What will/are you using to wash baby's clothes? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 09-01-2008, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by starparticle View Post
For new clothes I don't use anything...just a double rinse to clear out all the starches.
It's not just starches. New clothes are usually made with un-prewashed fabric, which is treated when manufactured with formaledhye and may have residual dye, among other possible things (unless of course you have organic stuff). I used to work in a fabric store and it was good for at least a mild headache every shift.

http://www.consciouschoice.com/2005/...erica1808.html
#32 of 43 Old 09-01-2008, 10:49 AM

I generally use Biokleen or TJ's cleanliness. I will use All f&c when I can't get down to TJ's or Whole Foods for the others
#33 of 43 Old 09-01-2008, 11:03 AM

We're huge Charlie's Soap fans here! We buy the 5 gallon bucket and split it with 4 other friends. It works out to be about $.09/load when buying in bulk, the soap works wonders, and it is one of the only soaps that doesn't irritate my extremely sensitive skin.

We are a family of Jesus loving urban-nesters living the granola life in a not-so-crunchy city.  Our kids (DS 8, DS 7, DD 4) are home birthed and educated, and we just found out that a new Little will be added to our roost mid-April '14!

#34 of 43 Old 09-01-2008, 11:29 AM

For mamas in Canada - not sure if it's available all over, but we use the detergent from the Soap Exchange. You use a teeny tiny amount and it does a great job with no perfumes! Plus, you bring in your old container for them to refill when you get low - no huge amounts of plastic going into the recycling bin.

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

#35 of 43 Old 09-01-2008, 01:05 PM

I'm using Cheer Free & Clear b/c unlike the All it doesn't have brightners (brighners are bad for cloth diapers) in it. I was using All before, but just changed a month ago. So far I like it.

And like some PP I'm allergic to Tide and a few other soaps. The first instance was when I was really young, so my mom always made sure to only buy certain brands that I was OK with. When my parents split up my dad would just buy whatever detergent he could get his hands on first when he was in the soap isle. I wound up starting to wash my own laundry just so I wouldn't have to get a rash.
#36 of 43 Old 09-01-2008, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ugh. I had no idea about the Dreft thing. That's been what I've used for baby clothes for #1 and #2. I'm a huge scent fan, but I'm also trying to be more aware this time around, so guess I better go shopping!
#37 of 43 Old 09-01-2008, 10:56 PM

Charlies

Mama to DD (10/8/08) and expecting someone new in November!
#38 of 43 Old 09-01-2008, 11:45 PM

I use whatever is on sale between Biokleen, Country Save, and Ecos. I usually get unscented but I am a scent-lover and add my own EOs, lavender for towels and sheets, something else pretty for the clothing. For baby laundry I would just leave out the EOs.

I've actually never used Ecos before but just got it because it was on a good sale. It's lemongrass scented. I don't plan to use anything special for the baby laundry, but I would go back to the unscented stuff if I notice any rash.

Since this is a laundry thread, I'm going to throw out my method for diapers, etc...

With baby #1, after the first diaper of the day, I filled the washer on cold for small load soak. If the diapers are particularly stanky I add Bac-Out. Then I throw diapers in throughout the day, and then run the washer through the "prewash" cycle to agitate and spin it out. Then I add detergent and wash the diapers on "normal" warm/cold, and wash the rest of the family laundry while the diapers are in the dryer. The last of the family laundry gets dried when we go to bed, and we have clean laundry in the morning. Bac-Out works great for us, but I've heard of some people being sensitive to enzyme cleansers like that. If you are not sensitive, it's great for cleaning up pee anywhere in your house.

Now that it's baby#2 and DD has her share of laundry, I may start putting the dipes in a bucket to soak rather than straight into the washer.

I'm a proud mama of two girls! 4/30/06 Madeline, 09/25/08 Amelia
--**I'm here to share my mistakes and learn from yours**--
#39 of 43 Old 09-02-2008, 02:17 AM

I use Mrs Meyers. We use lavender normally but i buy baby blossom too at Babies R Us.

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10
#40 of 43 Old 09-02-2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellarstella View Post
I use whatever is on sale between Biokleen, Country Save, and Ecos. I usually get unscented but I am a scent-lover and add my own EOs, lavender for towels and sheets, something else pretty for the clothing. For baby laundry I would just leave out the EOs.

I've actually never used Ecos before but just got it because it was on a good sale. It's lemongrass scented. I don't plan to use anything special for the baby laundry, but I would go back to the unscented stuff if I notice any rash.

Since this is a laundry thread, I'm going to throw out my method for diapers, etc...

With baby #1, after the first diaper of the day, I filled the washer on cold for small load soak. If the diapers are particularly stanky I add Bac-Out. Then I throw diapers in throughout the day, and then run the washer through the "prewash" cycle to agitate and spin it out. Then I add detergent and wash the diapers on "normal" warm/cold, and wash the rest of the family laundry while the diapers are in the dryer. The last of the family laundry gets dried when we go to bed, and we have clean laundry in the morning. Bac-Out works great for us, but I've heard of some people being sensitive to enzyme cleansers like that. If you are not sensitive, it's great for cleaning up pee anywhere in your house.

Now that it's baby#2 and DD has her share of laundry, I may start putting the dipes in a bucket to soak rather than straight into the washer.
Thank you so much for posting your dipe routine! This is our third child but our first time CDing. I have a 5 gallon bucket ready to roll to hold the dipes, but putting them straight in the washer is another great idea!

We are a family of Jesus loving urban-nesters living the granola life in a not-so-crunchy city.  Our kids (DS 8, DS 7, DD 4) are home birthed and educated, and we just found out that a new Little will be added to our roost mid-April '14!

#41 of 43 Old 09-02-2008, 11:48 AM

We use Biokleen and I love- it works well, no petros and no skin issues for my oldest ds who has major irritations ot everything mainstream.

AP crunchy homeschooling mama to Henning (1/4/03), Connor (7/1/05) and Elijah (9/21/08) Forever holding my 3 lost little ones in my heart.
#42 of 43 Old 09-02-2008, 11:58 AM

I wonder if that would cause your washer to rust over time? I'm using a dry pail. Hopefully that works fine.

I bought all free and clear "commissary" version with no brighteners added and plan to use that for all of our laundry, including diapers. It works out to about 8 cents per load and so far I like it just fine. I find that any f&C or natural detergent doesn't get stains out like conventional does so I use zout to pretreat stains on our clothes.
#43 of 43 Old 09-03-2008, 05:49 PM

I'm a 7th Generation Free and Clear girl. Have been using it exclusively for the past year--ever since I thought I had contatc dermatitis last summer (ended up being poison ivy). Love the 7th generation. Wish they made a nursing stain remover.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page