Are you doing the erythromycin eye ointment? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Are you doing the erythromycin eye ointment?
Yes...right after the birth 5 6.41%
Yes...but with some delay 9 11.54%
No 60 76.92%
We haven't decided yet 4 5.13%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 08-17-2008, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I dont think anyone was trying to be hurtful to others. The eye ointment is just in case you have an STD and dont know it or arnt admitting it. Period. If you know you dont have an STD for sure, there is no need for it. If you still chose to do it, thats your choice-no one is putting anyone down for making that choice. I just dont see the point in doing it myself, when I know I dont have anything.

Again though, I dont know if it might be helpful to prevent extra stuff in a preemie since their immune systems arnt fully developed. I was so out of it when they asked I couldnt make a real decision anyway. But in a normal full term infant? Yeah, its for the STDs, not scary hospital bacteria (no one should be putting their hands in your babies eyes anyway).

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10
#32 of 42 Old 08-17-2008, 02:04 PM
Banned

Well it is an antibiotic that is prescribed for more than one type of bacteria. I don't think it's irrational to give it as a precaution even if you're absolutely certain you don't have any STDs (which certainty, I'm sure, is held even by a lot of people who DO have stds.)

I also think it makes perfect sense to prefer giving an essentially low-risk treatment rather than deal with battles or social work calls, if that's going to be the case where you live. But I guess some people have a higher tolerance for scrutiny and conflict than I do.
#33 of 42 Old 08-17-2008, 03:09 PM

i just have a low tolerance w/ the drs. or govt. telling me my kid needs something that we are at no risk for...so i guess thats where i am coming from.

and antibiotics scare teh heck out me. we dont do them, short of a life threatening disease. it keeps the body healthy to keep that stuff away if there is no medical necessity.
#34 of 42 Old 08-17-2008, 06:34 PM

We aren't doing it.

I would rather save antibiotics for when they are needed. But I try to be careful about them getting drugs when they don't need them.
#35 of 42 Old 08-17-2008, 07:52 PM

Well, the "low risk" part of the treatment is debatable. There are some theories about a correlation between the increase in long-term effects of near-sightedness and when this treatment started becoming routine. And then there is the general overuse of antibiotics risk of creating superbugs that can't be treated with antibiotics.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#36 of 42 Old 08-17-2008, 09:16 PM
Banned

Oooh nearsightedness uhoh! Well my kid's going to be nearsighted no matter what and trust me, there are worse things.

Doesn't anyone else just get weary of fighting every.little.thing? It's kind of silly IMHO. You can come up with a reason to discredit ANYTHING, really, and in most cases, someone has. I guess I'm the only one who just doesn't see the point of going into birth like I'm starting a massive court battle.
#37 of 42 Old 08-17-2008, 09:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ladies, this poll was meant to share your individual choices on this topic with your DDC. This isn't a debate thread or a debate forum. If you'd like to have a drawn out discussion on the pros and cons of the eye ointment, that needs to take place in Birth and Beyond, perferably minus the snarkiness.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#38 of 42 Old 08-18-2008, 02:16 AM

I suppose it might be different if its a huge battle where you happen to be and whatnot. I dont know how much I'd be willing to fight this particular thing. However, in most places its not a big deal, you just sign a waiver and thats the end of it, at least according to a lot of people I've talked to. It was the same for me-I signed it along with the Hep B refusal at the same time. Honestly they had more of an issue with me refusing glucose water just because it was hospital policy if a baby was over xx weight. And that I did fight...silly hospitals!

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10
#39 of 42 Old 08-18-2008, 08:43 AM

Who's the best person to talk to about these things - your OB or your pedi?

kati , wife to josh , mama to j&d (7.31.07) marion (9.18.08), feeder of nanuq and gracie lou
#40 of 42 Old 08-18-2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshs_girl View Post
Neither!

I can just say, based on my experience, that if you have a fairly mainstream OB/ and or Pedi, they will VERY strongly urge you to do all of the recommended medical procedures (including all vaccines). So, while you could get their opinion on all of it, you should go into any discussion with either well armed with your own research to back up any views or conclusions you have come to.
As far as sharing your wishes for what procedures are done (or not) to the baby immediately after birth, you could put it into your birth plan, as well as making sure to tell the nurses verbally since they are the ones that administer/conduct most procedures and testing.

sarah, mama to e & j 8/08, and big brother 8/06
#41 of 42 Old 08-18-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshs_girl View Post
Probably a midwife. Less partiality there. My midwife had tons of info, and doesn't care one way or another if you want it or not. Now that is the person to ask. The person who isn't partial one way or another, but is very knowledgeable.

Thea, wife to Daniel Homeschooling Momma to 4 beautiful, engergetic children.
#42 of 42 Old 08-18-2008, 02:36 PM

i guess thats the beauty of a homebirth w/ a MW who isnt into a bunch of interventions..i dont have to fight about any of this stuff. I do my research and figure out what i want and dont want (mostly dont want) and my MW is great w/ that. Same w/ seeking a naturopath...she understands and agrees w/ my line of thinking, so again..no fighting.

we are pretty alternative when it comes to medicines of any sort though. the ONLY thing we are doing is the PKU, potentially (we wont unless we can find a lab that will destroy his DNA b/c i dont want it banked).

im confident that what we are doing is the best for my family. after reading through the research, i can understand why some would chose to accept some of the interventions....i think we each just need to respect that not all of us come to the same conclusions.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page