#1 of 29 Old 09-13-2008, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Announcing the arrival of Freya -

September 11, 2008
1:20am
7 lbs 13 oz

She was born into the water and the hands of her mama at home, under the watchful eyes of just her daddy and sister after 1 1/2 hours of labor.

We're all doing wonderfully - Freya has been very sleepy and Sage has been very busy with Grandma Mo.

You can see mostly dressed pictures here.

You can see pictures of right after the birth, here. (Be warned, these are the ones I didn't send to my uncles and grandpa and other people who probably would prefer not to see me naked).

We had an unexpected, although kinda wished for unassisted birth - my mom and the midwife arrived about 1/2 hour after Freya was born - it was just perfect. I'll add a birth story soon!! I couldn't have imagined a better birth - it was awesome!

Birth story:

On Wednesday, the 10th I decided it was time for this little one to come out. I started doing all of the easy, gentle, encouraging things I could think of: ate some pineapple, ate veggies with balsamic vinegar, walked on curbs, put a hot water bottle on my chest, and finally, dh and I had sex right before going to bed. The i-pod wasn't on my nightstand and I was too relaxed to go get it to listen to my hypnobabies script, so I was going to not listen for the first time in months. But I was restless - it felt weird to try to fall asleep without being in hypnosis. And I was having contractions. So I got up to get the i-pod - felt really irritable at my husband's snoring and flopping while listening - stuff that usually doesn't bother me. After just a couple of minutes I needed to get up and walk.

I decided to call my mom. She was going to be coming after the birth to help with Sage and everything else. Also we were planning to just wait and see if we needed her at the birth to be with Sage (depending on the time of day, etc) She lives about 40 minutes away, but I knew she was dropping my cousin off at my sister's house which is about an hour and a half away. Our three houses are in a huge triangle - I wanted to give her a heads-up so she wasn't driving all over the world in the middle of the night. While I didn't really want anyone in my house yet, we decided she should come and lay down with Sage. I was having contractions every two minutes, which I thought was weird - they were short and easy.

Meanwhile, Jon woke up - wondered why the heck I was on the phone in the middle of the night. He was very excited - said it felt like the night before Christmas. He was busy straightening up the living room and kitchen and jumping out of my way when I'd march past him during a contraction. Walking quickly felt great! I decided to try the tub, so I went downstairs. Jon lit some candles and brought down my flowers that he and Sage had picked for me that afternoon. I wasn't sure how the tub would feel, since I really wanted to move during contractions. We turned on the hypnobabies script and I got in - it felt nice, but as soon as I had a contraction I needed to get on my hands and knees - and that is where I stayed.

It was so peaceful - just Jon and I - he kissed me, and talked to me in between. At one point I needed "something" - and it really helped when Jon put his hand on my shoulder and said "relax" and counted backwards to deepen my hypnosis - we shut the other script off - it was only distracting me. That was when things intensified for me - I'm guessing it was about 1 am at that point (about an hour after ctx started) Jon talked me through a few more contractions - I had him call my mom to tell her to not dilly - dally.

Suddenly I felt like pushing - next ctx, felt a pop - my water broke. Called the midwife (who lives about 45 minutes away). I wondered where the baby was - just to my second knuckle - I kept saying "It is so close! It is almost here!" Jon seemed nonplussed - didn't really seem to believe me. In the next couple of ctx (s)he crowned - I made Jon feel - (finally he understood) I had my hands on my perineum the whole time - amazing how much we can stretch. This was the most intense time for me. I was telling myself, "gentle, gentle, gentle" but I wasn't really being gentle with my pushes - I really wanted her out.

And then she was - her head at least - which is about the best feeling in the whole world. Jon said, "Should I go get Sage??" I said, " If you hurry!" He barreled up the stairs - I yelled to him not to scare her! Meanwhile I had my hand on the baby's head - felt it turn back and forth , which was really cool. They came back down and sat on the ball, right in front of me - I was kneeling, facing them - next ctx came, I pushed, she was born, and I pulled her up to my chest. There she was! We didn’t know she was a she, though - I think sage asked - Jon looked - it is a girl! We did it!!! Only an hour and a half, start to finish. It was so fast, so perfect. My mom got there about 20 minutes later and the midwife 10 minutes after that. I couldn't have imagined a better birth. She nursed right away and has been a sleepy mellow wonderful baby ever since.
#2 of 29 Old 09-13-2008, 10:34 PM

Yay Marisa, and welcome Freya! Your pictures are great. I can't wait to hear all the details. * Jaime
#3 of 29 Old 09-13-2008, 10:43 PM

Congratulations to you and your family! Freya is a beautiful baby and your pics are great!
I'm looking forward to your birth story!
::::::
#4 of 29 Old 09-13-2008, 11:01 PM

Congratulations! Your pictures are great, and Freya is adorable! Many blessings to you and your family. :
#5 of 29 Old 09-13-2008, 11:17 PM

Wow... i can't believe i have one of those inside me right now! ahh! She's so beautiful. You look great in your pictures too. Congrats!

