Now baby has my cold... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 10-23-2008, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I guess baby wasn't entirely protected from getting my cold. She has it and is now all stuffed up. Poor thing. The other night she was trying to nurse but would pop off after only two seconds and just start bawling. I realized that she couldn't breathe! Poor thing. Had to use the little bulb thing on her to clear out her little nose so she could breathe and nurse. She's just miserable... and I wish that there was something I could do for her. I know she can't have any medications... since she's only 5 weeks old. So what else can I do for her? Anyone know?

Rachel lady.gif, in love with my baby girl Abigailenergy.gifborn 9/17/08!
#2 of 11 Old 10-23-2008, 07:14 PM

My girls have had it for the past couple weeks too- their brother is a new preschool attendee, so he is bringing home all sorts of bugs :
Saline drops in her nose will help, then suction & if you can prop her up to sleep that helps also. And a cool mist humidifier- good luck, it's no fun I know!

sarah, mama to e & j 8/08, and big brother 8/06
#3 of 11 Old 10-23-2008, 07:15 PM

If it's effecting her ability to nurse she might need to be seen by a medical professional. If she just wakes up with it in the morning and goes away once the day progresses then she should be fine. You can try squirting breastmilk in her nose, that will help break it up and get some bm "goodies" up there. Cont to offer the breast as much as possible, your body is making antibodies to fight off this cold and your baby is getting them too...via your milk...so keep nursing as much as possible.

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#4 of 11 Old 10-23-2008, 08:27 PM

nak its not uncommon for babies to get stuffy around 4-8 weeks and doesnt necessarily mean they have a cold unless they have green snot or a fever. saline and a snot sucker is the best way to deal w newborn sniffles...no meds

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#5 of 11 Old 10-23-2008, 11:00 PM

Saline, snot sucker and steam - try taking her in the shower with you (well, put her in the room, not necessarily the shower since you don't want to burn her!).

kati , wife to josh , mama to j&d (7.31.07) marion (9.18.08), feeder of nanuq and gracie lou
#6 of 11 Old 10-26-2008, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshs_girl View Post
Saline, snot sucker and steam - try taking her in the shower with you (well, put her in the room, not necessarily the shower since you don't want to burn her!).
i take my LO in the shower with me with warm water and he lovesssss it! helps a lot with the conjestion

Faiza married and with , mama to DS (09.23.08) and with #2 (due in June 2010).
#7 of 11 Old 10-29-2008, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamato3wild ponnie View Post
You can try squirting breastmilk in her nose, that will help break it up and get some bm "goodies" up there.
My baby's pedi recommended this course of action as well. She is a little stuffed up but I haven't tried it. I am nervous about dropping liquid in her nose - not sure how far to squirt, etc.
#8 of 11 Old 10-31-2008, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter

My mom took a shower with her. The baby loved it. Didn't cry a bit. She must be like me. I always hated baths. I prefered showers as soon as my parents let me start taking them. I think i'll start this girl early on those! lol.

#9 of 11 Old 11-01-2008, 07:34 PM

Subbing from the November DDC, as we seem to get nonstop colds in the winter and I'm dreading how to deal with a cold in a newborn. My first kid was born in May and didn't get sick once til the following February. Boy was I lucky!

Anyway, some good suggestions here. Thanks!

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

#10 of 11 Old 11-09-2008, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montse View Post
My baby's pedi recommended this course of action as well. She is a little stuffed up but I haven't tried it. I am nervous about dropping liquid in her nose - not sure how far to squirt, etc.
we use an eyedropper, and just drip a drop or two of milk in each nostril, when his head is leaned back. if i had better aim i would squirt a little straight from the breast, but i am not quick enough to hit that squirming target!

bm both loosens the congestion and (i have heard) kills bacteria and viruses on contact.

Jenny, earth.gif flowersforyou.gif   treehugger.gif gd.gif coolshine.giffamilybed2.gifdust.gif
#11 of 11 Old 11-09-2008, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenmary View Post
bm both loosens the congestion and (i have heard) kills bacteria and viruses on contact.
Ooo... fancy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page