Ugh... I have a cold! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-14-2008, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, we went over to visit my friend, and her 20 month old got me sick! I didn't know her kid was sick... or I wouldn't have gone over there. Somehow miraculously, my babe is still fine though. I'm sneezing like crazy and have a sore throat. Is there anything I can take to make me feel a little better while breastfeeding, or do I have to suffer through this cold?

Rachel lady.gif, in love with my baby girl Abigailenergy.gifborn 9/17/08!
#2 of 9 Old 10-14-2008, 09:54 PM

Try drinking water with a few drops of Grapefruit Seed Extract. You can get it from a natural grocery store or vitamin store. You should continue to breastfeed because all the antibodies your body is producing to fight off your cold is now going to your baby which is great.
#3 of 9 Old 10-14-2008, 11:44 PM

Many cold medications are safe for breastfeeding. So little of any medication a mama takes gets into her milk. Where did I see a chart of common medicines that were safe while breastfeeding . . . oh! It was the Sears Baby Book. Hold please while I look it up . . . .

The Sears' give the "green light" to antihistamines and decongestants, as well as ordinary OTC pain killers like acetaminaphen and ibuprofen, if you're achy or feverish.

If you don't want to take OTC medications, you can have warm soup or tea, use a neti pot, set up a humidifier in your room, etc. and snuggle in bed with your baby!

Feel better soon!

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

#4 of 9 Old 10-15-2008, 01:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys! Yeah, a friend also told me that my baby should be fine because i'm breastfeeding. She said she got all sorts of colds with her first while breastfeeding her and never passed them to the baby. I'm lucky I only live two blocks from a walgreens pharmacy. I can just hop over there and grab some cold medicine. Today I took a nice long nap. Made DH watch the baby for a while. He was about halfway understanding. Halfway as in he was understanding for the first half of my nap... and then wanted me to take the baby.

#5 of 9 Old 10-15-2008, 11:16 AM

I'm sick too

kati , wife to josh , mama to j&d (7.31.07) marion (9.18.08), feeder of nanuq and gracie lou
#6 of 9 Old 10-15-2008, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshs_girl View Post
I'm sick too
not a fun club to join

#7 of 9 Old 10-20-2008, 08:08 AM

I think I'm coming down with a cold too. I've been drinking a ton of OJ, eating lots of raw garlic, and drinking hot echinacea tea with honey.

Me+DH (2006)
DS (2005)
DD (2008)
#8 of 9 Old 10-20-2008, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfunkyfantastic View Post
He was about halfway understanding. Halfway as in he was understanding for the first half of my nap... and then wanted me to take the baby.
Sounds like mine. As soon as she even hints at a hungry cue he's like, "She really needs to eat now. You need to take her back." Which I do and if I'm in the middle of something can usually distract her for quite a bit longer.
#9 of 9 Old 10-20-2008, 10:04 PM

This is our third breastfed baby and my DH finally doesn't do that. He helps him calm down with the paci or positioning and if he just really can't he'll ask how close I am to ready to nurse. If I'm no where near (or in a couple of cases, still 10 minutes away from home), he takes it upon himself to heat up a bottle of milk for him. It's GREAT, but very different from how he was with the other two!!

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page