Gennavieve's Birth story - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-21-2008, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I've finally gotten around to writting this out here. It's been a very rocky start for the poor babe, but I'll get into that on a new thread about her 2 wk check up

Anyhow, Sept 30th, 7:30pm I had my first real contraction. I had been having braxton hicks forever and a day, but I knew this one was different because it was a lot more crampy... but I wasn't sure it was "time" yet so I sat down and ate dinner (which was a bologna sandwich courtesy of my 7 year old). I had another one at about 7:40ish, and another around 8:15ish, so I figured it was "IT" and I got excited. Since it was getting a bit late in the evening we went ahead and started getting the kids ready for bed (though we were taking them to my IL's house for the night they still had to bathe and get pj's on and such).

9:30pm came and the contractions were getting closer together, so I went and told DH that we should think about getting the kids over to his parents house (around the corner) so we can go when we need to (We were birthing at the hospital, since I was too anemic to have her at the birth center, but the midwives have privelages at the hospital so I still got my fave one to deliver ). He was on the computer playing one of those Myspace games, and just kind of tuned me out... I was sitting next to him trying to breath through a contraction when he finally looked over at me and said "Oh, you really mean it, don't you? You're really in labor!" ... uh, yeah.. duh!

So, at 10pm I call the midwives and that's when I find out that my fave one will be meeting me at the hospital, and I was told to go in when I felt ready, but not to wait *too* long, since they want to do a U/S to make sure she didn't flip back breech (she had just turned head down from breech a few days prior). We leave right after we get off the phone, take the kids to the IL's house, and DH's mom follows us to the hospital at 10:10pm.

We arrive at the hospital, and I have to pee as soon as we get there, so after a couple of contractions on the toilet trying to pee, without DH there to help me (SMALL bathroom) I decided screw natural childbirth, I need some drugs... we make it back to the triage type room where they make me lie down for the U/S (yes, I asked if they could do it standing and they said no ) and after telling everyone I was in need of some drugs my doula shows up () and suggests we wait until they check me to see where we are and go from there...

So, at 10:45pm I am checked, and found to be at 8 cm already! Imagine MY suprise... the last birth I had once I reached the "I give up gimme drugs" point I was still at 4cm.. and here I was sitting at 8! I decided then that I had made it that far, I CAN do it... so I said never mind to the drugs...

We then move into the labor/delivery/recovery room (the largest one they had, I was told) and continued to labor, mostly on my knees leaning over the back of the raised head of the bed. At 11:45 the midwife checked me, and I was 9.5 with a little lip left and said I could push whenever I felt the urge... But that's the thing. I had had drugs with all 4 of my other births (epis with the most recent 4), so the urge to push? I had no idea what that was... I felt a *little* urge, so I gave it a go... and after a half-assed push it just wasn't doing it for me, so the MW suggested I sit on the portable toilet that was next to the bed... I said okay, and moved over to there, and as soon as I sat down WHAM.. so THAT'S what the urge to push is like! It's not really an urge, more like a tidal wave you had to go with or you'd get knocke flat on your back and get rolled over...

After a coupel pushes sitting there my MW said in her sweet voice "you know, I'd rather you not give birth sitting on the toilet, because the bottom is just hard plastic and I don't want her to hurt her head"... and I replied in a low, gutteral (sp?) tone "Then you'd better move the 'f'ing toilet: (I was later told by my doula that everyone thought that was quite funny and were laughing about it, which is good, because I later felt bad about cursing at her )... So she (MW), my doula and DH got me up and standing next to the bed, and at 12:02am, Oct. 1st, Gennavieve Joy was born, after about 10 min of actual pushing. She weighed 9 lbs 9 oz (though that was later questioned... she seemed smaller) and was 20.5 in tall... Something the MW thought was odd and said was very rare was that I never felt the ring of fire everyone always takls about...

Afterwards things kind of went downhill for me... I wouldn't stop bleeding... the MW reached up and tried to get whatever was left in me out (after the placenta came out) and was able to get some mebranes that were stuck, but I still wouldn't stop bleeding. at 4am I ended up having to go to surgery and get put under for a D&C to find out what was wrong and why I was bleeding.. turned out to be part of the placenta hadn't come out...
So, after my 5th L&D, my first ever drug free one, I ended up with morphine and getting put under : go figure, huh?

All in all it was a great experience, by far the best labor/deliver I've ever had, and my doula said it was amazing to be a part of (she's still in training, and I think I was her 2nd or 3rd birth )

The next 2 weeks didn't go very well for the poor babe, but I'm off to start another thread about that whole ordeal...

♥ SAHM to my 5 kiddos ♥
2/01, 12/02, 4/05, 7/06 and 10/08
#2 of 4 Old 10-21-2008, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter

I also wanted to add, when I was laboring on the bed on my knees, I asked a couple times "Isn't there just a little something I could take for the pain?" and my MW replied "Sure.. it's called birth..." LOL.. I just thought that was funny (and great, since she KNEW I really didn't want anything... not *really*)

♥ SAHM to my 5 kiddos ♥
2/01, 12/02, 4/05, 7/06 and 10/08
#3 of 4 Old 10-31-2008, 11:28 AM

Awesome birth story! I really enjoyed reading it and congratulations!
:
#4 of 4 Old 10-31-2008, 12:09 PM

i loved reading your birthstory!! (i'm not in your DDC, but due soon so I am drawn to birthstories like moths to fire lol) My 3rd birth i never felt the "ring of fire" either. it was also my first unmedicated birth. as he was descending down the birth canal, i did feel a *tiny* bit of burning up top, near the clitoris and i just instinctually breathed through it...it didn't last long at all though and when he crowned there wasn't any pain except intense pressure and the pain of the pubic bones doing thier thing. I am hopeful and curious if this next birth (due in 2 weeks!) will be the same.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page