TMI? Mucus plug questions... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-14-2008, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Pretty sure I lost my mucus plug this evening. I am 35 weeks and roughly 3 days? Should I be concerned about labor beginning soon? I've heard it can be a few weeks before labor, or a couple days...

W/ our first child, I never recognized losing it, so I don't really know. Our first dc was born at about 39 weeks.

Any good info on this?
Thanks, beth

Partner to , mother of and
#2 of 12 Old 08-14-2008, 11:28 PM

I lost my mucus plug with #1 during labor. I'm not sure with #2.

I do know that many, many mamas will step in here and say that mucus plug loss is never indicitive of labor. AND it can regenerate.
#3 of 12 Old 08-14-2008, 11:41 PM
Banned

I had a thread about this a couple days ago (entitled "snot") and the consensus seemed to be "don't worry unless you have contractions." It can regenerate.
#4 of 12 Old 08-14-2008, 11:59 PM

Quote:
I do know that many, many mamas will step in here and say that mucus plug loss is never indicitive of labor. AND it can regenerate.
^^ Yep ^^

♥ SAHM to my 5 kiddos ♥
2/01, 12/02, 4/05, 7/06 and 10/08
#5 of 12 Old 08-15-2008, 01:56 AM

I heard that as well, about the contractions, but i am not sure as I don't really know!

What should it look like? I am guessing it is not white mucous and should be different-looking? Also, can it just fall apart as well bit by bit or is it usually all at once?

Thanks.
#6 of 12 Old 08-15-2008, 02:48 AM

My MIL lost her mucus plug when she was pregnant with my husband on Aug. 8 and he wasn't born until Aug. 22.
#7 of 12 Old 08-15-2008, 04:12 AM

When I lost it with my 2nd babe, it really just looked like a huge wad of snot... lol... It can be lost bit by bit, or all at once.. just depends

♥ SAHM to my 5 kiddos ♥
2/01, 12/02, 4/05, 7/06 and 10/08
#8 of 12 Old 08-17-2008, 09:25 PM

you know that I've had 4 babies already and I don't know if I've ever seen it??? Maybe mine came out when labor had already started. Don't know. What I'm curious about is if the mucus plug can still be there even if a mama is somewhat dialated before labor starts. I usually have been about 2 cm dialated before labor starts and I don't know if the plug can stay put with the cervix open that much. Anyone know?
#9 of 12 Old 08-17-2008, 10:20 PM

I think so. With my 1st I was 3-4cm dilated in early labor and I lost my plug, or part of it, about 6 hours later I think.
#10 of 12 Old 08-18-2008, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I start looking for mine at around 38 weeks, which is why I think I've always been cognizant of the fact I've lost it. It's a big glob of blood tinged mucous...comes out (for me) over the course of a couple of visits to the bathroom. With #1 I lost it and labor began within an hour or two. With #2, I lost it and didn't go into labor for a couple of days. And I was walking around at 4 cm dilated! This time, since I'm so far from the hospital, I'm going to use it as an indicator that it's time to go hang out at my mom's house. If she had her way, I'd be there from 38 weeks on. But I can't imagine anything more disruptive to my mental state or my family life!
#11 of 12 Old 08-18-2008, 11:17 AM

I remember it being blood tinged and real thick and gooey. I keep looking for mine every time i wipe....but like others said it really doesnt mean much as baby will come when they are ready. But i know it's exciteing when it does happen.

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#12 of 12 Old 08-18-2008, 11:55 AM

With this being my 4th baby, I have never seen my mucus plug. I am jelouse of yall. hehe. I'm usualy dialated to a 3-4 before going into labor so it baffles me that I have never seen it. I have never had a dr tell me it was there or gone either.

Thea, wife to Daniel Homeschooling Momma to 4 beautiful, engergetic children.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page