Warm weather baby - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-15-2008, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 2 dc were born in cold weather climates and it seemed obvious how to dress them. It could still be really warm here when this baby comes. Anywhere from 80 to 100 degrees but my house will have the a/c set to 78 probably. I'm having a hard time thinking about how to dress a newborn in warm weather. I see people here with little babies outside in 100+ degree weather and it freaks me out for some reason. Anyone been in warm or hot weather with newborns?
#2 of 12 Old 08-15-2008, 12:35 AM

I have no idea but am in a similar situation and have been wondering the same thing. Do newborns sweat?
#3 of 12 Old 08-15-2008, 12:53 AM

I live in Texas so there isn't really a really COLD weather time I suppose - but this baby will be the first one born in the real heat of Texas!

My other babes are end of Nov, Dec, and two Jan's... so it was a little cool when they came home and then coldish when they were very young.
#4 of 12 Old 08-15-2008, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Do newborns sweat?
yes!!
My DS was born in May and he was always hot. He wore onesies and soft pants indoors (in AC) and those 1 piece short outfits when we went out.

modern-mama to DS (5.16.05) and DD (9.11.08) and one more (GIRL!) coming in December
#5 of 12 Old 08-15-2008, 12:57 AM

Found this answer to your question:

What to wear
Dressing an infant involves the same number of layers as you would wear plus maybe an additional one (such as a onesie) if cooler weather. I am a big fan of the car seat cover in the winter, which only exposes the face, allows you to stuff it with blankets and does away with the need for dressing the infant in a coat. Always wear a hat outside in cold weather.

Overdressing or overbundling an infant can lead to a false fever. In hot, humid weather, dress newborns in lighter clothing since they lack the ability to sweat and may get prickly rash.
#6 of 12 Old 08-15-2008, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by immamama View Post
Overdressing or overbundling an infant can lead to a false fever. In hot, humid weather, dress newborns in lighter clothing since they lack the ability to sweat and may get prickly rash.
This happened to my niece. She was born in June (four years ago) and kept getting fevers and rashes. My SIL couldn't figure out what was going on and why she kept getting "sick". Took her to the pediatrician and he told her she was bundling her up too much, to turn down the AC in their house to 76 and dress her in thinner clothes. It worked and she was fine after that.
#7 of 12 Old 08-15-2008, 09:48 AM

I am in Ohio so while it will not be 100 degrees, we were still going to the pool well into October last year. I have sack sleepers for when we are in the house. For going out I agree with a pp who said the one piece short outfits or just a onesie. I had a spring baby last time so this will be new to me too but more so how to dress him and carry him about in the winter when he is still really small. My first was 9 months before the really cold weather hit.

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
#8 of 12 Old 08-15-2008, 11:22 AM

I had a July baby in a really hot summer. We don't have AC. He mostly lived in a diaper and my sling. When we were going out I would usually bring a lightweight pair of pants and sometimes just socks. He almost always had a sun hat on and was against me most of the time.

AP crunchy homeschooling mama to Henning (1/4/03), Connor (7/1/05) and Elijah (9/21/08) Forever holding my 3 lost little ones in my heart.
#9 of 12 Old 08-15-2008, 04:27 PM

I had my DD last August. We had the AC about 80, but it still got warm in parts of the house. Mostly, she would be in a onesie. If we went out we might out her in a dress or little outfit. Right now she is happy running around in just her diaper. I like the rule of dress them in whatever makes you comfortable. No extra layers or even socks if you wouldn't wear them.

One Mom, Three Kids. Life is Great.

#10 of 12 Old 08-15-2008, 04:32 PM

This baby will probably spend the early days in a baby T and diaper or in onesies. A friend of mine had a July baby in Hawaii, and that's what she usually had him in. He still got hot sometimes, but when all else failed she'd give him a quick bath since he loved the water and it helped to cool him down.

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#11 of 12 Old 08-15-2008, 10:20 PM

Darn...I wish I had that problem! I have dreams of sitting in the swing on the front porch with baby, with nice warm weather. But alas...I'm in Canada and by the middle of September it will be quite chilly already!! I look at all the cute shorts outfits and sigh..... (can you tell I'm a misplanted desert girl?)
#12 of 12 Old 08-15-2008, 10:35 PM
Banned

My first was born in June and we stayed in a lot her first summer, didn't want her getting overheated or sunburnt. In the house, she wore onesies most of the time, on the really hot days just a diaper (since I was holding her all the time) or a diaper under a blanket if I set her down.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page