Warning, please read. Re: edema/swelling after birth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 09-22-2008, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well ok, here's what has been going on with me. I thought I would share in case someone else ends up in my shoes. Sure wish I would have known what I know now about how dangerous edema can be.

So I got home Friday with Chloe. All was well. I had told my dr and every nurse that week that my feet and arms, and legs even, were killing me from the swelling. I had severe edema about a day after Chloe was born it started.

It was unreal to be honest how my feet and legs looked. My hands were numb, and hurt so bad I was sleeping with ice packs on them.

The dr and all the nurses said it's normal to swell after birth, etc. I know with my others this never happened, but every pregnancy is different right? So I listened to them.

Finally Thursday I complained enough that they gave me a half of a 40 mg. Lasix pill (water pill).

It didn't do much. I peed a little, but nothing major.

I left Friday still complaining about how bad it hurt and looked and was assured that give it a week or so and it would either be sweat out or peed out through my system and all would be well.

I was told to drink tea and coffee, eat watermelon, etc to help get rid of the water. None of that seemed to help.

Saturday night around 10 pm I started getting short of breath but blew it off as me doing too much that day. I had a lot of visitors come to the house, people dying to see Chloe and all that. I thought I just overdid it and needed to rest.

I went to bed.

At around 2 am I woke up from a horrible nightmare in which I was dreaming that I was drowning and couldn't get to the surface of the water to breathe.

Turns out I had the dream because it was reality! I could not breathe even after waking up! I stood up and started shaking like a leaf - totally out of my control, couldn't stop shaking and teeth shattering.

I took my temp and was running fever, though not terribly high - just 99.8.

I hopped in the shower and the warm water helped to stop the shaking and shattering. It helped, but I still could not breathe. I was gasping.

I woke my husband and as best I could I told him what was going on. He jumped up and started getting his clothes on. I called the hospital to tell them what was going on and they said to get to the ER immediately.

A friend drove to my house and stayed with the 3 sleeping older kiddos and off we went to the ER with Chloe in tow (since I am her food source).

I thought for sure I wouldn't make it. I was unable to catch my breath, was bawling, etc all the way there. I thought this is it, I am gonna die like this? It was a horrible feeling.

We get to the ER and they are rushed taking care of me. Like I knew the way they were acting it was probably very serious because normally they just take their time at the ER if it's not something major.

They insert and IV and shuffle me back to have an x-ray.

The dr. comes back in and orders the nurse to give me morphine and a shot of 60 mg of lasix in my IV. She does. The morphine did NOTHING for the severe pain I was having in my back between my shoulder blades and in my chest. It felt like an elephant was sitting on my back and front. I couldn't make my lungs open up. It was HORRIBLE. A horrible feeling, totally.

They come back with the results from the x-ray. Not good. My lungs are filled with fluid.

The dr. (who I had told my dream to) said that basically had I not woke up the dream would have came true. I could have just slept right through it and died in my sleep, drowning in fluids in my lungs.

He ordered all kinds of tests on me. My bloodwork on my kidneys came back fine. Everything else was fine, the ekg - etc. I don't even know what all tests they did - they were in and out constantly taking blood.

So the lasix kicks in and I am literally sitting on the toilet and pee is just running out of me in a steady stream. No pushing or anything. Peeing out 1000's of cc at a time.

What happened ladies isn't that uncommon. When the fluid from the edema/swelling let loose in my body it decided to settle in my lungs.

PLEASE if you have swelling and you have ANY signs of shortness of breath
don't blow it off as just being worn out like I did. Get to the dr/hospital and be seen immediately PLEASE!

So anyways - after 4 rounds of lasix at a big 60 mg a pop through my iv... and after peeing off 31# of water (YES YOU HEARD ME RIGHT, I lost 31# overnight!) I am home now.

They released me this afternoon. My feet and hands and body look so much better. There is still a little bit of edema on my feet (the tops and the ankles) but nothing like there was... nothing even near what there was!

Ohh and they let Chloe stay with me. Gave us a double room so there would be plenty of room. I had to have an adult stay with me though to take care of her in case they needed to take me out of the room for testing or if (God forbid) something went wrong.

Hubby stayed there late last night, then went home to the older kiddos, and my best friend stayed the night with me until my husband came back this morning and relieved her so she could go to work.

I am so thankful that I am alive, and ok! Praise God!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 33 Old 09-22-2008, 11:54 PM

WOW...I AM SO GLAD YOU ARE OK

sorry for caps 1ht
#3 of 33 Old 09-22-2008, 11:56 PM

OMG! I'm so glad you're alive too! I wish they'd given you better instructions re: if you feel short of breath, come in. So sorry you had to go through all that .

I'm a proud mama of two girls! 4/30/06 Madeline, 09/25/08 Amelia
--**I'm here to share my mistakes and learn from yours**--
#4 of 33 Old 09-23-2008, 12:13 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
omg, that's so terrible. glad you're okay! and thanks for posting - now we're all on alert!! (31 pounds, that's insane!)

Vegan mama to DD (9/08), DS (9/11), and many rescued furbabies. 

#5 of 33 Old 09-23-2008, 12:14 AM

Wow, bless your heart. Glad you are getting better.

