S/O What are your other kids' names? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 08-14-2008, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(If you have other kids) Do you want the baby's name to "go" with your other kids' names or are you just picking a name you like? At first I really wanted to keep with the two syllable, ending in "a" or "ah", but it's become so difficult to find any names DH and I agree on, that I'm at the point where I just want to find a name and to heck with the pattern.

Mom to DD#1 8/04, nursed 43 months, DD#2 8/06, nursed 21 months and DD#3 9/08, still nursing strong
#2 of 28 Old 08-14-2008, 09:52 AM

We took our ODDs naem into consideration when picking a name for this LO. Our older daughter is Tess Hayes and this one will be Lucy Adele. Both have family middle names. I actually like them even better together than seperate, "Tess and Lucy" just sounds too wonderful to me!
#3 of 28 Old 08-14-2008, 09:55 AM

Well we wanted all of our kids to have at least 1 Bible name, and they do!
Rachelle (pronounced Rachel)
Issac
Samuel (goes by Ethan)
#4 of 28 Old 08-14-2008, 09:57 AM

My problem is that for boys' names, I seem draw to similar sounds. I like 2-syllable names that can't be nicknamed, have a positive/uplifting meaning, and aren't TOO popular. So, for this LO I was looking for a name I liked that didn't rhyme with my other boys.

My boys are Aaron and Kian. If this one is a boy, he will be Teagan. So, they are all the "en" sound endings, but at least have somewhat different sounds. Other names I considered were too similar, like Aiden (which is also too popular) or Eamon.

My mom thinks our girl's name is too similar to ds2's: Kian and Kira. (She still likes the name, though.) I don't know, it has the same beginning sound, but the end is different. Oh well.

It's kind of funny, though. My idea of "not too popular" for #1 was completely different than it is now. Aaron was in the top 50... and I also completely forgot about all the little girl Erins running around, too! But, I thought a boy would have a hard time with a name that was too unusual... Then, with #2, we went with a name at the bottom of the ranking list for a boy, that our family and friends had never heard of before.

Meanwhile, the girls' names we like tend to be at least in the top 150, and I always thought we'd want a more unusual name for a girl.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#5 of 28 Old 08-14-2008, 10:06 AM

I have 3 children and my first 2 are from my previous marriage....so as far as names..."going" with each other....they dont. But i did want my last baby to have a bible name...Isaiah...plus i wanted that name to be pronounced in spanish too...Isaias...so with this baby...i want the same thing. However we dont know what the sex of the baby is, and have not come up with any names yet.

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#6 of 28 Old 08-14-2008, 10:11 AM

We picked a name that we liked but gave this little one a family name as a middle name just like we did with ds1.
My husband is James Patrick (Patrick is fil's first name)
My ds1 is Ryan James (dad's first name as his middle)
This little one will be Zane Patrick so both boys will have a name from daddy
(which I can't believe I shared b/c I am paranoid about Zane gaining popularity)
If we have another boy we are going to be stuck!
Our girl name is Anna. So if we do end up having a girl we will have three kids with four letter names - but that is about all the "going together" we have going for us.

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
#7 of 28 Old 08-14-2008, 10:47 AM

Our kids will all have an Old Testament name. We didn't plan for that in the beginning, but out of all of the name choices those three were just their names.

I have:

DS1 - Elias Xavier (Middle name after his Daddy)
DS2- Josiah Nikolas (Middle name after my first name)
DD1 - Selah Raelle (Middle name a form my middle name that has been in the family 6 generations)

We are a family of Jesus loving urban-nesters living the granola life in a not-so-crunchy city.  Our kids (DS 8, DS 7, DD 4) are home birthed and educated, and we just found out that a new Little will be added to our roost mid-April '14!

#8 of 28 Old 08-14-2008, 11:48 AM

The only thing that we are keeping the same/considering with all of our children's names is the tradition of using family names as middle names. Ds's middle name is my husband's name (he is a jr.), and the girls' middle names will be our mother's middle names.

sarah, mama to e & j 8/08, and big brother 8/06
#9 of 28 Old 08-14-2008, 11:49 AM

My DD is Hannah Helen. Hannah because we liked it and Helen because it's my middle name, my mother's middle name, and my maternal grandmother's first name.

