Are you doing the erythromycin eye ointment? - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Are you doing the erythromycin eye ointment?
Yes...right after the birth 5 6.41%
Yes...but with some delay 9 11.54%
No 60 76.92%
We haven't decided yet 4 5.13%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 42 Old 08-15-2008, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
#2 Are you doing the erythromycin eye ointment after birth for baby?
#2 of 42 Old 08-15-2008, 10:32 PM

No, I am not. I don't see the point, as I do not have the STD's that would cause the blindness or problems.
#3 of 42 Old 08-15-2008, 10:42 PM

I'm not sure- we did it w/ds, as we were told it was mainly to protect him from "hospital bacteria" (they screen for STD's during prenatal care, and I have none)- but this time I don't think I buy that logic. I want to get my m/w's views on it during our next appt., but at this point I'm leaning towards no.

sarah, mama to e & j 8/08, and big brother 8/06
#4 of 42 Old 08-15-2008, 10:44 PM

No I think it interferes with bonding and is unnecessary.

AP crunchy homeschooling mama to Henning (1/4/03), Connor (7/1/05) and Elijah (9/21/08) Forever holding my 3 lost little ones in my heart.
#5 of 42 Old 08-15-2008, 11:08 PM

NO! There is no reason to here.
#6 of 42 Old 08-16-2008, 12:02 AM

The eye ointment is for protection against STD's. My husband and I are monogamous and do not have any infections.
#7 of 42 Old 08-16-2008, 12:18 AM

Does anyone know the protocol for refusing the eye treatment? I have read that in some states they will call CPS if you refuse it! Is it 'mandatory' in every state?

#8 of 42 Old 08-16-2008, 02:31 AM

We're not doing it. I've heard of CPS being called in New York. I think that's ridiculous, since there's no reason to do it if you don't have gonorrhea or chlamydia.

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#9 of 42 Old 08-16-2008, 02:57 AM

no way. ive never had an std and id rather my baby not have his eyes all gunked up right when he needs them the most :<
#10 of 42 Old 08-16-2008, 05:08 AM

In our state, it is mandatory that caregivers OFFER the test to you, but it is not mandatory that you ACCEPT it. But sometimes hospital staff seem to not quite get this distinction.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#11 of 42 Old 08-16-2008, 09:01 AM

No, we are not.
We are not doing anything except MAYBE vit K- but that just depends on how the birth goes. We are still in the air about that.

Shane mama to three boys!! Wife to an amazing man.
#12 of 42 Old 08-16-2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarbear View Post
Does anyone know the protocol for refusing the eye treatment? I have read that in some states they will call CPS if you refuse it! Is it 'mandatory' in every state?
Like a PP said- I dont think it is mandatory- BUT, ask the hospital. We did on our "tour". I asked about everything that was done to a baby once they were born, and what we had to do if we did not want these tests done. Our hospital staff was very understanding and gave us all kinds of info. Basically here in CT, if you do not want it, you do not have to have it. BUT, they do have you sign consent forms etc so you know that you are declining. Also, b/c a lot of this is routine, they also said to be clear when you go in for labor and once baby is born that you do not want these things done- most of the time the nurse just does it automatically b/c it is, unfortunatly, the "norm" and you have to remind them- better yet, put it in your birth plan!

Shane mama to three boys!! Wife to an amazing man.
#13 of 42 Old 08-16-2008, 11:45 AM

I don't think it is standard here. The midwife didn't say anything about it when I asked her about all the normal procedures.
#14 of 42 Old 08-16-2008, 12:21 PM

No, no reason to.

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
#15 of 42 Old 08-16-2008, 12:22 PM

no. i dont have std's and it causes babies not to be able to see for a long time and interferes w/ nursing in many cases. i can see its usefulness in limited circumstances but not for all babies.
#16 of 42 Old 08-16-2008, 03:07 PM

Nope, we're not doing it.
#17 of 42 Old 08-16-2008, 03:19 PM

No, I do not have gonorrhea. And yes, they have to offer it but you have every right to decline, at least in my state.

Jenny, earth.gif flowersforyou.gif   treehugger.gif gd.gif coolshine.giffamilybed2.gifdust.gif
#18 of 42 Old 08-16-2008, 03:19 PM
Banned

I find it kind of troubling that people try to make this into a moral highhorse issue ("Well *****I****** dont have any stds!") I wish we could make our own decisions without saying things that could be hurtful to others.
#19 of 42 Old 08-16-2008, 03:25 PM

I don't see how it is hurtful to say "I do not have an STD". I would totally do the ABX eye-goop if I had or suspected I might have an STD. And I am not judging any mom who wants to do it as a precaution, 'just to be safe', or for any other reason. Why is it morally high-handed to state the reason I choose not to take such a precaution?