Wife of 20 years to my superhero firefighting DH. SAHM to 2 boys and 2 girls (3 babies in Heaven- Baby # 5 5/2010 & Baby #6 8/2011 & Baby # 7 2/1013). Cancer Survivor 2011 ( Persistent Malignant Gestational Trophoblastic Disease)

#6 of 33 Old 09-23-2008, 12:16 AM

Oh my goodness, I am so sorry. Just thinking what that must have felt like is frightening! (I'm asthmatic and feeling like you can't breath is terrifying) 31 pounds, that is wild!

I'm so glad you are okay. Praise God, indeed!
#7 of 33 Old 09-23-2008, 12:24 AM

Oh my gosh. I've never even heard of anything like this. I probably would have done the same thing and just blown it off based on what the doctors said. So glad you are OK!
#8 of 33 Old 09-23-2008, 12:26 AM

OMG, that's so scary. I had some bad swelling too but NOTHING like that!
#9 of 33 Old 09-23-2008, 12:26 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Glad you survived; your family needs you.

I had a friend who had a caesarean section for her fourth child, was released only to return in a couple of days with thrombo-embolisms and had to have her jeans cut off of her in the ER and was given plenty of anti-coagulants to get her blood to thin out. She could hardly walk.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#10 of 33 Old 09-23-2008, 12:30 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!
#11 of 33 Old 09-23-2008, 12:44 AM

This happened to me also after my C/S...I'm so sorry you went through this

I know all about the ice packs at night and the choking on your own lungs - it is really terrifying!
#12 of 33 Old 09-23-2008, 12:46 AM

HOLY MOLY! Thank you for sharing your story and I'm so glad you are okay!
#13 of 33 Old 09-23-2008, 12:58 AM
Banned

Wow, I'm glad you are ok, and glad you woke up when you did! How terrifying.
#14 of 33 Old 09-23-2008, 01:27 AM

holy crap! I had no idea. Thank you so much for sharing this, and I am so glad you are okay!
#15 of 33 Old 09-23-2008, 01:44 AM

Praise God is right mama!!! I am so sorry you had to go through this and so thankful that you are okay!!
#16 of 33 Old 09-23-2008, 01:46 AM

How awful and terrifying for you! I am so sorry you had to go through this but so happy you are ok and it was caught before you got worse! Now you can focus on feeling better and snuggling with your new baby!
#17 of 33 Old 09-23-2008, 01:51 AM

Oh my goodness, thank you so much for sharing your story! I never would have known this could happen otherwise. I'm so sorry you had to go through this and so glad you're okay.

Hugs!

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#18 of 33 Old 09-23-2008, 01:53 AM

Oh my gosh, that is awful. I'm glad you are okay now! Did they have any idea of what causes this to happen?
#19 of 33 Old 09-23-2008, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsofia View Post
Oh my gosh, that is awful. I'm glad you are okay now! Did they have any idea of what causes this to happen?
Well they gave me many many bags of iv fluid during delivery and afterwards (coupled with pitocin to get my uterus contracting back down to size... I had severe polyhydramnios and my uterus was majorly overstretched and wasn't wanting to contract back down like it should).

Other than that, they really don't know why my body decided to hang on to the water. Estrogen is a strong factor they said. It's like 3 thousand times stronger when you are pregnant, just surging through you... and it causes your body to retain water, etc.
#20 of 33 Old 09-23-2008, 10:03 AM

Oh my gosh! I am so glad you are doing better. 31#! Wow! I cannot imagine.

Kathryn, Wife to Andrew, Mama to Nadia (5) and Rhys (2)
#21 of 33 Old 09-23-2008, 10:22 AM

Wow, you are so lucky to survive pulmonary edema that severe! Glad that you are both ok!

"Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life?"~Mary Oliver

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.
#22 of 33 Old 09-23-2008, 10:37 AM

woah! that is so crazy. Thanks so much for sharing, I probably would have written off the swelling since I've had so much of it during pregnancy.

Mama to DD (10/8/08) and expecting someone new in November!
#23 of 33 Old 09-23-2008, 10:48 AM

I'm glad you're okay. That's pretty scary. I know it hard with kids to take care of, but I hope you're able to get some rest and continue feeling better.

Mama to two sweet girls, L (2/06) and Z (9/08)
#24 of 33 Old 09-23-2008, 12:37 PM

Wow! 31 pounds? I felt like I peed a ton after delivery, but nothing like that!

Thank you so much for sharing your story. Hopefully no one else experiences this, but it's good to have the knowledge.

I'm so glad they let the baby stay with you. And that you are doing well.
#25 of 33 Old 09-23-2008, 01:05 PM

Oh my word, how scary! I'm so glad you're OK. Thank you for the info!
#26 of 33 Old 09-23-2008, 01:16 PM

glad you are ok.

modern-mama to DS (5.16.05) and DD (9.11.08) and one more (GIRL!) coming in December
#27 of 33 Old 09-23-2008, 03:17 PM

I'm so glad you're okay and that you woke up from that dream. Take extra special care of yourself mama.

Mother. Doula. Writer. Feminist. Activist. 
Mum to Moo Moo (4) blahblah.gifand EJ (2) bftoddler.gif

#28 of 33 Old 09-23-2008, 04:49 PM

I'm so glad you are doing better!!

Thank you for sharing - I hadn't heard of such a thing!
#29 of 33 Old 09-23-2008, 05:37 PM

Thank goodness you are ok! And thanks for sharing the info -- this is really useful to know about...
#30 of 33 Old 09-24-2008, 12:37 AM

Hi Immama!

How are you feeling? I've been thinking about your experience and hope you are back to normal!
:
Montse

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page