...Rfing marathon is too big to put the driver or passenger seat all the way back in our vehicle.

:K mama of 3 boys

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page