Rachel lady.gif, in love with my baby girl Abigailenergy.gifborn 9/17/08!
#6 of 29 Old 09-13-2008, 11:23 PM

Wow, what beautiful pics and you look gorgeous and so serene. Baby is adorable and I love her name!

Wife to dh, Mommy to ds1 12/2002, ds2 9/2005, and ds3 9/2008.
#7 of 29 Old 09-14-2008, 05:02 AM

Congratulations:
#8 of 29 Old 09-14-2008, 06:13 AM

Congratulations Marisa, she is just beautiful and it looks like it was such a peaceful birth. Enjoy the babymoon! :

Mother. Doula. Writer. Feminist. Activist. 
Mum to Moo Moo (4) blahblah.gifand EJ (2) bftoddler.gif

#9 of 29 Old 09-14-2008, 06:16 AM

Welcome to the world, Freya! Beautiful baby & family & I love her name

Loving mama to magical boys Skyler (11/21/03) and Gryffin Emrys (9/30/08). 

#10 of 29 Old 09-14-2008, 06:54 AM

Those pictures are gorgeous. Congratulations!!!

Alicewyf knit.gif , wife to DH reading.gif and mama to toddler Lillian energy.gif (7/09)!

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**stork-boy.gif40

Prayerfully expecting our little BOY in June of 2012! And so excited to be cd.gif and bfinfant.gifagain!

#11 of 29 Old 09-14-2008, 08:41 AM

not in you ddc
but I have to say..What a beautiful child
Congratulations mama

Natasha,Mum to many.
"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." ~ Sir Winston Churchill
#12 of 29 Old 09-14-2008, 10:42 AM

You all look so happy and serene! Congratulations!
#13 of 29 Old 09-14-2008, 10:59 AM

Awww, welcome to the world little Freya!!! She is precious and you look great mama. I adore your bathtub, and walls... yummy.
#14 of 29 Old 09-14-2008, 11:02 AM

Congratulations!

Mom to DD#1 8/04, nursed 43 months, DD#2 8/06, nursed 21 months and DD#3 9/08, still nursing strong
#15 of 29 Old 09-14-2008, 11:10 AM

: She is lovely! Congrats mama! :
#16 of 29 Old 09-14-2008, 12:50 PM

She's beautiful - and you look great! Not at all like you just labored and delivered a baby!

Congrats
#17 of 29 Old 09-14-2008, 01:14 PM

Congratulations!!! Welcome Freya!! Great name. I sure am excited to read your birth story when you can post. Woohoo!
#18 of 29 Old 09-14-2008, 01:43 PM

congratulations!!! sounds like the perfect birth. beautiful pictures... enjoy!!!
#19 of 29 Old 09-14-2008, 01:51 PM

Congratulations! What a gorgeous baby.
#20 of 29 Old 09-14-2008, 02:57 PM

Congratulations! She is precious.

One Mom, Three Kids. Life is Great.

#21 of 29 Old 09-14-2008, 03:22 PM

beautiful! congrats!!

Vegan mama to DD (9/08), DS (9/11), and many rescued furbabies. 

#22 of 29 Old 09-15-2008, 04:11 PM

Congrats mama, sounds amazing!
#23 of 29 Old 09-15-2008, 04:22 PM

Congratulations!!!

Daniela ~ Mami to Thalia Adelita (born 10/05/08)
#24 of 29 Old 09-15-2008, 08:36 PM

Welcome Baby! :
#25 of 29 Old 09-16-2008, 12:50 PM

Welcome Freya!! And many congratulations to you, Marisa!! Let us know when you post the birth story!
#26 of 29 Old 09-16-2008, 02:51 PM

She is beautiful!!! Congrats mama!:

Mom of 8 children 4 Boys : and 4 girls :2 dogs named Kibblez and Brook , sadly miss my Husband that passed 03/03/2007 !Trully Miss my Brother Joey that passed on 3/25/09..

#27 of 29 Old 09-17-2008, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Added my lengthy birth story to the OP- I think it took more more time to write the story than the actual birth...literally...

Also - I've been adding new pictures!
#28 of 29 Old 09-17-2008, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by immamama View Post
Awww, welcome to the world little Freya!!! She is precious and you look great mama. I adore your bathtub, and walls... yummy.
Thank you - we just finished that - that room still doesn't have a sink. My dad did all of the tiling (ok - he did almost the whole darn thing...). It was a perfect place to give birth - energy was great in there.
#29 of 29 Old 09-20-2008, 02:37 PM

awww, how great.
our little girls share a birthday- and were both home water births (in our own tubs).
I love the photos- very sweet. congrats, mama!!

modern-mama to DS (5.16.05) and DD (9.11.08) and one more (GIRL!) coming in December

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page