Are you doing the Vitamin K shot? - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Are you doing the Vitamin K shot?
Yes 20 25.97%
No 35 45.45%
We're going to see how labor goes 11 14.29%
We're undecided 11 14.29%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 08-15-2008, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Since we're getting down to the wire just wondering what "interventions" people are planning on taking with their babies and how they came to those decisions.

#1 Are you planning on doing the Vitamin K shot? Why or why not?
#2 of 27 Old 08-15-2008, 10:33 PM
Banned

Yes, because from the reading I have done I am satisfied that it is low risk, is effective against what it prevents, and what it prevents is serious. My baby will also be at somewhat elevated risk of anemia so I think it makes sense to take that precaution for that reason as well.
#3 of 27 Old 08-15-2008, 10:37 PM

I'm not happy with what I've read about the vit K injection but we are doing the oral vit K.

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#4 of 27 Old 08-15-2008, 10:45 PM

We may do oral vitamin K if it is a rough birth but we don't plan on a vitamin K shot. I think vitamin K tends to be unnecessary unless it is a traumatic birth or the baby is not allowed to get all its cord blood.

AP crunchy homeschooling mama to Henning (1/4/03), Connor (7/1/05) and Elijah (9/21/08) Forever holding my 3 lost little ones in my heart.
#5 of 27 Old 08-15-2008, 10:53 PM

We opted for the oral vitamin K.
#6 of 27 Old 08-15-2008, 11:07 PM

I will only if the birth is rough or there is any other medical reason we feel it should be done.
#7 of 27 Old 08-16-2008, 12:01 AM

We are opting for the oral version of Vit K
#8 of 27 Old 08-16-2008, 12:51 AM

If you are doing the oral, where did you order the drops, or are you requesting it in the hospital? Also, what dosage do you plan to give?

sarah, mama to e & j 8/08, and big brother 8/06
#9 of 27 Old 08-16-2008, 02:28 AM

We're planning on doing the drops. My midwife carries them.

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#10 of 27 Old 08-16-2008, 09:08 AM

oops, i hit the wrong one- we are going to see how labor goes, and i hit undecided....

Shane mama to three boys!! Wife to an amazing man.
#11 of 27 Old 08-16-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalemilk View Post
Yes, because from the reading I have done I am satisfied that it is low risk, is effective against what it prevents, and what it prevents is serious. My baby will also be at somewhat elevated risk of anemia so I think it makes sense to take that precaution for that reason as well.
Bang on for me too.
#12 of 27 Old 08-16-2008, 12:17 PM

no. i dont see any reason for additional Vit. K. Even though we live in a Northern environment, we plan to expose baby to sunlight daily.
#13 of 27 Old 08-16-2008, 12:23 PM

No

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
#14 of 27 Old 08-16-2008, 01:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateWriter View Post
no. i dont see any reason for additional Vit. K. Even though we live in a Northern environment, we plan to expose baby to sunlight daily.
Vitamin D is what you get from sunlight.
#15 of 27 Old 08-16-2008, 02:15 PM

We're doing oral if birth is easy, shot if traumatic
#16 of 27 Old 08-16-2008, 02:20 PM

Likely, yes. We did with our DD.
#17 of 27 Old 08-16-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateWriter View Post
vit K in made in the gut by intestinal bacteria. the baby doesn't have any until he/she is colonized after birth, hence the shot to prevent a rare bleeding disorder in the first few days.

vit D is the one you get from sunlight, as whalemilk mentioned.

we are probably going to do the shot, unless my mama instincts tell me otherwise at the time. the oral form is not really an effective substitute, so if we decide against the shot we are not doing any vit K supplementation.

Jenny, earth.gif flowersforyou.gif   treehugger.gif gd.gif coolshine.giffamilybed2.gifdust.gif
#18 of 27 Old 08-16-2008, 04:50 PM

I've been on the fence about this one, both my babes had pretty traumatic deliveries, so we'll just have to see how this one goes. My midwife is super awesome about only doing what mom wants though so I don't feel like I have to decide right now.
#19 of 27 Old 08-16-2008, 06:39 PM

As it stands right now we are not doing it. It there is a tramatic birth with lots of bruising around the head then we will make the decision of what needs to be done at that time.
In my mind giving an unneccesary Vitamin K shot, or oral dose is the same as giving vax. And I don't want to give the baby anything it doens't need.