This baby will be Sofie Genevieve. Sofie because we like it and Genevieve because it's my paternal grandmother's first name. (And we like it )

Mama to two wonderful DDs (10/06 and 09/08) and expecting a DS 1/1/11!
#10 of 28 Old 08-14-2008, 12:14 PM

We sort of did but not really. I dont know what that means exactly. I need caffiene.

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10
#11 of 28 Old 08-14-2008, 12:21 PM

We gave DD two middle names so we figured we would give this little guy two as well. Thats as far as we went on making the names match.

One Mom, Three Kids. Life is Great.

#12 of 28 Old 08-14-2008, 12:24 PM

I have a Samuel Ellis and an Atley Lawson right now, which don't really go together at all. All of our middle names are family names. Ellis and Lawson are from my side of the family, but Silas' middle name--Gerard--will be the first from DH's side of the family...it's his dad's middle name and I think his dad is a little stunned that we're using it, either because we're naming a child after him or because it's such an uncommon name...

I had a big issue with their names not going together when I was pregnant with Atley. Atley was a name we had chosen from a movie as one we liked before I got pregnant, but once I was pregnant, I really didn't want to use it because it came from a movie and it just didn't MEAN that much. Samuel had so much meaning to us, being a Biblical name meaning "asked of God," and so on...I wanted the same for my second DS's name. We talked about Silas then, but I didn't want two Bible names starting with "S" two years apart...I would feel like my next child had to be Saul or Solomon or Sarah or Seth, YKIM? We considered Thomas, Geoffery (OMG, that name is way too hefty for this child, BTW!) and a lot of others. In the end he was Atley and I just can't imagine him as anything else...his name is light and uncommon (but NOT made up!) and totally fits him.

In a lot of ways, this baby has been Silas since 5 years ago when we decided not to name Atley Silas. We talked briefly about other names for boys, and even after we knew it was a boy and had been calling him Silas for a few weeks, I told DH I wasn't convinced I didn't want to use Lincoln Eugene instead of Silas Gerard. But just like we couldn't settle on any other name for Atley, we have never been really settled on any other name for this baby than Silas. It makes me wonder...if we have another boy, will he be my Lincoln Eugene? We seem to have our names picked out THAT FAR ahead of time!

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#13 of 28 Old 08-14-2008, 12:27 PM

I've had Elizabeth picked out for a long time (my middle name) and then we added Lucille as her middle name because it was my grandma's first name and my mil's first name (nothing like honoring both sides of the family )

The Kay in Malissa Kay is after my aunt Mary Kay and my sil who is Marilyn Kay. The Malissa part was just a name that we liked and I liked the spelling better.

Both of our daughters get shortened names only within the family (Lizzie Lu and Missy Kay) but they go by their full names anywhere else (for now at least!)

With this baby, we're not sure.... We like Daniel Thomas (the inverse of dh's name) or Danielle Jeanette (Jeanette is my mom's middle name) but we had those names picked out for dc2 and when she turned out to be a girl we were told that if we were going to "try for a boy" we shouldn't use Danielle because then we can't use Daniel... hmmm... so we'll see....

I also like Matthew, Joshua and Nathan for boys and Samantha for a girl.
#14 of 28 Old 08-14-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet729 View Post
when she turned out to be a girl we were told that if we were going to "try for a boy" we shouldn't use Danielle because then we can't use Daniel... hmmm... so we'll see....
I agree that if you use Danielle, you probably don't want to use Daniel. BUT, what if you save that name and then never get to use it? That's kind of how I feel about my girl's middle name, which is my late mother's name: Gayle. We seriously considered using Gael as as Samuel's middle name, but then decided that we wanted to save it for girl. And here we are pregnant with #3 and still haven't gotten to use the one name with the most meaning to us. We have used other parts of her name and names from her family, but I really want the chance to use her first name. We'll see...we might use it with #4, boy or girl. Or maybe she's the reason we keep having boys...she hated her first name .