Jenny, earth.gif flowersforyou.gif   treehugger.gif gd.gif coolshine.giffamilybed2.gifdust.gif
#20 of 42 Old 08-16-2008, 03:29 PM
Banned

Nevermind. You know, a lot of people who DO opt for it don't believe they have an STD either. I think making this into a "people who have STDs vs those who do not" issue is impolite. That's all.
#21 of 42 Old 08-16-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalemilk View Post
Nevermind. You know, a lot of people who DO opt for it don't believe they have an STD either. I think making this into a "people who have STDs vs those who do not" issue is impolite. That's all.
Just curious-- why would someone opt for it (other than not knowing why it was given) if they didn't have any STDs?

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#22 of 42 Old 08-16-2008, 04:01 PM

I didnt vote cause its complicated. I didnt for my first 3, I did for Kai because I wasnt sure about his being a preemie and stuff and frankly, without knowing and researching it, I felt uncomfortable making a decision. So I let him have it.

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10
#23 of 42 Old 08-16-2008, 04:10 PM

Some people are inclined to take every precaution recommended by their doctor or the hospital staff. A PP mentioned being told that it protects from 'hospital bacteria' floating around. Some people might choose to do it just in case or simply because it is routinely done. It seems that is the case with most moms, not that they are electing to treat baby's eyes with ABX because they 'know' that in their particular case there is a risk of blindness.

#24 of 42 Old 08-16-2008, 04:11 PM

Just a FYI, I've never heard of this outside of the USA
#25 of 42 Old 08-16-2008, 04:22 PM

We won't do it.

Btw in Germany (at the hospitals my friends and family delivered) they only offer it to mothers who tested positive for STDs. That's standard procedure, to screen and offer in case of a positive test result. I don't think it's offensive, it's way better than putting it in every single baby's eyes just because.
I think anyways antibiotics should only ever be used if necessary, never ever as a precaution. And then people wonder why antibiotics won't work anymore and more and more bacteria become resistant. The overuse is terrible and puts everyone at risk - because treatable bacterial infections can become untreatable, and then we're back at square one.
#26 of 42 Old 08-16-2008, 04:32 PM

We don't plan on doing it.
#27 of 42 Old 08-16-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontierpsych View Post
Just curious-- why would someone opt for it (other than not knowing why it was given) if they didn't have any STDs?
When I mentioned this to my OB and some others w/ds they warned me about those scary "hospital bacteria" that could cause eye infections in the baby. Maybe I am more jaded now, but I think that say that to try and convince you to do it in case you have an STD and don't know it. Which is kind of insulting IMO, but I guess it happens and they are just trying to protect babies.

I have done more research this time around, and have read medical studies on the issue that conclude that 'if a mother knows she does not have chlamydia or gonorrhea, it is perfectly reasonable that she should refuse the treatment'.

#28 of 42 Old 08-16-2008, 06:36 PM

I won't be doing it. No need.

Thea, wife to Daniel Homeschooling Momma to 4 beautiful, engergetic children.
#29 of 42 Old 08-16-2008, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

I also think that sometimes you can have gonnorhea and not test positive. So you don't necessarily have to have come out positive to take the precaution. Not that I'm advocating for it, but just because someone does do it does not mean that they know that have an STD. Last time I was pregnant I had some light green discharge through the pregnancy...and they could not figure out what it was (this sometimes is associated with gonnorhea, but I did not come out positive). However, I did do the eye ointment just to be on the safe side. I had been a totally monogamous relationship for many, many years...but there's no telling what you may be a carrier for! Not saying to get the ointment...just saying...don't think it is only for people who know they have an STD.
#30 of 42 Old 08-16-2008, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalemilk View Post
I find it kind of troubling that people try to make this into a moral highhorse issue ("Well *****I****** dont have any stds!") I wish we could make our own decisions without saying things that could be hurtful to others.

i sure wasnt on any high moral horse....thats what it is to treat...since i KNOW i dont have it, i dont see a point in it. as far as the hospital bacteria floating around, i guess i avoid that too by just avoiding the hospital.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page