Thea, wife to Daniel Homeschooling Momma to 4 beautiful, engergetic children.
#20 of 27 Old 08-16-2008, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

It's interesting reading all of the replies. I've always been "lets wait and see" on the Vit. K...did the oral with number one...and none with number 2. At my appointment this week with my super non-intervention midwife, when I mentioned I'd wait and see about the birth she came back quite strongly suggesting the shot. I was super surprised (she had told me not to bother with the GBS because it can complicate things, not to bother with a second ultrasound, and so on). Anyhow, she went on to tell me how she personally knew of two babies who had suffered "dire consequences" from not having the Vit. K shot. One apparently had a genetic disorder that affected blood clotting and the other had no outward appearances of anything wrong and the labor was rather "normal". Her very strong opinion was that all the other interventions you can do something about at a later date (such as the eye ointment), whereas this one you don't know until it's too late. This has frightened me, and I have to admit I'm now questioning my normal decision. What do you all think?
#21 of 27 Old 08-16-2008, 08:56 PM
Banned

I'd say she has a point. The other thing to consider is, what are the risks of the vitamin K shot? It's very low risk. In fact, all the "risks" I have heard trumpeted about it are mostly theoretical risks, and unproven or vague ones at that. It doesn't make any sense to me to skip this one.
#22 of 27 Old 08-16-2008, 11:20 PM

sorry about that. i had a brain freeze w/ Vit D and K (both of which they tend to think are deficient in babies).

here is why i am chosing not to do Vit K shot (this is from MDC main page...if you do a search for Vit K this comes up).

========

(questions to Dr. Tenpenny is the title of the section i think...lots here is deleted to keep w/in the UA of 100 words or less..you can search for this article on the FRONT PAGE of MOTHERING.COM))

----------

IRT Vit. K

Vitamin K is given to newborns to prevent a rare form of blood disease. ....

(deleted to keep w/in the UA of 100 words or less)

There are three types of HDN. Early onset HDN occurs in the first 24 hours, is very rare and mainly associated with mothers who have taken anticonvulsant, antibiotic, antituberculous or anticoagulant drugs during pregnancy. (deleted to keep w/in the UA of 100 words or less..you can search for this article on the FRONT PAGE of MOTHERING.COM)

Vitamin K shots contain PEG-35 castor oil, a solvent. Studies in animals given polyethoxylated castor oil have shown a severe anaphylactic reaction associated with histamine release. Strong circumstantial evidence implicates polyethoxylated castor oil in similar reactions in humans. This synthetic, injectable vitamin K formulation was never subjected to a randomized, controlled trial. There are no long term studies on the effects of this drug on newborn babies.

A better way for an infant to have enough Vitamin K at birth are to ensure that the mother eats large quantities of food that contain natural forms of Vitamin K, such as alfalfa, brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, collard and turnip greens, spinach, broccoli, asparagus, oats and green tea. (For a good, well referenced discussion on this topic, see http://www.vaclib.org/basic/vitamin-k.htm)
#23 of 27 Old 08-17-2008, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winginit View Post
Her very strong opinion was that all the other interventions you can do something about at a later date (such as the eye ointment), whereas this one you don't know until it's too late. This has frightened me, and I have to admit I'm now questioning my normal decision. What do you all think?
I kind of lean toward your MW here. I voted undecided, but will probably inject my own baby with vit. K even after my UC :. Of all the things I learned about in my midwifery training, the only one that made me think really hard about why we do it is Vit. K, especially on learning that the oral Vit. K really just doesn't work. And quite frankly, HDN scares the living crap out of me (and no, I've never seen a case of it and hope I never do). I have lots of clients refuse it, but if they have any questions, I usually point them toward the research regarding the effectiveness of the oral vs. the injected. I've never given oral Vit. K after parents really read up on it.

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#24 of 27 Old 08-17-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winginit View Post
all the other interventions you can do something about at a later date (such as the eye ointment), whereas this one you don't know until it's too late.
Is that really true? I thought that in a case where the mother really did have one of those STD's (is it gonhorrhea or chlamydia?) and the baby's eyes weren't treated right away, the baby would be rendered blind pretty quickly. Granted, blindness is not as bad as death, but still.
#25 of 27 Old 08-17-2008, 09:47 PM

Know it's probably unnecessary... and told the midwife that. But, she insists I get it. She went on and on about some rare disease that without the shot my baby would get brain damage from. Anyway... she said she strongly urges to use that shot... and will make me talk to my pediatrician (that doesn't exist yet) if I do decide against it. All in all i'm just too tired and blah to argue it. Can't hurt right? I am refusing the hepB tho... cus i think that one is stupid... and she says that's fine.

Rachel lady.gif, in love with my baby girl Abigailenergy.gifborn 9/17/08!
#26 of 27 Old 08-17-2008, 10:54 PM

ugh. we had decided to do oral Vitamin K and crossed that decision OFF our list! my midwife highly recommended oral over the shot, and told me to order it with my birth kit.

can someone point this google-burned-out mama toward what you think is the best research showing that the oral dose is ineffective?
#27 of 27 Old 08-18-2008, 01:35 AM

Another "we'll see how birth goes" here. I'm sure we will go with it again (DD was very bruised and had horrible head malformation - initially) though; so we did get the shot. M/w made it as 'gentle' as possible, meaning, she was skin to skin nursing when they gave it to her and she never even flinched.

Me. Full-time intactlact.gif,homeschool.gif,waterbirth.jpgx2 Momma. Part-time Doula & WAHM. Married to my bff USMC CWO2. Momma to the big M energy.gif11/06 -- the lil' superhero.gif C 09/08 and belly.gifexpecting our 3rd & last 12/12.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page