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#15 of 28 Old 08-14-2008, 01:43 PM

NO! There are so few names that du and I agree on, I can't imagine having to match them, LOL! DH and I both like uncommon names, but our ideas are different as to what "uncommon" is. I usually suggest first names and he suggests middle names. So, our first ds is Jude Maximus and this one will be Ezra Locke. Coincidentally, both of the first names are biblical, but I think that has more to do with my tastes.
My daughter's name was all DH, Delaney Belle. He loved those names
so much I had to agree with them and since my mother's name is Adel it was a nice way of including her somewhat.
So yeah, we pick what we like, lol.

Jamie, parenting w/ DH , DS1 (02/04), DD (06/06), DS2 (09/08) and DD2 born 8/04/10 9lb 1 oz
#16 of 28 Old 08-14-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
My husband is James Patrick
Me too!!

We wanted our kids to have Irish names (our last name is very Irish) and we wanted them to mean something to us. So we named our DS Conor James. Conor means "lover of hounds" and we have 2 large dogs. And he does indeed love our hounds.

For this baby, we were looking for something Irish and really liked the name we picked- it happens to go very well with DS's name, too. We didn't pick it that way, but it's a nice bonus. Her name will be Cara Siobhan. Cara means "friend" and Siobhan is for my grandmother.

modern-mama to DS (5.16.05) and DD (9.11.08) and one more (GIRL!) coming in December
#17 of 28 Old 08-14-2008, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

SuperSarah, Tess and Lucy does sound wonderful together! It's a nice strong combo.

We use family names for middle names as well. DD1's middle name is Anne, which was my maternal grandmother's name (although spelled differently) and DH's maternal grandmother's name. DD2's middle name is May, which is my paternal grandmother's middle name. We have decided to use my mother's name as the middle name for this child, b/c it honors both her and my MIL. MIL's name is Evelyn and mom is Lynne, so unfortunately there's no combo or way to use part of both. Lynne IS part of both! lol Now if only we can come up with a first name...

Mom to DD#1 8/04, nursed 43 months, DD#2 8/06, nursed 21 months and DD#3 9/08, still nursing strong
#18 of 28 Old 08-14-2008, 02:21 PM

My DD's name is Amelia and if we have a girl she will be named Sadie. If it's a boy, it's looking like it will be Evan or Lucas. Not sure if those 'go' or not but they don't sound either too 'matchy' or different, to my ears at least.

Mother. Doula. Writer. Feminist. Activist. 
Mum to Moo Moo (4) blahblah.gifand EJ (2) bftoddler.gif

#19 of 28 Old 08-14-2008, 03:54 PM

DD1 is Kitty Mabel. May is a family middle name but i adapted it a bit.
DD2 is Pippa Florence. We were goingt o call her Pippa Honey but then we thought that K will probably grow up hating her MN (its a bit granny-ish ) so we thought it fair to give P a 'granny' MN too, it was nearly Beatrice, but we opted for Florence.
as it happens both of these first names are quite Victorian.

DD3 will be Fern Matilda. we really struggled with agreeing on a first name this time, and we kept in mind the other names while we were trying to think of some, even to the point i trawled through all the characters in the bronte, mansfield and austin novels for inspiration : i didnt want anything too popular either. i liked Darcy, Eliza, Violet and Juliet too. Matilda is after her Daddy (Matthew).

we have found it harder the more kids we have as we wanted all the names to 'go'.
#20 of 28 Old 08-14-2008, 04:03 PM

Nina, I your names. Love them. I was trying to sell DH on "Darcy Gayle" for a girl last night, actually. He likes Shelby. I like Darby, but I feel the "by" at the end is just too Southern, so I like Darcy. Have since high school. When he argued that it was also too Southern, I said "nope, it's a Jane Austen character's name...not Southern, but VICTORIAN...there's a difference." I don't think I managed to convince him, though.

There's a reason we have all boys...if we had a girl, she'd be firstnameless for months, I'm sure!

