Would water breaking on bed ruin mattress? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-13-2008, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Or is that just a myth? I don't have anything waterproofing my mattress and wondered whether I should. I know the likelihood of my water breaking in bed is very slim but it's a relatively new mattress and I'd hate to have to buy another one if it gets ruined.

Mother. Doula. Writer. Feminist. Activist. 
Mum to Moo Moo (4) blahblah.gifand EJ (2) bftoddler.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 09-13-2008, 02:40 PM

One day our dog was particularly spiteful. She was already potty trained. I was letting her roam around the house while I was doing laundry and stuff. Well I had just yelled at her about chewing on something. A couple minutes later she just jumped up on my bed and peed a huge amount right in front of me she had this snarky look on her face too. It was definitely on purposed. The mattress was brand new. I was so ticked.

I looked around on the Internet for what to do and even tried to find someone to come out to the house and clean it.

What I wound up doing is buying this stuff called Nature's Miracle which has these enzymes in it. I further soaked the area where she peed with the Nature's Miracle. I use a shop vac to draw out some of it and paper towels. Then I stood the mattress upright in the sun by one of our bedroom windows and I pointed an upright fan at it.

This happened in the morning. By that evening the smell, stain and the wetness were totally gone.

So I'd say if dog pee can't ruin a mattress then amniotic fluid can't.
#3 of 10 Old 09-13-2008, 02:41 PM

Oh yes, especialy if it is a gush of water. Sometimes you get bloody show with it. You would be shocked by the ammount of water that can come out and how quickly the mattress will absorb it.
I would waterproof.

Thea, wife to Daniel Homeschooling Momma to 4 beautiful, engergetic children.
#4 of 10 Old 09-13-2008, 04:47 PM

My water broke in my bed and you couldnt even tell anything happened. Do you have a good mattress cover, not even water proof..will help. I always splurge on mattress pads..get the real thick ones. So when my water broke with my last baby...nothing happened to my mattress. I just washed my matress pad and everything was fine.

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#5 of 10 Old 09-13-2008, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

I have one of those quilted mattress protectors (for lighter stains and stuff) but it's not that thick and it's certainly not waterproof. We have a waterproof sheet but it's for a bed one size smaller than ours (used it on our bed when pg with DD). I was trying to get away with not buying another one because if I don't use it it was a waste of money.

Hmmm, what to do...

Mother. Doula. Writer. Feminist. Activist. 
Mum to Moo Moo (4) blahblah.gifand EJ (2) bftoddler.gif

#6 of 10 Old 09-13-2008, 05:11 PM

I've just been sleeping on a waterproof pad on top of my sheets... i figure it'll catch most of whatever comes out of me... hopefully. lol.

Rachel lady.gif, in love with my baby girl Abigailenergy.gifborn 9/17/08!
#7 of 10 Old 09-13-2008, 11:58 PM

I put a really thin waterproof sheet under our regular mattress pad--don't even know it's there. I was thinking ahead to general fluidy-ness in the bed (baby pee, breastmilk, amniotic fluid) when I put it on a month ago. We just got our first really nice mattress and I don't want anything to happen to it!

Mama to DD (10/8/08) and expecting someone new in November!
#8 of 10 Old 09-14-2008, 12:05 AM

Get a waterproof pad, and then when you go into labor you can put a shower curtain underneath a sheet, plus some chux pads... my water broke in our bed and it is fine.
#9 of 10 Old 09-14-2008, 12:07 AM

Mine broke in bed last time. If I hadn't had the waterproof sheet, it would have been bad. A towel folded in quarters might have done the trick also, not sure. It was a pretty good gush and mec stained. Ahh, fun times.
#10 of 10 Old 09-14-2008, 01:16 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Get a chux pad if nothing else (they have them at places like Walgreens where they keep the Depends and stuff... the package will call them "underpads") and keep it under you while you sleep. The biggest ones will be just the right size.

Any leftover ones can be used as disposable changing pads after the baby is born!

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page