#21 of 28 Old 08-14-2008, 05:42 PM

DD is Athena Claire. We have no clue what our son's name is yet... but we do want something that fits well with it but isn't too themey. For example, Athena and oh, Braden don't sound so great together but Athena and Zeus = way too themey.
#22 of 28 Old 08-14-2008, 06:24 PM

We are really struggling with naming this little one. No names so far....quite the list tho dd1 is Morgan Elizabeth & dd2 is Abbi Rae......so I would like #3 to have 2 syllables or less if poss....but we'll see. We might wait to meet baby before completely settling on a name. At this rate, we'll be lucky to narrow it down by the time he or she debuts!
#23 of 28 Old 08-14-2008, 08:48 PM

My dd name is Basil Lucienne. We call her "Lucie". Her name really fits her-Lucie means light. So, for the new baby (if it is a girl), her name will be Lila Jessamine. Lila means night, which I think is a cool balance to Lucie meaning light. Also, we wanted to stick with the herb/flower theme, so Jessamine was a nice compliment. But I really liked that as a middle name b/c my maternal gfather and pat gmother were named Jesse/Jessie. So it just seems to have alot of symmetry.

The only issue is that both my dh and i go by our middle name, as does dd, so I sort of wanted to do that again, but cannot think of a first name compliment to Lila. I really wish I could find a "longer name' that included Lila, so I could use Lila as a nickname, just like Lucie (and me, I go by a nickname off of my middle name).

For a boy, Joseph (a family name) Gabriel. I just love the name Gabe.
#24 of 28 Old 08-15-2008, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmie981 View Post
Nina, I your names. Love them. I was trying to sell DH on "Darcy Gayle" for a girl last night, actually. He likes Shelby. I like Darby, but I feel the "by" at the end is just too Southern, so I like Darcy. Have since high school. When he argued that it was also too Southern, I said "nope, it's a Jane Austen character's name...not Southern, but VICTORIAN...there's a difference." I don't think I managed to convince him, though.

There's a reason we have all boys...if we had a girl, she'd be firstnameless for months, I'm sure!

well thank you very much you need to send your DH off to the library to get some austin books out!
#25 of 28 Old 08-15-2008, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boobyfeeder View Post
SuperSarah, Tess and Lucy does sound wonderful together! It's a nice strong combo.
Thanks!
I am always so (happily) surprised at how many people here use family names for middle names- everyone I know IRL thinks it is totally strange, except my family! Even DHs family was kinda, "Wha??" when we told them Tess' MN, which is a family name from my side. I think they are WAY more into it now that we are using a name from his side!
#26 of 28 Old 08-15-2008, 10:32 AM

I don't have any other kids, but I just love this thread! lol Some really great names here!

That's so funny, Sarah. I always thought passing on family names was pretty much the point of middle names! In fact, in Denmark they have legal restrictions on middle names where it basically has to be in your family somewhere. Most Danes don't have middle names, but Dagmar is getting one. About half the people from my mom's side (including me!) have it as a middle name and I've always known I'd pass it on too.
#27 of 28 Old 08-15-2008, 11:43 AM

Ninnifer--I just have to say that I LOVE all three of your names! I am drawn towards more old fashioned names too (Clementine, Beatrix, Iris). I used to have Fern picked out as my future baby name, but my DH nixed it in favor of Clementine. My only problem has been coming up with a boy name that I feel matches that vibe if this one is a boy. Sorry to ramble--just wanted to say that I love your names!

Mama to DD (10/8/08) and expecting someone new in November!
#28 of 28 Old 08-15-2008, 03:17 PM

I like the names in this thread! We are having a really hard time finding a name for this next one, boy or girl. DD1 is Madeline Kaysa-- Madeline because we liked it (though i had to compromise on the spelling, I wanted "Madeleine"), and Kaysa (pronounced K-ICE-uh) is my beloved sister's name. My middle name is Ellen after my mom's sister, so I wanted to follow tradition, and honor the important place Kaysa has in my life. I had no idea how popular the name Madeline was getting when we chose it, but I still like it and it suits her!

We like old fashioned names that are not too popular but also known enough that it doesn't seem like we just made something up. I don't want to do another "M" name, and I'm really into the name "Hugo" for a boy but DH is not excited about it. He's not opposed to it really, just not that into it. And we cannot agree on a middle name to go with Hugo at all!

DH really likes the name "May" for a girl, but we already call DD1 "Maddy May" frequently so that's just weird to me.

I'm a proud mama of two girls! 4/30/06 Madeline, 09/25/08 Amelia
--**I'm here to share my mistakes and learn from yours**--

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page